Well and truly stuck in the mud. Any tips?

Doug Scullery

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm moored between the Sydney Gardens tunnels and the winding hole by Bath Narrowboats on the K&A canal. As some of you probably know the water level here has dropped drastically (10-12 inches approx) over the last 2 days. It has left us stuck fast on the ground, we have tried everything I can think of to move the boat out into the deeper channel, putting people on the outside gunwhale while others push from the bank, using the engine (the counter-plate is totally out of the water so the prop seems to be pulling in alot of air), pulling it with another boat, we can't get it to move an inch. We managed to get my friends boat who was moored behind us off the mud, they are currently moored alongside us in the deeper water. We have also spoken to BW who say they are trying to solve the issue, but I'm not sure they know what the cause is yet.

I'm quite scared of the water level rising and the boat staying stuck in the mud, and also of the boat starting to lean more, the drain hole on the canal side of my bow deck is now only about an inch from the water level, it wouldn't take much for water to be able to come in through my vents, which are at deck level either side of the front doors.

Does anybody have any ideas on a) How I can get the boat moving and b ) Prevent things getting worse?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Edited by Doug Scullery

It ought to free itself as the water rises but I can see it can be worrying. As the water rises try and push the boat off, this is what we did in similar circumstances, by the bow as that's the higher end. If you have duct tape or can get hold of any I would stick some over the openings you refer to and seal any other openings, like deck hatches or doors

Hope all goes well

Charles

It ought to free itself as the water rises but I can see it can be worrying. As the water rises try and push the boat off, this is what we did in similar circumstances, by the bow as that's the higher end. If you have duct tape or can get hold of any I would stick some over the openings you refer to and seal any other openings, like deck hatches or doors

Hope all goes well

Charles

Thanks Charles, I will get the duct tape out, that sounds like a good plan.

Doug

The BW staff don't seem to see this as being a problem :angry: We had a similar problem and had to spend a night with a neighbour. BW didn't want to know. :angry:

We are going and don't intend coming back. There are much nicer places to moor.

Sue

Any decent size trees on other side you you can get ropes round to wind it off?

Empty water tank and all loose content to make bow lighter and easier to move.

There is one tree we will try tomorrow, although it looks a bit flimsy I'm not sure how much force we will be able to exert against it. I have thought about emtying the water tank but that causes my stern to drop a couple of inches, I'm a bit concerned it might make things worse?

There is one tree we will try tomorrow, although it looks a bit flimsy I'm not sure how much force we will be able to exert against it. I have thought about emtying the water tank but that causes my stern to drop a couple of inches, I'm a bit concerned it might make things worse?

Even if you're hung up at the stern the change in trim might still assist, although if there's diminishing water I'd be worried about re-filling the tank.

With the second boat firmly tied to the beached boat, put the floating boat in full reverse while trying the other tricks? Could even get a third boat nose-to-tail to get water under at both ends

I'm quite scared of the water level rising and the boat staying stuck in the mud, and also of the boat starting to lean more, the drain hole on the canal side of my bow deck is now only about an inch from the water level, it wouldn't take much for water to be able to come in through my vents, which are at deck level either side of the front doors.

Does anybody have any ideas on a) How I can get the boat moving and b ) Prevent things getting worse?

Thanks in advance

Doug

It's not very likely that you will be stuck in the mud - as the level comes back up the fore end should just come up. If you are worried you can feed a heavy line (or chain ideally) under the fore end and wriggle it back so you can hold either end at each side from within the front well deck, then you pull it up and down to break the suction when the level does rise again. Not much help if you're not on board at the time though.

It's not very likely that you will be stuck in the mud - as the level comes back up the fore end should just come up. If you are worried you can feed a heavy line (or chain ideally) under the fore end and wriggle it back so you can hold either end at each side from within the front well deck, then you pull it up and down to break the suction when the level does rise again. Not much help if you're not on board at the time though.

Whilst I think the advice that the boat is unlikely to be held down by the mud is generally true, I am reliably informed that a boat was sunk in Berkhamsted precisely because it stuck in the mud when the pound emptied, but failed to "unstick" when it was refilled.

