The losses & the gains of being trapped...

Heth

Featured Posts

Due to the unfortunate weather conditions & being well & truly iced in, one can comfort oneself in the knowledge that at least we won't lose power living aboard a boat.

But, we'd have run out of water by now if it weren't for Tesco GIANT gallon plastic water bottles & the ability to fill them from the one tap working in the service area. As for the pumpout tank - well that's slowly losing the ability to err, provide a service to queen & country... So there ya go, anybody got similar probs, or (god forbid) good news under the circumstances...?

We're trapped in the ice. Next to a pub.

such a sacrifice Jason, proud of your unstinting support of the nations heritage. :cheers:

edited to add, stuck here, and another week and a half iced in should see me well placed to be in the ideal spot for Christmas. :P

Edited by matty40s

BW do not expect you to move when it is not practical or safe to move.

Cruising in ice involves not only damage to your own blacking at the least, or hull in the worst instance, but can also cause damage to other boats and the infrastructure itself.

If the AA/RAC and police are telling people to stay at home unless the journey is absolutely necessary, I don't think BW would get far in trying to enforce the 14 day rules in these conditions.

Erm, I cant move for a few more days cos its not, errr, not practical !!!!!

Sounds good to me.

by that I meant, you are iced in completely and havn't got a chance of moving, last year I was enclosed at the bottom end of Berkhamstead from the 29th Dec to the 13th Feb. It was impossible to move, I think one boat made it through in the intervening period (poss Alnwick). Even Pete on Bletchley left her behind me for a week as it wouldn't go no further.

I believe, and have spoken to BW people who agree, if they enforced you to try to move on, they would be responsible for any damage caused and any personal costs incurred should such damage occur, or personal injury take place whilst having to move in inclement and unsafe conditions.

Edited by matty40s

by that I meant, you are iced in completely and havn't got a chance of moving, last year I was enclosed at the bottom end of Berkhamstead from the 29th Dec to the 13th Feb. It was impossible to move, I think one boat made it through in the intervening period (poss Alnwick). Even Pete on Bletchley left her behind me for a week as it wouldn't go no further.

I believe, and have spoken to BW people who agree, if they enforced you to try to move on, they would be responsible for any damage caused and any personal costs incurred should such damage occur, or personal injury take place whilst having to move in inclement and unsafe conditions.

lol, check the story on narrowboatworld matty, sometimes, BW are not so relaxed (probably more to it than that i suspect)

Erm, I cant move for a few more days cos its not, errr, not practical !!!!!

Sounds good to me.

Well, it's not is it?

We got iced in next to a pub last year. Sadly, it was a shit pub and we're not big drinkers (is that heresy on this board? :o) Not quite such a convenient spot this time, but it could be worse. Not too far from an Elsan and water, boatyard a few miles away for diesel. We don't have a trolley, but we do have a rucksack which can take a jerry can, bag of coal or as many water bottles as we can fit. We were a bit under-prepared for this cold snap and managed to get trapped with little fuel of any type on board, so we're getting plenty of exercise.

A boat did come by today, but they were really grinding through the ice (and our hull) and didn't even clear the way to the water point for us. :angry:

They made the ducks happy though. They've been playing on the ice islands all day. :lol:

I don't mind being trapped in the ice 14 day rule certainly does not apply. I am in the middle of nowhere at present so only problem at present is water. I am hopping the Dusty on the coal boat will come through today, if he does I will follow him to Banbury just to be a bit closer to some facilities. Last year I was iced in on Rufford Branch and had to abandon boat when I went away for 3 months but as soon as the canal opened my friend moved the boat down to St Mary's Marina where it was booked for winter mooring and a repaint.

BW do not expect you to move when it is not practical or safe to move.

Cruising in ice involves not only damage to your own blacking at the least, or hull in the worst instance, but can also cause damage to other boats and the infrastructure itself.

If the AA/RAC and police are telling people to stay at home unless the journey is absolutely necessary, I don't think BW would get far in trying to enforce the 14 day rules in these conditions.

Blacking again? BW wont accept "i dont want to damage my blacking" as an excuse for not moving on. Where the ice is too thick to move then yes they wont expect you to, but when the thaw starts they will expect those who can move to do so. People moored on the cut have the responsibility of ensuring that if their hull is delicate that it is protected. Navigation does not stop when the canal freezes, you can move if you wish to despite what some people chose to believe.

Well, it's not is it?

We got iced in next to a pub last year. Sadly, it was a shit pub and we're not big drinkers (is that heresy on this board? :o) Not quite such a convenient spot this time, but it could be worse. Not too far from an Elsan and water, boatyard a few miles away for diesel. We don't have a trolley, but we do have a rucksack which can take a jerry can, bag of coal or as many water bottles as we can fit. We were a bit under-prepared for this cold snap and managed to get trapped with little fuel of any type on board, so we're getting plenty of exercise.

A boat did come by today, but they were really grinding through the ice (and our hull) and didn't even clear the way to the water point for us. :angry:

They made the ducks happy though. They've been playing on the ice islands all day. :lol:

Really

Ah, the joys of living on a river! :wub: Aparently the last time the Cam froze over (such that you couldn't navigate) was some decades ago.

Edit: no, it was in 1997: http://www.firstandthird.org/tables/information/freezelent97.shtml, although I don't know if that stopped narrowboats: it doesn't take much ice to make rowing impossible.

Edited by Black Ibis

Blacking again? BW wont accept "i dont want to damage my blacking" as an excuse for not moving on. Where the ice is too thick to move then yes they wont expect you to, but when the thaw starts they will expect those who can move to do so. People moored on the cut have the responsibility of ensuring that if their hull is delicate that it is protected. Navigation does not stop when the canal freezes, you can move if you wish to despite what some people chose to believe.

Really

Just spoke to BW to esquire about the state of facilities in Banbury, I was asked if I was desperate for water and said no still had enough for 7 days but had been on my mooring for 15 days I was told that at present BW are not enforcing 14 day rule even though it was possible to move they were worried about people damaging there boats. So I think Phylis once again you are wrong and making it up as you go along!!!!!

• Greenie 1

Just spoke to BW to esquire about the state of facilities in Banbury, I was asked if I was desperate for water and said no still had enough for 7 days but had been on my mooring for 15 days I was told that at present BW are not enforcing 14 day rule even though it was possible to move they were worried about people damaging there boats. So I think Phylis once again you are wrong and making it up as you go along!!!!!

Damaging boats maybe but blacking is a consumable item that is replaced at regular intervals. Not wanting to damage blacking is not a valid reason for overstaying. If blacking was a delicate item never to be damaged then narrowboats would never move.

Well, that's just ridiculous, how dare they let people overstay! Don't they know how many boats are on the move and needing the mooring spaces at this time of year? Pfft. :wacko:

Damaging boats maybe but blacking is a consumable item that is replaced at regular intervals. Not wanting to damage blacking is not a valid reason for overstaying. If blacking was a delicate item never to be damaged then narrowboats would never move.

And who at BW gave you that information? Boats able to move down canal here if they need yet BW are saying that at present people can overstay 14 days i think they see the damage to blacking as a reason, as it happens I don't agree with them but that is what BW are saying.