need info from you all,

pollyjim

Featured Posts

hi everyone, my name is jim and my other half is pauline,iv just retired and my wife is now 60yrs old but we are very able and we dont even look that old, lol, we are thinking of selling our house and buying a narrow boat this year but we need to know what its like to live on one and the ups and downs of living on a narrow boat. as yet we must look inside one although we do have a idea, is it worth taking the plunge on a ltd income. if any one can help us in the above stated item then we would be most gratefull.things like mooring or no mooring ect, thank you all jim and paulie.wilkes.

hi everyone, my name is jim and my other half is pauline,iv just retired and my wife is now 60yrs old but we are very able and we dont even look that old, lol, we are thinking of selling our house and buying a narrow boat this year but we need to know what its like to live on one and the ups and downs of living on a narrow boat. as yet we must look inside one although we do have a idea, is it worth taking the plunge on a ltd income. if any one can help us in the above stated item then we would be most gratefull.things like mooring or no mooring ect, thank you all jim and paulie.wilkes.

Hello Jim

If you've never even been inside one you have a lot to learn before making any decisions.

Do what a lot of us have done first, hire one for a few days. That will introduce you to it. Then you can start going deeper into ownership. I can't stress this too much. Read as much about it as you can, walk along the towpath and talk to boaters, this all is very helpful, but there's no substitute for hiring as a trial in my view.

By the way if you don't look that old right now, you soon will if you do take the plunge and all the hassles hit you. When you look around at canallers, the average age appears to be about 95. In fact most are more like 30 but all the worries with boat owning age you quickly.

regards

Steve

By the way if you don't look that old right now, you soon will if you do take the plunge and all the hassles hit you. When you look around at canallers, the average age appears to be about 95. In fact most are more like 30 but all the worries with boat owning age you quickly.

Well thats them put off for life :rolleyes:

thanks for that mafidont worry it dont put us off it wont be the first time we have made mistakes

thanks for that mafidont worry it dont put us off it wont be the first time we have made mistakes

we still need any info please on cost , mooring to get moorings or not any thing that might help us what to look for when buying what size etc thanks jim and pauline

Hello Jim

If you've never even been inside one you have a lot to learn before making any decisions.

Do what a lot of us have done first, hire one for a few days. That will introduce you to it. Then you can start going deeper into ownership. I can't stress this too much. Read as much about it as you can, walk along the towpath and talk to boaters, this all is very helpful, but there's no substitute for hiring as a trial in my view.

regards

Steve

yes we have had a boat out a few years back for a week so we have a little idea about it

Do what we did jim go to boatyards and see what you can get for your money. Walk the towpath speak to boaters they will chat no problem, read the boat mags. Also plenty of websites of liveaboard boaters that give details of costs etc. We are just about to move aboard are of same age and have sold up. We are going to keep a log of expences as we read so many different opinions and will be able to produce in time accurate costings. Where are you located?

Have a good rummage though some old thread, and feel free to "digg them out" if you have any further questions regarding them. (see the search tool, at the top right of every page)

mooring cost vary a lot, lenght of boat, location, provided faciliteys, residental or not.

- All of these affect the price a lot.

Daniel

Hello Jim

regards

Steve

hi steve, cant be anymore trouble then living in a house, four walls bills, ect. just need to make a change to our lives, been on holiday in narrow boat last year very nice holiday it was. so fare we have found out a few things but its a big jump so trying to make sure we land ok. jim.

I think the real problem with it is when you get the bug.

Once you get the liveaboard boating bug it doesn't matter what happens you MUST have it, the freedom and lifestyle a boat affords. One of the loves I have is the tradition behind narrowboats the Roses and Castles painting.

God has given us so much with this boat. My kids love it, and we love it. Even the cat loves it.

hi steve, cant be anymore trouble then living in a house, four walls bills, ect. just need to make a change to our lives, been on holiday in narrow boat last year very nice holiday it was. so fare we have found out a few things but its a big jump so trying to make sure we land ok. jim.

I assure you that generally a boat is at least as much trouble as a house, many would say much more. Of course it depends on the condition of the house and the boat. A fine new boat is probably less hassle than a house in a poor state.

As you say Jim, it's a big jump and one thing that would bother me about selling up completely and living on a boat is what happens if you want to return to land in a few years? Unless you have a lot of money, if property prices rise dramatically you could be unable to afford it, leaving you stuck on a boat that for whatever reason no longer appeals. The boat's value won't increase at anything like the same rate and if you are elderly with little income, you won't be able to get a mortgage.

Consequently if at all possible, it is probably advisable to retain some property so as to remain in the market. Then if your boating dreams go awry, you should be able to move back with the minimum of financial problems.

On costs, you'll find that a boat actually is more expensive to maintain than a house, particularly if you are in a marina. This surprises many people who think that boats are cheap to run. They're not.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Consequently if at all possible, it is probably advisable to retain some property so as to remain in the market. Then if your boating dreams go awry, you should be able to move back with the minimum of financial problems.

Absolutely vital.

You would be suprised how many people decide on moving to the "idyllic lifestyle" that they imagine living on a boat to be, and abandon the boat in less than a year.

Even people who have been cruising for years find that actually living full-time on a boat is not what they thought it would be.

Hi

Anhar and dor are right in all they say and I have thought and thought and worried about whether we are doing the 'right thing' in cutting all ties with the land (selling everthing)

We are still doing it, probably need my head examined (again).

Owing to early (health) retirement our plans have been brought forward by about five years. Hooray!!!!!!

Jim

After hiring for a few days or weeks trial, why not become a boat owner whilst retaining the house. That's what we have done for the past two years, during which time we've become totally hooked and plan to live aboard as soon as work commitments allow (retirement in twenty years!). We've also learned loads and discovered just how expensive and time-consuming boating is. It's the only interest/hobby that I've ever had that makes me want to get older quicker! Can't wait 'till I can continuously cruise off into the sunset.

Noah

• 2 months later...

Just do ensure that your love and commitment are mutual! I recently just did one without checking on the other and have found myself in a total pile of unspeakables!! Wan't to be on water MORE than anything I am able to describe BUT it really does seem to be only poss between 2 mutual and caring loving folk. Keep asking those Q's, Sue

Hello Jim and Paulie

I well understand the urge! I'm finally buying a boat, after years of planning my 'escape'.

However, I have been to see a few boats for sale now and just talking to the sellers is sobering. How can they want to abandon the very dream we are pursuing?!? :blush:

Well it hasn't put me off, but reasons seem to range from difficulties managing locks, carrying cassette loos and shopping, a need for money later in life (those that have a home as well as a boat want to free up the cash), the insecurity and break-ins that sometimes occur. The fact that there are so many boats on the market may be an indication that more folk are having new ones built, or that many are becoming disillusioned - probably equal numbers! Talking to ex-boaters can be as useful as talking to current ones.

Anyway, I would also agree with others here by suggesting you have a go first! I was smitten as I'm sure you will be too, but it's as well to know the score before you take the plunge. (not literally, of course).

Best wishes,

Carrie

to be, and abandon the boat in less than a year.

Even people who have been cruising for years find that actually living full-time on a boat is not what they thought it would be.

it is tough.

I love it, but it is tough

Hi Jim & Polly

We're 66 & a very unfit 55, we dont live aboard, just recreational cruisers, but you must bear in mind that with encroaching years, if either one of you developes a problem that prevents you from doing the physical side of boat life, the remaing partner has to be able to do it all, possibly alone.

On a plus note - if you decide to make maximum capital available, and if the capital can stretch to it, give some thought to a mainteinance free boat; alluminium alloy. The material makes them very expensive, but if maintenace is a concern, it's worth a thought. (Incidentally, they are Marine Grade Alluminium Alloy which is a very different thing to what your saucepan is made of)

Manufacturer

Peter

Two thoughts to ponder:

1. cruising, going through locks. Need a bit of strength even the easiest of them.

2. Maintenance and handywork. In a house, if you can't face doing it yourself, you can always get a handyman/person/woman in (at a price, of course.) On a boat, you normally HAVE to do it yourself as there aren't many handy-m/p/w's around who will work on boats. Unless you're near a boatyard which has got people who will do it.

Hi jim and Pauline,

I had a very interesting converstion with a couple recently, who retired, sold their house, bought a widebeam and have been continually cruising for the past 2 years. This was their dream and they went for it. But after 2 years they had realized that they were starting to get a bit lonely cruising around the country, but could not afford a residential mooring. They missed the busy social lives they had left behind and told me they were worried about growing old on a boat with no significant savings to use in a medical emergency. I don't want to put you off, go for it, but maybe think about finding a nice residential mooring with a friendly community you can go back to when you start getting tired of travelling and bored of each others company!