Manchester to Chester: The quickest route?

Henri

Featured Posts

Hello All,

I'm going to make the trip from Manchester to Chester soon - just wondered what the quickest route is?

I was going to head from Manchester down the Bridgewater to Middlewich, across to just North of Northwich and then up to Chester - about 25 hours or so all in.

Is it possible to get from Manchester down the Manchester Ship canal to Ellesmere Port and down to Chester from there does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hello All,

I'm going to make the trip from Manchester to Chester soon - just wondered what the quickest route is?

I was going to head from Manchester down the Bridgewater to Middlewich, across to just North of Northwich and then up to Chester - about 25 hours or so all in.

Is it possible to get from Manchester down the Manchester Ship canal to Ellesmere Port and down to Chester from there does anyone know?

It is possible to go via the ship canal, but you have to comply with their rules and regulations in addition to the usual BW ones. I believe you will need an appropriate certificate of seaworthiness*

Richard

*Is that the right name? We had an extra piece of paper produced by our surveyor to satisfy the MSC

Edited by RLWP

It is possible to go via the ship canal, but you have to comply with their rules and regulations in addition to the usual BW ones. I believe you will need an appropriate certificate of seaworthiness*

Richard

*Is that the right name? We had an extra piece of paper produced by our surveyor to satisfy the MSC

You will also need to shell out a fair few readies, and I believe these days they prefer narrow boats in pairs

Hello All,

If you go on the Ship Canal you need to allow a full day from Pomona Lock to Ellesmere Port boat museum. This years price is £21 per lock.

Steve

Hello All,

Why the quickest? Why not go the most scenic way. Once you get past Sale the via Middlewich route is lovely

Why the quickest? Why not go the most scenic way. Once you get past Sale the via Middlewich route is lovely

Agreed. I quite like going through Trafford/Sale etc too,but I know some aren't keen.

The quickest most direct route is via the Manchester Ship Canal. You'd need to go down onto the Ship Canal from the Bridgewater the day before, overnighting in Salford Quays for the one day trip up to Ellesmere Port. Once there it's about 3 hours or so to Chester. It won't be cheap going this way as you'll need to pay for Pomona Lock if you're not on a Bridgewater License and you will also need to pay for each lock and have a certificate of seaworthiness before you.

I'd recommend going via the T&M and Shroppie. If you push it you can be there in 2 and a half days.

If you go on the Ship Canal you need to allow a full day from Pomona Lock to Ellesmere Port boat museum. This years price is £21 per lock.

Steve

6 hours on a NB , EP to top of Hulme Lock. The cost per lock looks about the same as it was then, about 15years ago- surprising. One titchy boat in the 600ft locks is interesting too, doesn't get washed around when the ground paddles are opened unlike the Rochdale 9.Comment from the Lockmaster at Latchford " we knew you were on the way, but didn't expect you so soon"

Bill

When was this Richard? When we went about 8 years ago we were allowed to travel on our own.

Steve

2003. The reason was that they thought us to be too inexperienced. A fair assessment as we had four one week holidays and three days of boat ownership under our belts at that time.

Richard

Steve

I had the impression it was more expensive (and complex) than that. I need to do it next month from Weston Marsh (T&M too shallow :banghead: ), was reckoning on not much change out of £150 for the whole thing including Pomona. Please tell me you're right ;)

Tim

Tim will you get through PB tunnel?

Yes, with the wheelbox off, shouldn't be a problem.

The issue is Soot Hill bridge, there's a bank of what feels like gravel about 6' North of the bridgehole. We got firmly stuck at the fore-end on it, drawing about 3' 3", so not a cat in h*ll's chance with the stern at ~3' 5" (with some weight removed). Went back with a rubber dinghy & marked poles to do some soundings, it's about 3'2" right across and pretty solid. I've heard of modern nb's getting stuck & having to get pulled off there.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I had the impression it was more expensive (and complex) than that. I need to do it next month from Weston Marsh (T&M too shallow :banghead: ), was reckoning on not much change out of £150 for the whole thing including Pomona. Please tell me you're right ;)

Tim

Those are this years lock prices. I'm not sure but I think there are 5 locks. Best to arrange the paperwork well in advance though.

Steve

Yes, with the wheelbox off, shouldn't be a problem.

The issue is Soot Hill bridge, there's a bank of what feels like gravel about 6' North of the bridgehole. We got firmly stuck at the fore-end on it, drawing about 3' 3", so not a cat in h*ll's chance with the stern at ~3' 5" (with some weight removed). Went back with a rubber dinghy & marked poles to do some soundings, it's about 3'2" right across and pretty solid. I've heard of modern nb's getting stuck & having to get pulled off there.

Tim

Ah yes, that bridge... bit of a pain, I always scrape the bottom going through there, luckily never been stuck though. Wouldn't a snatch through help?

Ah yes, that bridge... bit of a pain, I always scrape the bottom going through there, luckily never been stuck though. Wouldn't a snatch through help?

No, went prepared with a powerful boat ahead. Not a chance. It needs digging out. One suggestion is that it's the remains of a dam from when the area behind the Red Lion was concrete lined.

Tim

No, went prepared with a powerful boat ahead. Not a chance. It needs digging out. One suggestion is that it's the remains of a dam from when the area behind the Red Lion was concrete lined.

Tim

I have a set of decent waders if you're feeling energetic ;)