So it can happen, apparently, which surprised me when I was first told.

Whilst I think the advice that the boat is unlikely to be held down by the mud is generally true, I am reliably informed that a boat was sunk in Berkhamsted precisely because it stuck in the mud when the pound emptied, but failed to "unstick" when it was refilled.

On the now non-tidal moorings on the Three Mills Wall River, a concrete "layer" was installed because some of the moored boats failed to come up with the tide.

For some reason we are getting serious fluctuations on the Bath-Bradford pound of the K and A at present, and no one seems to know why.

BW tell me that they're replacing or repairing a pipe at Claverton which pumps river water up to the canal to maintain the level, hence the drop. Apparently they expect it to be fixed by the weekend.

I guess this means we could see further drops in level. I'm pretty annoyed at BWs attitude to this - there is no information on the canal as far as I can see, and they're not restricting locking down into Bath, running water down from the pound above or doing anything to maintain what little water there is as far as I know. I've even had BW staff asking me if I know why the water is so low :facepalm:

Hi, I'm moored between the Sydney Gardens tunnels and the winding hole by Bath Narrowboats on the K&A canal. As some of you probably know the water level here has dropped drastically (10-12 inches approx) over the last 2 days. It has left us stuck fast on the ground, we have tried everything I can think of to move the boat out into the deeper channel, putting people on the outside gunwhale while others push from the bank, using the engine (the counter-plate is totally out of the water so the prop seems to be pulling in alot of air), pulling it with another boat, we can't get it to move an inch. We managed to get my friends boat who was moored behind us off the mud, they are currently moored alongside us in the deeper water. We have also spoken to BW who say they are trying to solve the issue, but I'm not sure they know what the cause is yet.

Thanks in advance

Doug

difficult to describe in words but I'll try, I've had a lot of experience of unsticking heavy and deep draughted boats (phew)

Ok.... wriggle. any movement is good movement.

push the bow until it hits the opposite bank. then get everyone off the the stern, stand with one foot on the gunwhale and one on the bank and push the boat sideways so it tips and hopefully slides into deeper water. obviously keep your weight on the gunwhale foot or you'll go in.

if the distance is too great, or it doesn't work then take your longest gangplank or borrow a 12' scaff plank and using it sideways as a lever under the counter push up (ie so the scaff plank is trying to go vertical)

don't use the engine at all and dont have anyone on the stern both of these will be counter productive (if you'll excuse the pun)

If still stuck then push the bow right back in, try the levering techniques again. if still stuck repeat with bow alternatively on the towpath and the offside.

remember....wriggle.

Sounds a bit urban myth to me. There's a lot of buoyancy in a 10 tonne boat.

Sounds a bit urban myth to me. There's a lot of buoyancy in a 10 tonne boat.

My initial reaction, but I have two different sources on this, both I would consider highly reliable.

The boat involved, though, is owned by someone who courts strong opinions, so I suppose sabotage was another possible explanation!

But being serious, I think it was probably a similar issue to the one potentially here.... The boat went over to a good angle, so the water didn't have to rise much before it was entering the boat through deck drains and cabin vents - so, yes, in the case that the boat is seriously tilted, lowering these points to near waterline, I do believe it has happened.

My initial reaction, but I have two different sources on this, both I would consider highly reliable.

The boat involved, though, is owned by someone who courts strong opinions, so I suppose sabotage was another possible explanation!

But being serious, I think it was probably a similar issue to the one potentially here.... The boat went over to a good angle, so the water didn't have to rise much before it was entering the boat through deck drains and cabin vents - so, yes, in the case that the boat is seriously tilted, lowering these points to near waterline, I do believe it has happened.

Alan is right, I have seen it happen on the mudflats in essex.. As the tide went out the barge which hadn't moored correctly in the deep water channel 'stuck' to the bottom at an angle, as the tide came in water came in the through the vents, and heh presto boat did not refloat. We had to pump boat out and next low tide, seal the vents, and for good measure use a couple of inflatable lift bags secured each side of the stern via a chain running under the stern. Worked a treat, but was still a 10k insurance claim... That was going back to late 70's. Those mudflats near tollesunt Darcy are like glue, and stink

If you can't move it all, while dangerous and I would only recomend to do with someone who does a lot of pair boating, but you could snatch it off with a moving boat. Do however have a very thick and strong rope, bollards you know aren't going to break, and stand as clear as possible from likely snap back.

