diesel stoves

gemmamairiann

Featured Posts

Any thoughts on diesel v solid fuel stoves??

We went for a diesel "Lockgate 2000" model as we were having a Webasto for the main central heating and a front fuel tank installed for heating - there is a link pipe joining the front tank to the Webasto in the stern engine bay, which can run off either type of fuel, although the home heating oil has so far been around 45p/litre, so cheaper than red, and it burns MUCH cleaner than red, thereby saving maintenance costs / hassles.

Upsides : Fuel is easier to store

The stove is cleaner / no dust..

You can run it on home heating oil ( Kerosene)

It is up to temp in about 10 mins

You can switch it on and leave it without stoking periodically

It is quickly and easily controllable for heat output ( low thermal mass )

You can also get models that heats water as well, either for a heating back up / supplement in very cold weather or to run instead of the other heating method

Downsides:

It isn't as "nice" to sit next to, in some peoples opinions

It's possibly more costly to run, especially if you have free access to wood and don't mind processing / storing

Its something else to polish (if you do such things ! - we haven't yet in two years + )

So, personal preferences really....

Nick

Really hel[ful, Nick - thanks!

We went for a diesel "Lockgate 2000" model as we were having a Webasto for the main central heating and a front fuel tank installed for heating - there is a link pipe joining the front tank to the Webasto in the stern engine bay, which can run off either type of fuel, although the home heating oil has so far been around 45p/litre, so cheaper than red, and it burns MUCH cleaner than red, thereby saving maintenance costs / hassles.

Upsides : Fuel is easier to store

The stove is cleaner / no dust..

You can run it on home heating oil ( Kerosene)

It is up to temp in about 10 mins

You can switch it on and leave it without stoking periodically

It is quickly and easily controllable for heat output ( low thermal mass )

You can also get models that heats water as well, either for a heating back up / supplement in very cold weather or to run instead of the other heating method

Downsides:

It isn't as "nice" to sit next to, in some peoples opinions

It's possibly more costly to run, especially if you have free access to wood and don't mind processing / storing

Its something else to polish (if you do such things ! - we haven't yet in two years + )

So, personal preferences really....

Nick

We opted for an all diesel boat and also have a Lockgate, Morso squirrel that runs on diesel with all the upsides already mentioned. It also runs 2 rads. In the kitchen we have a diesel Sigmar cooker that gives background heating throughout the boat ( a bit like an Aga in a house)and also provides hot water.Cooks beautifully too.

Any thoughts on diesel v solid fuel stoves??

Diesel wins hands down. I ran a Kabola for 45 days continuously during the frosty weather with minimal supervision. No dust, no lugging coal sacks about.

No need to train as a stoker for GWRs, no layer of dust everywhere, just leave a cheque out for the coal/oil boat to cover the fill up the tank as they pass.

Brill.

Leo.

Hi

we have had a Kabola Old Dutch OD4 for 11 years now, I fully endorse the previous comments re diesel v solid fuel. I think its v important not to install a stove that is to large, in terms of output, as these drip feed type stoves can easily carbon up if run at to low a setting, ours is rated at 4kw and is probably a tad large for us, I believe they now do a 3kw version which would be just right. ( the boat is a 62ft trad with engine rm and back cabin) so we are mainly using the stove in the front section of the boat. Flue height is important, as is the need to avoid a cold spot where the flu passes thru the deckhead. we have a 12" double skinned chimney for cruising (with the void between the skins stuffed with insulation) and a 28"double skinned, again with the void insulated, when static.

Hope this helps

Paul M

NB Enchantress

PS I believe that the type of valve fitted to some stoves being sold to the inland market are designed for domestic use, everyone I know who has one of this type hates them and always seems to be stripping them down. In 11 yrs our valve has never been taken apart, nor does it need "setting up" on installation, ask your supplier if setting up of the valve is required, if so tread carefully, and if not designed for use in a boat, avoid. IMHO

• 2 months later...

PMMS.

the installation engineer inisted I fit a kenilwoth cut off valve - ala house into the fuel system.

I agree its probably over the top, but conversely should stop 100 gallons of diesel burning brightly in a worst case scenario...

I prefer the best case scenario that it wont happen to me

no issues with it in 2 and a bit years..

We have a Kabola Old English. When we bought the boat, it was my intention to take it out and replace it with a solid fuel stove. The chap that sold us the boat had done the reverse, and he advised us to leave it in for at least one winter and see how we got on. We took his advice and now we would not change it.

It's safe, clean, makes no mess, and can be left on for days at a time. The downside is no free fuel and the smell from the chimney is considerably less plesent than woodsmoke!

It is important to keep it properly adjusted to show a blue flame above the catalyst - if you turn it down too far, then it cokes up pretty rapidly and requires far more cleaning. If you keep it adjusted right, then it only needs cleaned a couple of times per year

Edited by billS