winter holiday - tips please

grannykins

Featured Posts

Hi, I've just registered on the forum and would like a little advice please. We are planning to sell up and retire on to a narrowboat in about 5-6 years time, so this year we have booked on to a boat for a few days the second week in February. This is so we can make sure we are up for being on the canal in winter. We have got good gloves, warm socks and coats. Any tips from experienced winter boaters would be appreciated.

:) Thanks. Head torches? In case we need to clamber around in the dark I presume? The books I have sorted - I got a Kindle (one of these e book things) for Christmas. It holds up to 3500 books, so I should be ok there :)

Never thought about stoppages - where would we find that info?

:) Thanks. Head torches? In case we need to clamber around in the dark I presume? The books I have sorted - I got a Kindle (one of these e book things) for Christmas. It holds up to 3500 books, so I should be ok there :)

Never thought about stoppages - where would we find that info?

In the Boating section of the Waterscape web site, here: Clicky Link

And if you are hiring, I would have thought that the hire company would be able to give you advice as well. Whereabouts are you going to be cruising? Boating in the winter is fantastic, even more so when there's no ice :) But all the usual stuff about making sure you leave the hire base with a full water tank, empty loo etc should be checked by the hire company.

Gloves, definitely gloves. And a very good hat. It's not that different to any other outdoor pursuit in Britain in February!

And if you are hiring, I would have thought that the hire company would be able to give you advice as well. Whereabouts are you going to be cruising? Boating in the winter is fantastic, even more so when there's no ice :) But all the usual stuff about making sure you leave the hire base with a full water tank, empty loo etc should be checked by the hire company.

Gloves, definitely gloves. And a very good hat. It's not that different to any other outdoor pursuit in Britain in February!

We're hiring from Middlewich boats, going up the Trent and Mersy and along the Bridgewater towards Lymm. Only going from Tuesday to Saturday. Never thought about a hat - thanks for that.

Thanks

Thermal mugs, so you still get a hot drink. Rubber washing up gloves, they don't keep your hands warm but if it tips down with rain they keep your hands dry when working with ropes, and if its sunny have your sun glasses handy. Ankle wamers, and a hot water bottle for your feet, if its really cold long johns and themals. Most important enjoy it. Bunny

Hi, I've just registered on the forum and would like a little advice please. We are planning to sell up and retire on to a narrowboat in about 5-6 years time, so this year we have booked on to a boat for a few days the second week in February. This is so we can make sure we are up for being on the canal in winter. We have got good gloves, warm socks and coats. Any tips from experienced winter boaters would be appreciated.

It may be too late now if you have booked but an absolute MUST is a solid fuel stove on the boat. Some hire companie do but many do not and they usualy supply a diesel heating system :blink: and they are ............--ap

Thermal mugs, so you still get a hot drink. Rubber washing up gloves, they don't keep your hands warm but if it tips down with rain they keep your hands dry when working with ropes, and if its sunny have your sun glasses handy. Ankle wamers, and a hot water bottle for your feet, if its really cold long johns and themals. Most important enjoy it. Bunny

The rubber gloves are a good tip, thanks. We're taking wheat bags rather than hot water bottles, as there is a microwave on board.

It may be too late now if you have booked but an absolute MUST is a solid fuel stove on the boat. Some hire companie do but many do not and they usualy supply a diesel heating system :blink: and they are ............--ap

Oh dear, dont think we have a stove.

A couple of soft cosy rugs .... nice to wrap around yourself in the evenings when it's chilly or in the early mornings with your first brew or two if you're an early riser!

Hmmm, note to self, ensure hubby is the first one out of bed!

Perhaps a spare duvet for the night if the boat only has diesel heating. Boats can and do get very cold at night.

Definitely pack one of these - and my pyjamas and wooly dressing gown I think too. Thanks.

Nor does our boat, many hire boats don't. Please don't worry, the boat will have central heating and you will be fine

Richard

Just to confirm what Richard has said here.

We hired in Feb last year during a very cold spell. The boat only had gas powered central heating. and we were warm enough - the floors were wood, so these were a tad cold on the old feet but we just wore appropriate foot wear.

We ran out of gas in one of the cylinders during one night and the heating went off - it was obvious after an hour or so just how well the heating was doing it was freezing very quickly.

I can't see it mentioned but I would recommend a good set of thermals. It gets very cold on the back of a narrow-boat in winter - your boat will likely be a cruiser stern which will offer very little protection (ie none!) from the wind and rain and if you are not 'hardy' it could be a miserable experience out there.

I second the the hat suggestions too - I have a beany hat that covers the ears, essential in the cold and for the rain a wide brimmed leather hat to keep the rain of the face.

We have often enjoyed cruising in the Winter and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. The advantages of solitude and scenery outweigh most of the disadvantages - the only real hindrance being the shorter periods of daylight and correspondingly longer periods of darkness. We compensated for this by managing with a very brief lunch stop (usually hot soup and a large glass of rich cream sherry) and then cooking a decent big meal (and pudding) when we stop at night - the cooking helps to warm up the boat too - and by the time its all cleared away and washed up it is almost time for bed!