Also, if there is still some water between you and bank put the boat in reverse so there is water moving between boat and bank and try pushing the bow out, and then wiggle back and forth walking the boat down the slope.

Mike

If you can't get it off, obviously the danger occurs when the pound is refilled, if your boat has settled at an angle.

Any chance that your mate who is afloat could be lashed firmly counter to counter with you? Then when the level rises t'other boat should help to give yours some lift, especially if he works his gearbox forward and reverse.

You might be able to get a rope (or even a chain?) from the nearside bollard on your counter, under the counter, but above the rudder, then forward from the stock to a bollard on the floating boat, depending on design.

Good luck.

Tone

Taping up any vunerable vents/inlets/outlets would be my first port of call.

When our boat was left on the bottom due to an EA error with the water levels we were 50 miles away. We have a line of skin fittings very close to the waterline on our Port side. A friend went and taped them up for us. The boat was then fine when the water level was raised again, even though, on closer inspection she did appear to have buried the drive unit into the mud beneath.

Yes, it happened to a relative's boat too, about 15 years ago.

Canal had been drained for work, all boats at the moorings sat on the bed of the canal for about a fortnight. When the stop planks were removed for re-filling, the level came up quickly and the boat in question (36ft steel) was at a slight angle and water flooded in through the air-cooled Lister engine vents in the side of the hull . The boat finished up with about 3ft of water in it. We pumped ALL the water out and she was still firmly held on the bed of the canal, no amount of jumping on the sides would shift her. We brought a dredger alongside and fastened the front T stud to the dredger boom and after about 10 minutes of rattling she came up like a cork. The engine/gearbox oil was drained and renewed, engine started ASAP.

The vents on the side were later welded up and replaced by deck vents, noisier but more safe.

Bill

Years ago on our first broads trip we got to Norwich and moored up in a large shed tieing up tight. Then we left the boat to look round. Coming back we found it nearly clear of the water on the falling tide. Luckily the ropes were strong and the wooden boat light so we sat on the bank and watched as the tide came in and floated it a couple of hours later. The yard staff thought it was all a great joke.

Glad you got away with it too!

Years ago on our first broads trip we got to Norwich and moored up in a large shed tieing up tight. Then we left the boat to look round. Coming back we found it nearly clear of the water on the falling tide. Luckily the ropes were strong and the wooden boat light so we sat on the bank and watched as the tide came in and floated it a couple of hours later. The yard staff thought it was all a great joke.

Glad you got away with it too!

We sat our first hire broads boat in the mud at the Reedham Ferry. The boat was a fake sports cruiser that was and still is very ill thought out. Getting on and off the horrible little thing was a nightmare when moored alongside so to our great relief we found a little cut where we could reverse in and get on and off from the stern. We went into the pub and had a fair few drinks and a nice meal when the landlord came over and asked if we were the guardians of "Breakaway 1" as she was now sat high and dry on the mud bank and was sinking slowly into it. On closer observation she was well and truely grounded.

We had to wait until the tide was rising before a the owner of a large proper sports boat towed us off to safety. It doesnt feel quite so serious when it isnt your own boat :rolleyes:

Hopefully we wont be grounding NC anywhere on the Broads this year :blush:

It happened to us at Beccles when we were kids. We were the last boat moored in a dyke and a hire cruiser having left it too late asked us to move up so they could get in behind us and another boat.

Tide out during the night - next morning - they merrily bogged off for the day leaving us literally high and dry' till the lunchtime when we re-floated.- :rolleyes:

Good outcome here indeed.

For some reason we are getting serious fluctuations on the Bath-Bradford pound of the K and A at present, and no one seems to know why.

It started just after the Bradford-on-Avon lock re-opened. I assumed it was because that lock now leaked less than the Bath top lock did and that the pound was slowly draining out via Bath lock :rolleyes: