Wrong kind of ice?

Josher

Featured Posts

It's from the BBC (so it must be true) ...

23 December 2010 Last updated at 11:42 BBC

Ice on River Tow nearly sinks narrowboat

A narrowboat on a Northamptonshire river almost sank when its hull was pierced with ice.

Firefighters were called to the River Tow, Cosgrove, near Stony Stratford, shortly before 1830 GMT on Wednesday.

Ice had ripped a hole into the narrowboat, which was taking on a lot of water and had started sinking.

The owner's pump had stopped working so three fire crews pumped out water from the boat until the pump started working again.

Funny you say that because i was just thinking it must have been one hell of a lump/sheet/berg of ice to slash the hull of a steel boat.

Is this story accurate or just more journalistic crap?

Perhaps something like a below-water skin fitting being broken by ice, e.g. a raw water cooling intake? If the water in a pipe froze, it could let a fair bit of water in.

there's no finer pump than a despirate man with a bucket.......advise given to me as my boat was taking on and i was running round like a headless chicken..

What type of boat did you have, and why was it leaking?

Asking so I can avoid the same:)

What type of boat did you have, and why was it leaking?

Asking so I can avoid the same:)

the boat at the time was an old brum tug, we were travelling through the black country and a large piece of black fibre optic isulation had hit the blade and gone up through the weed hatch knocking the hatch clean off.the boat was heavily ballisted and there wasn't the now mandatory 11" clearence from the top of the hatch to the water line..so i was trying to hammer the 4" square piece of plastic back through past the blade so i could get the hatch back on whilst water was flowing in at a great rate..an old boat man stuck his haed in and gave the "no finer pump" quote with a smile on his face which bought some humour to a quite stresful situation...

the boat at the time was an old brum tug, we were travelling through the black country and a large piece of black fibre optic isulation had hit the blade and gone up through the weed hatch knocking the hatch clean off.the boat was heavily ballisted and there wasn't the now mandatory 11" clearence from the top of the hatch to the water line..so i was trying to hammer the 4" square piece of plastic back through past the blade so i could get the hatch back on whilst water was flowing in at a great rate..an old boat man stuck his haed in and gave the "no finer pump" quote with a smile on his face which bought some humour to a quite stresful situation...

LOL. I can just imagine it. :))) Reminds me to check my weed hatch next week.

Same story - in Buckingham Today

Narrow escape on frozen canal near Cosgrove

Published on Friday 24th December 2010 10:17 AM

FIRE crews were called to the River Tove near Cosgrove last week following reports for a narrow boat which was sinking.

Just before 6.30pm on Wednesday, December 22, crews from Towcester, Great Holme and Mereway in Northampton found a narrow boat which was sinking after ice pierced its hull.

Fire fighters use pumps to remove water from the boat until the owner was able to get his own pump working.

A spokesman for Cosgrove Marina said: “ In some places the ice is four to eight inches thick. No boats are moving at all, they’re not able to. But it is picturesque on the canal, ideal for a Boxing Day walk.”

Typical reports from the local news media.

I too was wondering how a narrowboat managed to get on the River Tove at Cosgrove. Hardly wide enough for a canoe except where it joins the Ouse.

As Cosgrove Marina has commented - I'd reckon the boat is either on the main line south of Cosgrove Lock or on the moorings along the old Buckingham Arm - which are managed by Cosgrove Marina at the Lock Cottage.

Also, surprised the fire crews managed to get close enough to help except with portable pumps - or were buckets deployed!

Trust the owners have been able to plug the 'ole and keep the water and ice at bay. My thoughts are with them.