Nor does our boat, many hire boats don't. Please don't worry, the boat will have central heating and you will be fine

Richard

Thnak you for the reasurrance!

Just to confirm what Richard has said here.

We hired in Feb last year during a very cold spell. The boat only had gas powered central heating. and we were warm enough - the floors were wood, so these were a tad cold on the old feet but we just wore appropriate foot wear.

We ran out of gas in one of the cylinders during one night and the heating went off - it was obvious after an hour or so just how well the heating was doing it was freezing very quickly.

I can't see it mentioned but I would recommend a good set of thermals. It gets very cold on the back of a narrow-boat in winter - your boat will likely be a cruiser stern which will offer very little protection (ie none!) from the wind and rain and if you are not 'hardy' it could be a miserable experience out there.

I second the the hat suggestions too - I have a beany hat that covers the ears, essential in the cold and for the rain a wide brimmed leather hat to keep the rain of the face.

Thermals have already been bought. And we deliberatly looked for a semi trad stern to get a liitle bit of protection from the weather. Will go out and look for a hat - hubby has hats, but I'm not normally a hat person. A woolly one for under my coat hood methinks - or perhaps one of those you see with fur ear flaps :D

We have often enjoyed cruising in the Winter and it has been thoroughly enjoyable. The advantages of solitude and scenery outweigh most of the disadvantages - the only real hindrance being the shorter periods of daylight and correspondingly longer periods of darkness. We compensated for this by managing with a very brief lunch stop (usually hot soup and a large glass of rich cream sherry) and then cooking a decent big meal (and pudding) when we stop at night - the cooking helps to warm up the boat too - and by the time its all cleared away and washed up it is almost time for bed!

Thats a good idea - especially the pudding!

Edited by grannykins

Thnak you for the reasurrance!

Thermals have already been bought. Will go out and look for a hat - hubby has hats, but I'm not normally a hat person. A woolly one for under my coat hood methinks - or perhaps one of those you see with fur ear flaps :D

Thats a good idea - especially the pudding!

:D

Hi grannykins, start another question and ask how many FULL time LIVEABOARDS dont have a stove onboard and you will find the truth of how to realy keep warm and dry and without floods of condensation and flat batteries... ;)

:D

Hi grannykins, start another question and ask how many FULL time LIVEABOARDS dont have a stove onboard and you will find the truth of how to realy keep warm and dry and without floods of condensation and flat batteries... ;)

Lol, will definitely look into that one!

My advice for anyone planning to live on a narrowboat is to get a motorhome as well and go to Spain and Portugal for the winter. That worked well for us for many years.

Thats cheating lol! Much warmer though I expect.

Traditional, old-fashioned porridge for breakfast! :P

Thick socks. If it's really cold at night you can wear them in bed, too.

Have a great time

Cheers

Cath

Will bring the porridge - already have the socks!

Thanks to everyone for some useful tips, and for being so friendly to a newbie :cheers:

A set of 'breathable' waterproof trousers would be very useful - don't buy cheap non-breathable ones as they make you sweat.

Walking jackets (Berghaus etc.) are ace but very often the hood will hang awkwardly and get in the way. I find it's useful to wear a baseball cap and then put the hood up over that. The peak of the cap also keeps my glasses dry.

One very handy thing to have is a waterproof box with a clear lid that you can keep your map book inside, so you can still use the map when it's raining.

Try to avoid clothing with too many zips and toggles and pockets, for example those handyman-style trousers with the pockets everywhere. They tend to get tangled up with bits of boat and on a slippery day that could have you in the water.

M&S Chicken Miso Ramen Noodle Soup is my favourite when it comes to warming, nutritious snacks. A complete meal in a pot (as opposed to the minimal benefits of a Pot Noodle), and really tasty. Not cheap but well worth the money :)

Edited by sociable_hermit

A set of 'breathable' waterproof trousers would be very useful - don't buy cheap non-breathable ones as they make you sweat.

Walking jackets (Berghaus etc.) are ace but very often the hood will hang awkwardly and get in the way. I find it's useful to wear a baseball cap and then put the hood up over that. The peak of the cap also keeps my glasses dry.

One very handy thing to have is a waterproof box with a clear lid that you can keep your map book inside, so you can still use the map when it's raining.

Try to avoid clothing with too many zips and toggles and pockets, for example those handyman-style trousers with the pockets everywhere. They tend to get tangled up with bits of boat and on a slippery day that could have you in the water.

M&S Chicken Miso Ramen Noodle Soup is my favourite when it comes to warming, nutritious snacks. A complete meal in a pot (as opposed to the minimal benefits of a Pot Noodle), and really tasty. Not cheap but well worth the money :)

More great tips. The cap one is a good one for Ray, I think. And will definitely look for a box, and probably try the soup too!