Its Frothy Man

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Must be a franchise of the boat wash that was in an April edition of Waterways World a few years ago!

Dan

I remember that! I believe they reported that the special detergent used was called "Larpofoil".

Richard

Is the child saying"YES MUM ITS GOOD BUT MY FINGERS".

That's me in the doors. I was told that as we were on the river if I wanted to come out I had to wear a life jacket. I refused to wear a life jacket so remained inside - trying to sneek further and further out.

This effect used to be commonplace in the Upper Winkwell lock near Bourne End in Herts. (Until I looked at Speedwheel's pictures, I kind of assumed that might be the lock where Derek had has his frothy experience, but the cables in the lock wall say otherwise....)

It's the next lock down from Berkhamsted sewage works, and certainly related to chemicals in the outfall water entering the canal in the pound above.

That was in the 1970s and 1980s, but I have not seen it in recent years, so I assume treatment methods have improved considerably since then.

Is there a sewage works discharging into the cut upstream of the lock in the original post ?

Further down, one used to get brightly coloured waters when Dickinson's cocked up their various paper and board making processes - another bit of pollution thankfully long since gone.

Mind you, hire boats had sea toilets back then too! :o

That's me in the doors. I was told that as we were on the river if I wanted to come out I had to wear a life jacket. I refused to wear a life jacket so remained inside - trying to sneek further and further out.

Kids :cheers: