The losses & the gains of being trapped...

Heth

Featured Posts

Hmm...

Gains - we're in Lancaster city centre opposite the facilities so there's many worse places to be frozen in. We've got all the shops we need to hand and a very interesting city to visit. I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow when we're going to see if our water hose will reach across the canal to the tap - the chap next door has lent us his hose to extend it so it should be good. New challenges are all part of the adventure.

Losses - the noise from the local nightclub (booming away as I type) and the yobs that think it's really funny to bash on our boat or throw things at it as they walk past. Sat here in my nightie and slippers I find it very intimidating - I can hear them shouting and swearing nearby right now.

I wouldn't have chosen to be iced in here and would dearly love to move. We're not precious about our blacking but don't feel at all confident that we are able to move our boat to the next mooring 4 miles away in thick ice.

We met the BW mooring officer today and he totally understands why we can't move. I don't really give a stuff what anyone else thinks.

When we met him at Drinkwell Lift Bridge on the 22 November he was heading back to his mooring and having a week off

Spoke to him late yesterday and he was between Heyford and Aynho it had taken him all day to do about 3 miles and must say he did not sound that confident about making it to Kings Sutton in the near future!!!!

We are iced in on the Bridgewater Canal, outside Manchester. Handy pub! There's even a coalyard here who fortunately delivered us 10 bags the day before the canal iced over. So snug & warm at least! But conserving water big time - we use disposable paper plates and tinfoil on dishes to save on the washing up. Baby wipes are handy instead of washing hands. Washing of clothes will have to wait! Last year we got iced in for 8 weeks on the L & L near Crooke, this is better as the bus stop is much closer. And of course, there's not been much snow here so the towpath isn't lethal to walk down. The local Warden has been past today, not to talk about us moving but to check that we are OK, which we think is good, because you're only supposed to be on the BRidgewater for a week in total and we've been here for a week now already. The ice is at least 4 inches thick.

Hmm...

Gains - we're in Lancaster city centre opposite the facilities so there's many worse places to be frozen in. We've got all the shops we need to hand and a very interesting city to visit. I'm quite looking forward to tomorrow when we're going to see if our water hose will reach across the canal to the tap - the chap next door has lent us his hose to extend it so it should be good. New challenges are all part of the adventure.

Losses - the noise from the local nightclub (booming away as I type) and the yobs that think it's really funny to bash on our boat or throw things at it as they walk past. Sat here in my nightie and slippers I find it very intimidating - I can hear them shouting and swearing nearby right now.

I wouldn't have chosen to be iced in here and would dearly love to move. We're not precious about our blacking but don't feel at all confident that we are able to move our boat to the next mooring 4 miles away in thick ice.

We met the BW mooring officer today and he totally understands why we can't move. I don't really give a stuff what anyone else thinks.

Why don't you pop out in your nightie and furry slippers and frighten the yobs? Wave your walking stick at them?

OK, maybe not.

K

Hi I am just above King Sutton Lock, Dusty still hopeful of making it today

SDC11569%20copy.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1291199814376

Photo taken yesterday!!!

Just spoke to Dusty and he is moored up about 1 mile from me now he is making very slow progress so hopefully he will be here tomorrow. What would we do without Coal Boats!!

Due to the unfortunate weather conditions & being well & truly iced in, one can comfort oneself in the knowledge that at least we won't lose power living aboard a boat.

But, we'd have run out of water by now if it weren't for Tesco GIANT gallon plastic water bottles & the ability to fill them from the one tap working in the service area. As for the pumpout tank - well that's slowly losing the ability to err, provide a service to queen & country... So there ya go, anybody got similar probs, or (god forbid) good news under the circumstances...?

Now stuck in 5 inches ice in the Marina with all the water taps iced up, loo and shower block closed, The road

to the marina a sheet of black ice.

Firesprite

In the Office

We're stuck a humble distance beyond pub/elsan/tap/station arrangement, and it's that bleeding cold I'm not worried about the engine overheating :)

Come the middle of the week after next trolleying water in will become onerous, but as we're likely getting the ice broke to motor up to get the head gasket fixed it won't be that onerous, as long as we can get back to the pub!