Whale Gulper

Biggles

Featured Posts

I can thoroughly recommend ours. We've had it over a year with absolutely no problems. It copes with everything we put down the bath plughole :) It can run dry without burning itself out. It was dead easy to install - pipe in, pipe out, job's a good'un. It doesn't leak, and does not require a sump.

Good little gadget, in our (limited) experience. A tad expensive. I wonder if anyone else has found a suitable cheaper alternative?

I can thoroughly recommend ours. We've had it over a year with absolutely no problems. It copes with everything we put down the bath plughole :) It can run dry without burning itself out. It was dead easy to install - pipe in, pipe out, job's a good'un. It doesn't leak, and does not require a sump.

Good little gadget, in our (limited) experience. A tad expensive. I wonder if anyone else has found a suitable cheaper alternative?

After spending a couple of wonths waiting for a second hand one to come up on e-bay we bit the bullet and bought a new one - well my Dad did anyway! I quite agree it is an expensive pump although to be fair it is a lot of pump for the money; especially in that it has proven reliabilty and does not require a sump. The very fact it won't cleaning out every 5 minutes has got to be worth the premium.

I've looked for similar offerings but it appears that the only other 'single diapragm' model available that is remotely similar is one made by Jabesco.

My only gripe is the pump is incredibly noisy! This can be reduced somewhat if the pump speed is matched with the incoming flow so less air is sucked up.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Ive had two of these on my last two boats one had a sump box and the current one doesnt but never had a problem with either.

Gulper 220 i assume your talking about?

Yes there not the cheapest but in my eyes you get what you pay for!...

They are virtually indestructable, I am having one on my barge.

For 24v boats, Gulpers are often available on Ebay with flow switch, from disabled shower / bath units, just do general search.

These normally go for peanuts!

I have been looking on eBay for one of these for some time and I have never seen one go for peanuts. Perhaps you show me one?

There does seem to be bu&&er all in the way of decent boaty stuff on Ebay at the moment.

About 6 months ago I won two 24v Gulper 220's for under 30 quid. Both were ex disabled toilet, with flow switch and timer and transformer. You can buy pass the transformer and use the over run timer straight from 24v.

Ebay 160481225447

12v 220 starting bid £2, 2 days to go, no bids, BIN £50

Ebay 140450135382

presumably 24v, with transformer and flow switch starting bid £10, no bids, 5 days to go

Ebay 140450142379

Presumably 24v, with flow switch, £10, no bids, 5 days to go

Ebay 110585486182

24v with transformer and flow switch one bid £5, 7 days to go

Happy bidding! :P

Can be mounted above floor level.

That woke me up!

So you can plumb the shower outlet down and then back up to a Gulper fitted above the floor and it'll suck the water out happily? That's worth knowing.

Tony

That woke me up!

So you can plumb the shower outlet down and then back up to a Gulper fitted above the floor and it'll suck the water out happily? That's worth knowing.

Tony

Yes, mines about 9" above the outlet and works fine, it takes a while to suck out the last bit but it deals with most of it.

I seem to recal reading in the installation instructions that the gulper will pump up to a height of 3 metres.

15mm Flow switches are available from Farnell for less than 10 quid and appear to be identical to the Gulper version. I think it might need a relay though.

edit

Safe linky http://uk.farnell.com/gentech-international/fs-10/flow-switch-15mm-0-5l-min/dp/1006772

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Thanks. My boat is 24V. I saw an advert which showed a transformer with the pump. The output of the transformer was 21V. That was why I asked. Can I assume any Gulpher 220 with a transfomer is 24V DC?

Yep!

I have tried the over run timer ciruit (which keeps the gulper ruming for around 30 secs after input water flow has ceased) direct from 24v batteries being charged and it worked OK.

I seem to recal reading in the installation instructions that the gulper will pump up to a height of 3 metres.

15mm Flow switches are available from Farnell for less than 10 quid and appear to be identical to the Gulper version. I think it might need a relay though.

edit

Safe linky http://uk.farnell.com/gentech-international/fs-10/flow-switch-15mm-0-5l-min/dp/1006772

It certainly looks the same as the ones I got with my disabled shower jobbies. They do swith a relay in the timer/control circuit.

Thanks Neil, I have received a response from a seller confirming their pump has 24V stamped on the bottom. My existing pump is about 450mm above the outlet and is operated using an on/off switch. Is it simple to connect in a flow switch and if I do would it switch on and off automatically?

Thanks Neil, I have received a response from a seller confirming their pump has 24V stamped on the bottom. My existing pump is about 450mm above the outlet and is operated using an on/off switch. Is it simple to connect in a flow switch and if I do would it switch on and off automatically?

The flow switch is mounted on the cold water input to the shower. You could switch the pump direct from the flow switch / 24v relay, but you really need an over run timer, so that the gulper runs for about 30 seconds to ensure the shower tray is completely emptied. If you are getting an ex-disabled shower 24v Gulper with 240v transformer, if will, if the same as my two, have the relay and timer built in. As I mentioned, this cicuit can be isolated from the transformer / rectifier and be driven direct from your 24v DC supply.

That woke me up!

Tony

We have had one of these on the boat for 6 years and it is level with the gunnel nearly four feet above the bath outlet, sucks it up all that way and blasts it out. And with the turn of a tap, will empty the bilge as well. Hardly ever remember to clean it out and it just goes on and on.