Whale Gulper

Biggles

Featured Posts

So I can see how this would work with a flow switch on the shower feed but what about actuating on a waste flow. i.e. When the plug is pulled out of a bath.

Biggles

Assuming you get out of the bath at some point, whats wrong with a switch on the wall to empty it. It is only 12 volts but you could even have a pull switch from the ceiling.

Our shower bath has a Jabsco. Its done 10 years so far with no maintenance at all, and still works aswell as it did when new. Its very quick at emptying the bath, a fantastic little pump, can run dry and can be situated above water level.

I have it on a manual switch. For a shower I switch it on as I go in and off when I get out. Bloody hell, its such an effort, I dont think I'll be able to cope much longer, I wish it came on automatically, I'd have more electrical stuff to play with when it goes wrong then.

31460.gif

• Greenie 1

A pull switch inside the shower enclosure is best IMO, you can leave it off if you want to soak your feet a bit and it is conveniently at hand to operate (we have a cork key fob on the end of the cord - easy to grasp) also you can leave it on for a while after the shower is turned off, there is no danger of inadvertently leaving it on due to the noise it makes.

So I can see how this would work with a flow switch on the shower feed but what about actuating on a waste flow. i.e. When the plug is pulled out of a bath.

Biggles

The flow switch mentioned is incorporated in a bit of 15mm copper pipe. It has to be set vertically, with flow from bottom to top. It consists of a magnetised pelett, within restrictions in the tube, that is drawn upwards by the flow, this actuates a reed switch on the side. So me no thinky this will work in a drain, without the expense of buying another type of flow switch, which tend to be rather more expensive. I am not advocating the use of this kit, but I got it "free" with my 30 quid gulper, so may have a play with it. I will have a bypass switch, much like I do with the "float" switch, on the totally cr@p Attwood shower sump box I was lumbered with on Earnest. (it is so shoe-horned in, that I have never dared to replace it with a gulper)

I've got one of the new Gulper IC pumps and the IC gulley. Fully automatic start and stops when the gulley is empty for 15 seconds, then runs for a few more seconds to empty the drips!

Absolutely fantastic if a bit expensive but I expect that it will pay for itself over the years and no messing about with in-line flow switches or having to turn it on/off etc.

http://www.whale-pumps.com/documents/brochure/IC_New_Brochure0810.pdf

Colin