Measham teapot expert needed.

oldironsides

Featured Posts

This is on EBay. Does it look right to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item255f15c9b0

Looking at other Measham Ware priced circa £350 I would hazard a guess not.

There is also a "cheap" milk jug elsewhere on Ebay and the blurb states it is a reproduction

There is also this one which is probably "the genuine article".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BARGE-WARE-JUG-MEASHAM-WARE-FANTASTIC-/300413678822?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item45f20cf4e6

and this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BARGE-WARE-TEA-POT-HOME-SWEET-HOME-/300378204977?pt=UK_Collectables_Nautical&hash=item45efefab31

I am not "an expert" but an interested amateur

No makers mark ?

White unglazed rim on base looks very clean for an old pot item ,should have marks where it's been moved about.

Inside is clean/not used but not uncommon to see this.

Otherwise difficult to say without handling it, as with the repro Staffordshire figure that flooded the market 15 years ago.

A good tip when looking at these is to peer inside. The real thing will be smooth inside because the external decorations were separate and stuck on.

The repros that I've seen have all been moulded onto the outside and you can see the impression they leave when looking inside.

Doesn't mean they're all like that of course.

Definitely modern repro, the style of the "Home Sweet Home" tablet is a dead giveaway. Ive already emailed her to tell her. She replied that I'm not the first!!

Steve

Definitely modern repro, the style of the "Home Sweet Home" tablet is a dead giveaway. Ive already emailed her to tell her. She replied that I'm not the first!!

Steve

We used to sell exactly that pattern on our tripboat in the 80s - 1980s that is, not 1880s! So there is a bit of misrepresentation there.

We used to sell exactly that pattern on our tripboat in the 80s - 1980s that is, not 1880s! So there is a bit of misrepresentation there.

And she knows it!!!!

Steve

Edited to add that she has added some "small print" well down the page saying that

"I was led to believe that this was an original Measham Ware tea pot when I acquired it. It has now been suggested to me that this may be a reproduction. However as I have no means of confirming or refuting its pedigree I am going to let the listing run and advice bidders to look at the pictures closely and draw their own conclusions."

Unfortunately someone has made the opening bid of £49-99.

Steve

Edited by sharpness

And she knows it!!!!

Steve

Edited to add that she has added some "small print" well down the page saying that

"I was led to believe that this was an original Measham Ware tea pot when I acquired it. It has now been suggested to me that this may be a reproduction. However as I have no means of confirming or refuting its pedigree I am going to let the listing run and advice bidders to look at the pictures closely and draw their own conclusions."

Unfortunately someone has made the opening bid of £49-99.

Steve

she certainly does as it has been reported to ebay that it is most likely a reproduction.

she certainly does as it has been reported to ebay that it is most likely a reproduction.

The honourable thing to do rather than 'add info.' (which does come out in very small print/font on the eBay system unfortunately) - would be to cancel the auction (including cancelling the bids so far) and re-list it with a much more accurate description.

No makers mark ?

White unglazed rim on base looks very clean for an old pot item ,should have marks where it's been moved about.

Inside is clean/not used but not uncommon to see this.

Otherwise difficult to say without handling it, as with the repro Staffordshire figure that flooded the market 15 years ago.

The very fact that it's white is surely a giveaway?

There's also an identical one now listed at 99p start.

£4.95 postage, instead of £20 too :unsure:

But even so still listed as "Victorian" or "Vintage".

I know these things are "caveat emptor", but I do get pissed off when I see stuff being flogged on e-Bay that is clearly not what it purports to be, and the seller continues with the sale, and sometimes even doesn't acknowledge, although they have been told it is wrongly described.

I'm not just talking antiques. Even for something like push bikes, someone Googles a specification and price of a modern bike, and says that's what they are selling, even though the pictures show one of a much lower spec, (for example a steel framed bike, when they are claiming alloy).

I'm not suggesting it's always deliberate, but I think once they are told they should do the decent thing.

You don't get far if you complain, most times.

You don't get far if you complain, most times.

Which seems a bit unfair, especially as they are pretty keen, on fake dvds.

I bought a counterfeit set of dvds, complained to ebay, got my paypal payment refunded and the vendor was kicked off ebay, no doubt to return immediately, under a new id, but at least ebay acted.

I too reported it to ebay 2 days ago. Its a shame there is no way of contacting the bidders.

Now up to £55-99

Steve

The very fact that it's white is surely a giveaway?

The painted, script, Home Sweet Home is the real 100% giveaway.

Steve

The honourable thing to do rather than 'add info.' (which does come out in very small print/font on the eBay system unfortunately) - would be to cancel the auction (including cancelling the bids so far) and re-list it with a much more accurate description.

She's also being very sneaky with her caveat - "it MAY BE a reproduction". Also the report to eBay should say "it IS a reproduction". This is absolutely 100% a 1980s pastiche - there is no maybe about it.