Thoroughly negative article in NBW

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

The latest article by NBW, entitled "Boat Hire - Grand Union Canal", has to be about the most negative article I've ever read about any stretch of canal anywhere. It is even (surprisingly for NBW tongue.gif ) totally inaccurate with all its references to hydraulic paddles.

No! you can't tempt me to do a clicky...I'll believe you :lol:

OK I looked.

Uneducated drivel from someone who clearly has no knowledge of the history of the canal's infrastructure.

Looking at the page for our patch, we are apparently pretty brave as a couple of old wrinklies regularly attempting all these very hard work and difficult locks with just the two of us.....

Much better to share with another boat full of fit people, apparently.

Better not tell NBW about the many people who single-hand it then!

Plonkers!

OK I looked.

Uneducated drivel from someone who clearly has no knowledge of the history of the canal's infrastructure.

Looking at the page for our patch, we are apparently pretty brave as a couple of old wrinklies regularly attempting all these very hard work and difficult locks with just the two of us.....

Much better to share with another boat full of fit people, apparently.

Better not tell NBW about the many people who single-hand it then!

Plonkers!

Oh god, you must live miles away from any supermarket, with heavy locks and vandals :o

(as would anyone else on the GU according to the article ;) )

No! you can't tempt me to do a clicky...I'll believe you :lol:

Damn you Neil. Having never looked at NBW before I had to see what the fuss was about. I was intrigued by the following cryptic bit about a section particularly familiar to me:

"AFTER the junction at Bull's Bridge, the waterway heads for the Thames at Brentford, but before this drops down through the difficult Norwood Locks, difficult as it seems they have little use so both paddles and gates are stiff to operate. There is also the problem that it is the residents of a certain creed living above the locks that demand when eating a certain food, its remains must be thrown into water—usually the canal, and complete with wrappings."

I can only assume the writer is a particularly weedy fellow as he seems to find the whole canal hard work. Perhaps he should get his nanny or big brother to accompany him and give him a bit of help. I guess the "certain creed" is a reference to the Asian community, but I don't think it's the shells of coconuts they've eaten that they throw into the canal, which presumably is his convoluted complaint.

Uggggggggh - I really did not need to look at that link. Why didn't you stop me? :D

Edited by Tam & Di

I'd not take it personally about Norwood.....

As much as I could be arsed to read seemed to imply that the entire passage from Brum to the Thames on the GU was a question of struggling with hard work locks and difficult paddle gear, and maybe drained pounds, whilst passing people and towns of poor repute.

I suspect the author is probably normally based on the Ashby ?

Still if enough people read this drivel, maybe it will keep some of the more timid away from the GU, and make it all the more pleasant for those of us who know what it's really like.

Someone should suggest to them that they take the weekend off. That way would could be secure in the knowledge that we have a good chance of having a happy time between Friday and Monday! Everytime I see NBW in the title of a thread, I can feel the energy being sucked out of me!

For a couple of first timers choosing a holiday boat and route the description might be useful as a hint to try an easier canal. It's amazing how many have complained to us that 'no-one told us it was difficult doing this ring in a week - we won't be doing this sort of thing again'.

"Another unusual feature is that the Aylesbury Arm is very straight, but a problem is that rushes encroach from both sides of the waterway for a long length, so it is very advisable not to meet another boat coming in the opposite direction."

The writer does not advise how to avoid meeting a boat coming the other way. Should holidaymakers hone their psychic skills before entering the Aylesbury Arm? :rolleyes:

"Another unusual feature is that the Aylesbury Arm is very straight, but a problem is that rushes encroach from both sides of the waterway for a long length, so it is very advisable not to meet another boat coming in the opposite direction."

The writer does not advise how to avoid meeting a boat coming the other way. Should holidaymakers hone their psychic skills before entering the Aylesbury Arm? :rolleyes:

In some places like the tunnel at Armitage BW now expect you to send a crew memeber through to check nothing is coming and pass the information back somehow. Of course BW prefer you have enough crew to do a lot of stuff that they feel is necessary. Incidentally there is often a BW man near the tunnel - picking up rubbish and ignoring anyone who dares to suggest that cutting back the tunnel foliage might help boaters not scratch themselves.

I often wonder what people expect from a canal holiday. If they want to lay around and do nothing then go on a beach and sunshine holiday. Part of the 'fun'. IMO, is the adventure and activity and tackling something new. Not the worst thing in the world if there is not a Tesco in walking distance every day. BTW those two women should be told to push and not pull on that lock beam - that is a back injury waiting to happen.

I'm still resisting! :help:

I was happy cruising and mooring in Birmingham until I read the article. I didn't realise what a bad place it is, so I have sold my boat and am now boating in Egypt.

:)

We thought this looked fun!

Pict8628.jpg

(if you don't mind being shot at)

The section from Norton Junction to Bulls Bridge is 95 miles with 84 broads locks. One tunnel and two swing bridges.

Ease of operation ✪

Ease of passage ✪✪✪

Features ✪

Boat facilities ✪✪✪✪

Shopping ✪✪✪✪✪

Moorings ✪✪✪

So "features" scores a measly one star, for a section that has...

2 Major tunnels, (EDITED: to acknowledge it says from Norton, so only one major tunnel...)

At least 4 major lock flights (EDITED: OK, and they are only going to Bulls Bridge too, so less locks...)

Several aqueducts, including the historic trunk aqueduct at Wolverton

Both broad and narrow canal arms

Major reservoirs and nature reserve at Marsworth

Tring cutting.

Feature buildings like Bulbourne works and many former pumping stations.

One of the country's canal museums.

And much much more - even before you step from the canal towpath to anything near the canal.

I wonder what NBW requires to get two stars, then ? :wacko:

Edited by alan_fincher

So "features" scores a measly one star, for a section that has...

2 Major tunnels

At least 4 major lock flights

Several aqueducts, including the historic trunk aqueduct at Wolverton

Both broad and narrow canal arms

Major reservoirs and nature reserve at Marsworth

Tring cutting.

Feature buildings like Bulbourne works and many former pumping stations.

One of the country's canal museums.

And much much more - even before you step from the canal towpath to anything near the canal.

I wonder what NBW requires to get two stars, then ? :wacko:

Tesco supermarket every 200 yards

Stoke Bruerne, one of my favourite places

Nah,

You must be wrong.....

You can only get to it by either going through a nasty tunnel, or seven nasty locks with the occasional empty pound. :lol:

Not a nice place at all, it seems!