Are you a member of IWA

Jo Gilbertson

Featured Posts

If yes, can you explain why you are , and what you hope they can do for the waterways?

If no, are you able to say why not and if relevant - what changes IWA could make that might make you join?

Yes. Because i got good cheap coffee and tea at the festival at Beale. Plus, I was able to leave my boat in safety at Hillingdon boat club for a week rather on the tow path, where it was tampered with while I left it at Wolvercote. There seems to be some arrangements with boat clubs to have temp moorings for a small donation to the club. For this reason alone it was worth joining plus the money will be used for the system somewhere.

Have been a for a couple of years now - joined when we were regular hirers -

Though I have to say I'm not really sure why now that you have asked - seemd like a good idea at the time.

No.

I was a disillusioned member for many years (see the two Al(l)an's answers for reasons why).

I finally left when I acquired a John Knill boat and delved deeper into the murky history of the organisation.

The IWA/BW love-in now seems to be heading towards a formal marriage...seems like a (not very good) poacher turning (not very good) gamekeeper to me.

No. I haven't had anything to do with the IWA ever since the days in the mid to late '70s when they refused to give evidence at the Vale of Belvoir mining enquiry and told those of us campaigning and working to save those waterways with no immediate hope of restoration, such as the Chesterfield beyond Worksop, the Grantham and the Huddersfield Narrow that we were harming the cause for restoration of other waterways by campaigning to save these lost causes. How much easier would the restoration of the Chesterfield beyond Norwood have been, for example, if we could have stopped the use of the stretch through Killamarsh being used for landfill, but the IWA refused to have anything to do with things like this back then as they reckoned it damaged the credibility of the "realistic" restoration schemes. I did chuckle at the irony of the IWA Campaign Rally being held at Kiveton Park.

Yes. Because i got good cheap coffee and tea at the festival at Beale. Plus, I was able to leave my boat in safety at Hillingdon boat club for a week rather on the tow path, where it was tampered with while I left it at Wolvercote. There seems to be some arrangements with boat clubs to have temp moorings for a small donation to the club. For this reason alone it was worth joining plus the money will be used for the system somewhere.

Are you sure you are not confusing IWA with AWCC who have reciprocal arrangements between clubs?

Here is the opening part of BW's July board meeting minutes (not yet available on BW's website) -

The Chairman welcomed Mr Henderson to the meeting explaining that that

Mr Henderson would attend meetings of the Board as an observer in his

capacity as Chairman of the Inland Waterways Association. It was hoped

that this would facilitate a better understanding of issues of mutual interest

between the two organisations. Mr Henderson gave a brief resume of his

career to date by way of introduction.

I'm not sure if that is a reason to join or not!

Five Clives may also be of interest.

Are you sure you are not confusing IWA with AWCC who have reciprocal arrangements between clubs?

I suspect the same confusion.

As a member of an AWCC-affiliated club I always thought this arrangement would be useful to me until I tried to make use of it only to be told, 3 times in a row at 3 different clubs, that the arrangement "only applied to boats of 45ft or less"

Here is the opening part of BW's July board meeting minutes (not yet available on BW's website) -

The Chairman welcomed Mr Henderson to the meeting explaining that that

Mr Henderson would attend meetings of the Board as an observer in his

capacity as Chairman of the Inland Waterways Association. It was hoped

that this would facilitate a better understanding of issues of mutual interest

between the two organisations. Mr Henderson gave a brief resume of his

career to date by way of introduction.

I'm not sure if that is a reason to join or not!

Five Clives may also be of interest.

If he's there only as an observer, I can see how it would aid the IWA in understanding BW's concerns but fail to see how it would help BW understand the IWA's concerns.

Have been a for a couple of years now - joined when we were regular hirers -

Though I have to say I'm not really sure why now that you have asked - seemd like a good idea at the time.

That is almost exactly the same as me. Yes, we are member, and I don't really know why. We get a nice little pamphlet from time to time explaining how they are rearranging their Byzantine structure of committees I suppose

Richard

No.

Was once.

But these days feel they have totally lost the plot, and serve very little purpose.

Sorry.

Don't apologise - what might make you change your mind - what would they ave to do or change ?

I was a member for many years, organised various events and served as Branch Chairman for a while. I resigned when they appeared to become just another branch of BW and showed no interest in the needs of the majority of boaters.

Thanks , what do they need to do to regain your trust?

Don't apologise - what might make you change your mind - what would they ave to do or change ?

Thanks , what do they need to do to regain your trust?

Perhaps, firstly, you would answer a couple of questions;

1. What is your connection to IWA (past, present or aspirational)?
  2. Why do you want to know?

If yes, can you explain why you are , and what you hope they can do for the waterways?

If no, are you able to say why not and if relevant - what changes IWA could make that might make you join?

Yes, because they have more "clout" than the other waterway related volunteer organisation.

I have been a member since 1973, and intend to stay one.

If more people joined and got involved, they could iron out any percieved problems with the IWA.

As I see it, the IWA (a UK Charity) is somewhat constrained by its charitable aims and the now onerous rules set by the Charities Commission.

One way forward, would be a two tier organisation, like the CTC (Cyle Touring Club), which runs its charity at arms length, so it can still be seen to be giving benefits to members.

I would also like to know the answer to those questions. You've got two threads running now on similar themes and I think you're canvassing opinions for some reason, and I'd like to know what that reason is

Richard

I would also like to know the answer to those questions. You've got two threads running now on similar themes and I think you're canvassing opinions for some reason, and I'd like to know what that reason is

Richard

No problem - I work for IWA as their campaign and communications manager - I'm a boater my self, 49 YO inside leg 31 inches, married one child , over weight and I am interested to know why IWA polarises opinion so much - I wanted to ask 'real people' and preferably understand from non members what it is about IWA- what the real issues are and what you think we ought to be doing about it ... - I understand listening to people and trying to do something positive as a result doesnt happen much with most organisations these days. I want to try and do something about it - knowing your views might be a good start.

Richard

Edited by captainwaterway

Yes. Because i got good cheap coffee and tea at the festival at Beale. ...

Hmmm - I thought the coffee was poor (instant) and expensive. But I still joined up!

My feeling was that, as well as supporting Cotswold Canal Trust at the local level, we should also support a national group.

No problem - I work for IWA as their campaign and communications manager - I'm a boater my self, 49 YO inside leg 31 inches, married one child , over weight and I am interested to know why IWA polarises opinion so much - I wanted to ask 'real people' and preferably understand from non members what it is about IWA- what the real issues are and what you think we ought to be doing about it ... - I understand listening to people and trying to do something positive as a result doesnt happen much with most organisations these days. I want to try and do something about it - knowing your views might be a good start.

• Greenie 1

So why didn't you declare that at the outset?? -

just the type of thing that hacks folk off I would say

Its a forum - do I have to say who I am ?-

No, you don't HAVE to say who you are.

However, if you start asking questions that have an agenda without saying who you are, you may not find yourself well received.

So, one of the things that puts me off the IWA is the way they solicit opinions from people in an underhand way.

No, you don't HAVE to say who you are.

However, if you start asking questions that have an agenda without saying who you are, you may not find yourself well received.

So, one of the things that puts me off the IWA is the way they solicit opinions from people in an underhand way.

Sorry whats underhand in asking ?-

So why didn't you declare that at the outset?? -

just the type of thing that hacks folk off I would say

That's a bit harsh, especially as you answered before any such questions arose

Often the best way to find out what people think is to conceal your motive for asking, once people know the motives the views tend to polarise with the pros and antis coming forward.

To assist further, perhaps I should clarify why I wasn't a member before. Throughout my professional career I've ended up advising on inland waterways, for a long time I felt that not being a member looked more impartial, and I am still at pains to point out to people that my ACTIVE membership is restricted to freight, where to be honest, who knows who and nepotism abound anyway (in the industry, not the IWA). There were one or two flash points where I didn't see eye to eye with them, and in the nineties one or two local authorities took the IWA advice on appointing consultants and ended up wishing they hadn't. However, with the likes of Vaughan Welch involved such problems have been removed.

Even as a member I don't think they are above criticism. I'm chairman of the Somersetshire Coal canal Society, and I do wander what we get out of the IWA other than cheap insurance, but then we are in an area where the canal societies are arguably stronger than the IWA.

I also question which nit though that the IWA endorsing the considerate boater website was a good idea. My views on that website are well known (I think the man who runs it is a pratt, and it shows) and my view os the IWA should develop it's own boaters code not latch onto someone else's flawed advice

Also, how many societies that I'm not a member of would anyone wish me to explain away?

• Greenie 1