recommend someone to service my engine

Featured Posts

I need the full works.

Oil, Oil filter, 2x fuel filter, gearbox oil, new belts on alternators, other stuff (?)

Barrus shire 45, 900 hours on the engine.

Any recommendations?

Spencer Collins, The Boatyard, Hilperton (next door to Alvechurch) 01225 710017 or 07790 017418. He is also a Gas Safe registered engineer. Or Bath Narrowboats 01225 447276 who also offer engineering services. Or learn to do it yourself :rolleyes:

Spencer Collins, The Boatyard, Hilperton (next door to Alvechurch) 01225 710017 or 07790 017418. He is also a Gas Safe registered engineer. Or Bath Narrowboats 01225 447276 who also offer engineering services. Or learn to do it yourself :rolleyes:

I believe CW rules prevent me from commenting on that post.

I will say I was supposed to have an all day lesson on sorting my engine out last year from RCR but because it was pissing it down with rain and they didn't have the right parts all I got was an oil and filter change. The bloke was decent though.

learn to do it yourself :rolleyes:

Gets my vote. Servicing Diesel engines is quite straightforward. There are usually manuals available online if you don't have one. The good old Haynes manual is quite useful if you've got a marinised version of an automotive engine - the pictures show what is what/where.

Gets my vote. Servicing Diesel engines is quite straightforward. There are usually manuals available online if you don't have one. The good old Haynes manual is quite useful if you've got a marinised version of an automotive engine - the pictures show what is what/where.

And don't forget to change the oil in the gearbox.

I need the full works.

Oil, Oil filter, 2x fuel filter, gearbox oil, new belts on alternators, other stuff (?)

Any recommendations?

I know its of no practical help to you, but if you had been closer to Derbyshire, I would have done it for you, in exchange for you spending an hour helping paint my boat.

Engines I do, Painting I hate.

OK, I'm going to do the oil and fuel filters myself. Cant do the oil fiter cos you need that funny tool thing which I don't have.

Worked out from http://www.barrus.co.uk/pdfs/RDG6510_Issue7_Shire06_Complete_Manual.pdf that I need:

primary fuel filter: RDG9188346

Secondary ff: 119802-55800

50A Alt Belt: RDG6079

110A Alt Belt: RDG0048974

air filter: RDG5795

Oil Filter: 129150-35152

3.5kw VDO Electrolux Travel power alternator belt: RDG6076

Engine and Gearbox Oil: SAE 15W 40 API Class CD.

Now where do I get them and does than mean I have to pay stupid barrus prices?

Edited by deletedaccount

That's a lovely offer baldock but I fear I'd fail to post it back in a timely manner as I'm useless at those kinds of things. I suppose I should buy one anyway if I plan on doing this myself.

Where can I buy one?

(and which one do I need?)

If you have good access to the filter base then the Three clawed ones that go on the end of a 3/8th wrench are the best

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jpg

other wise a set of filter pliers from Halfrauds are as good as anything

plier-filter-wrench.jpg

Edited by Baldock

Learning to do it yourself will be the best and most economical option in the long run. Plus if you get to know your engine better you can then learn to spot the signs that something is amiss or not quite right before it turns into a major problem.

I need the full works.

Any recommendations?

Is there any need to chnage Alternator Belts at only 900 hours ??

Edited by Billypownall

Depends on the condition of the belt !

If its one of the older Barrus engines (our engine is a 2002 Barrus and was the first of its type), it has a weird arrangement of pulleys that puts more strain on the belt - we get through 2 or 3 belts a year. They've changed the design, now.

The only place I've found that does the belts is French Marine, I've never found a generic version, (despite trying!)fuel and oil filters are easier to get generic versions of.

Edited by Lady Muck

Here's a tip for the fuel filter. If you have a fuel lift pump then basically for priming they suck, so to speak. I was pumping the primer lever for ages getting nowhere. Far easier to get a bike pump, push the nozzle onto the filter inlet vent and suck fuel into the system via the pump till it overflows the vent. Gets most of the air out too.

For oil it's best to drain the sump at the below but some engines can be drained via a brass oil pump.

Alternator belts can be a step up in DIY but doable. Mine has a swivel bracket so you twist the alternator till the belt is loose enough to pull off. Twist it beforehand to guage the tightness of the belt. Too tight and it can bugger up the bearings.

I need the full works.

Any recommendations?

• 1 year later...

Bit of a bump but the lack of lift pump has bit me on the arose. I let the fuel get low and now the engine won't run for more than a second or two.

I've since put in 100 litres but can't get it to bleed from the injectors. I can get it to bleed from what I think is the injector pump entry, but not the 17mm nuts at either end of the metal pipes. Any suggestions?