Using Honda EU20i Generator In The Rain

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I need some protection from the rain for my Honda EU20i generator because I want to use it here in England where it rains every 10 minutes or so.

Nearly all the covers that I've seen advertised are expensive and only suitable for storage.

Where can I get a suitable box that will let it run but keep the electrics dry?

OK I could make one but I've got so many other things to make and I can't do them all at the same time.

I need some protection from the rain for my Honda EU20i generator because I want to use it here in England where it rains every 10 minutes or so.

Nearly all the covers that I've seen advertised are expensive and only suitable for storage.

OK I could make one but I've got so many other things to make and I can't do them all at the same time.

To be honest, I'm not sure it needs one. No-one around here covers theirs; many people leave them outside, but locked up, permanently.

You may be pleased to know that a friend's EU10 was happily working again a week after it was immersed, whilst running, into the river- pulled in by a passing speeding boat.

Would a suitably sized dog kennel do??

seriously maybe a large plastic box with a suitable hole cut to let the exhaust exit and not get singed..

Im sure one of the large diy emporeums will have something suitable for reasonable dosh....

but mine seem fine in a light shower

taped a sheet of plastic sheet (peice of coal bag ) over the plugs with gaffa tape,,,,

time @ 1 minute = cost 0.02p

Fishermans umbrella from ebay?

I cant find anything really on hondas own site but it appears the Eu10/20 are IP23 rated which means they should be able to withstand spraying water. "Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect"

So i would probably just run it as it is. If you leaving it outside 24/7 i would erect a suitable flat board a decent way above it for protection, but that would be mainly from UV damage to protect it aesthetics and resale above anything else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Daniel

My Honda EU owner's manual distinctly says not to run it in the rain and let it get wet, but I guess there are owners who are unaware or ignore that advice and haven't had a problem... Also, these generators are not designed to be run in a box, which is why the manual advises 1m clearance from walls. Air intake and exhaust holes are not adequate to prevent a boxed in generator from overheating (ask me how I know!), so a plastic box is definitely a bad idea.

If you want to run the generator in the rain and want to protect it, put a large cover over the top but leave the sides clear (unless you can come up with louvered sides).

Edited by blackrose

How about a suitably sized piece of chicken wire, bent to make a 'tunnel' and covered with some aluminium foil or plastic sheet to 'waterproof' it ?

A bit light duty, so likely no good if it's windy, but hopefully would be easy to fold up to store.

Nick

We have a tarpaulin attached onto our hand rails with bungee straps and pegged to the ground with tent pegs. When the genny isn't in use the tarp' is rolled up and secured with shorter bungees.

Not sure how you would attach to a folded steel hand rail though.