Broad Beam v Narrow Beam

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Assumuptions :-

currently in use.

if split narrow and broad you count the whole canal as narrow.

Broad is greater than 12 feet.

I get Broad 1083 miles and narrow 1049 - so near as makes no difference 50/50.

Edited by JonL

Noting the narrowboat can do both whereas the broad cannot

Noting the narrowboat must be shorter than the standard that narrow canals were built for, to do all the broad waterways and that many of the broad waterways are inaccessible to the vast majority of narrowboats, without extensive modification.

Ummh "Assumuptions :-

currently in use.

Broad is greater than 12 feet"

I think you will struggle with a 12ft boat through much of the system... well the single 7ft locks at least

i cant be bothered to re-check whats what...

Assumuptions :-

currently in use.

Broad is greater than 12 feet.

I get Broad 1083 miles and narrow 1049 - so near as makes no difference 50/50.

That doesn't sound right, for one thing the overall total is too low, there are around 2500 miles of canal and navigable inland river

I don't think it makes much difference where you draw the line between broad and narrow so long as it's more than about 7 foot six, however at 12 feet you've just classified the river great Ouse as narrow

One thing that's often missed is that the narrow waterways exert a stranglehold because they prevent passage between broad systems. This is why a single national conservancy is supported by many narrow boaters but opposed by many boaters on EA waters, those with sewer tubes on narrow canals can cruise the Agency rivers, but anyone with a 27 foot Elysian on agency waters has very limited access to canals

Connected and restored i should think.

:D

Methinks many have missed the point. The percentage of wide or narrow is not the point at all. The facts are that if there is only 1 foot in the whole country it still means only narrowbeam can traverse it. For example at my present mooring without being craned in no craft over about 7 feet wide can get to my location whereas I can set off from here today and pootle up and moor at say Philyss mooring ( which I intend to do this summer ) to buy her a pint.

Thats why narrow beam is needed inland. Of course its the last type of boat I would take to sea............ :)

:D

Methinks many have missed the point. The percentage of wide or narrow is not the point at all. The facts are that if there is only 1 foot in the whole country it still means only narrowbeam can traverse it. For example at my present mooring without being craned in no craft over about 7 feet wide can get to my location whereas I can set off from here today and pootle up and moor at say Philyss mooring ( which I intend to do this summer ) to buy her a pint.

Thats why narrow beam is needed inland. Of course its the last type of boat I would take to sea............ :)

There is another point though. That only a very small percentage of boats ever see the whole of the connected waterways. So if you never plan to visit the areas only connected by narrowbeam canals then there is really no point in buying a narrowboat.

Give us a shout when you are in the area and im sure a pint or two, or three can be arranged :cheers:

There is another point though. That only a very small percentage of boats ever see the whole of the connected waterways. So if you never plan to visit the areas only connected by narrowbeam canals then there is really no point in buying a narrowboat.

Give us a shout when you are in the area and im sure a pint or two, or three can be arranged :cheers:

Will do, will prob be coming up from cromwell and come down to see you before we do Trent falls for a few bevvies and a barby :cheers:

Ummh for me to get a beer from Phyllis..

Total distance is 266 miles, 0 flg and 180 locks (not counting Black Jack's Lock No 85). There are at least 16 moveable bridges; 14 small aqueducts or underbridges and 4 tunnels.

This is made up of 23 miles, 1 furlong of narrow canals; 116 miles, 7¼ furlongs of broad canals; 21 miles, 0 furlongs of commercial waterways; 32 miles, 5 furlongs of small rivers; 28 miles, 5¾ furlongs of large rivers; 43 miles, 5 furlongs of lakes; 17 narrow locks; 147 broad locks; 16 large locks.

This will take 125 hours, 33 minutes which is 17 days, 6 hours and 33 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 18 days.

Figure I might be very thirsty by then (assuming i didnt imbibe en-route).. but deserve a pint..

On the other hand Phyllis can visit me and I'll buy her a beer or indeed two.. and suggest a coastal traverse and up the thames.

Will do, will prob be coming up from cromwell and come down to see you before we do Trent falls for a few bevvies and a barby :cheers:

Make sure its a weekend :cheers:

Phylis could, of course, moor up about 6 miles from you and you can get a bus and have a night out, together, in Oxford.

What if i dont want to go to Oxford?

Ten years ago I had to write a report on the length of inland waterways in Britain at ten year intervals from 1700. From this, I was able to compile figures for broad and narrow canals. The total figures were 1952 miles of broad canal, 1539 miles of river navigation (broad), and just 1257 miles of narrow canal.