Loughborough to Leeds anyone?

MikeV

Featured Posts

I need to get the boat back to the Leeds and Liverpool and, as the Wigan end is still a no go, the quickest route back to Leeds is via the Trent. Unfortunately my wife doesn't fancy it as she doesn't like big rivers and especially not tidal bits, and I don't fancy it single handed. I'm not suggesting this is the pretty route as it is nearly all big river cruising and if you like locking, I'm afraid there's only about 30 altogether, and most of these will either be manned or automated.

So does anyone fancy crewing any part of a trip from Loughborough to Leeds starting September 18th, including the tidal Trent? According to CanalPlanner I should be able to do this in about a week, assuming no incidents and suitable weather for the tidal Trent.

Obviously crew with prior experience of the tidal Trent would be a big plus, although I will have the charts and tide tables worked out before I get to that part. Alternatively, an experienced crew person or couple - the boat sleeps 2+2 - to assist me with the trip. Please PM me if this is of interest. //Mike

As I haven't been able to find crew for the date above I'll open up the start window see if someone would like to assist starting any time in the next week, i.e. 18th - 25th September from Loughborough.

Other alternatives would to meet me at Newark and/or drop off at Keadby if you can only spare a few days. I'd be happy to cover travel expenses to/from the boat. Please PM if of interest. Tks!

Edited by MikeV

If you can't get anyone, there's no reason why you shouldn't do this singlehanded. I'd help, if I weren't at present on the same route, at present rocking about on the waves on the Aire & Calder! You probably need neither charts nor tables for the Trent - just ask the lockies, who are very helpful - but do keep an eye on the weather. There's no way I'd be on the tidal Trent in winds like we've had yesterday and today. Wind against tide can create some big waves, and the river twists about so much that there are always some reaches where this applies, no matter what the wind direction.

The most difficult bits to do singlehanded are not the tidal bits but the big self-operated locks of the Aire & Calder, and trying to ignore the motorists you hold up on the New Junction swing and lift bridges! The most difficult bits overall are getting into the locks at Keadby and West Stockwith (if you decide to stop over there), but there's only one person can be at the tiller!

Good luck

Mac

Hi Mike

I can only echo Mac's comments. The tidal stretch on a nice calmish day is a walk in the park really.

I single handed that route a few times over the years and the tricky bits are working the Trent locks if they are not manned as you will have to shin up and down those tall ladders, but I would have thought at this time of year there will still be plenty of other boaters making the trip so you won't be alone in that respect.

Tbh it is actually easier to avoid Keadby altogether and just plod round Trent Falls and go in at Goole or Selby if the tides are neaps and the weather is calm as you then avoid the hassle of those bridges on the Stainforth and New Junction canals.

I would have volunteered my services (used to moor up at Wanless farm) but I've got health problems at present, so good luck!

Richard

I need to get the boat back to the Leeds and Liverpool and, as the Wigan end is still a no go, the quickest route back to Leeds is via the Trent. Unfortunately my wife doesn't fancy it as she doesn't like big rivers and especially not tidal bits, and I don't fancy it single handed. I'm not suggesting this is the pretty route as it is nearly all big river cruising and if you like locking, I'm afraid there's only about 30 altogether, and most of these will either be manned or automated.

So does anyone fancy crewing any part of a trip from Loughborough to Leeds starting September 18th, including the tidal Trent? According to CanalPlanner I should be able to do this in about a week, assuming no incidents and suitable weather for the tidal Trent.

Obviously crew with prior experience of the tidal Trent would be a big plus, although I will have the charts and tide tables worked out before I get to that part. Alternatively, an experienced crew person or couple - the boat sleeps 2+2 - to assist me with the trip. Please PM me if this is of interest. //Mike

I can do it, phone me 01983-810698 barrie I will phone you back my calls are free, as long as it is not a mobile.

Thanks for all your replies. Crew (forum member) now on board so we're ready to set off up to the Trent in the morning. The weather looks fair for the next few days so it should be a good trip!

And it certainly was a cracking 6 days!

Mike and I found we shared a similar taste for ale and managed to find some excellent pubs along the way, with only the one evening (at Barnby Dun) having a search on to find something decent. The places I can recommend are:

Loughborough, The Swan in the Rushes

Nottingham Embankment (near), The Trent Navigation

North Muskham, The Muskham Ferry

Gainsborough, The Eight Jolly Brewers

Barnby Dun, The Olive Tree (good food too)

Castleford, The Glass Blower

The highlight for me was the Titanic White Star at Gainsborough (8 Jolly Brewers)

Thanks again to Mike for making the research possible..... ;)

:cheers:

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Mike and I found we shared a similar taste for ale and managed to find some excellent pubs along the way, with only the one evening (at Barnby Dun) having a search on to find something decent. The places I can recommend are:

The highlight for me was the Titanic White Star at Gainsborough (8 Jolly Brewers)

You've just made me jealous! :cheers:

We found the same about Barnby Dun.....so much so, we composed a song about it...to the tune of Galveston (Glenn Campbell) :P

And the boating ... was that good? :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

Any pics to share?

Mini blog with pics....

Firstly many thanks to Hairy Neil for accompanying me on this trip. He makes a first class crew!

Day 1 was from Pillings Lock Marina to the steps of the County Hall, Nottingham on the Trent. The morning was beautiful for cruising up the Soar although it clouded over a little in the afternoon as we got onto the Beeston cut. As we descended Meadow Lane lock onto the Trent we heard the roar of the crowd from the local football stadium. As Neil mention we went in search of a pub and found the Trent Navigation where they were just closing down the barbecue and offering the last hotdogs for a £1 each. How could we refuse!

Day 2 took us down through Newark and to the end of the non-tidal Trent to Cromwell lock. Newark Town Lock:

gallery_1058_594_108393.jpgWe had planned to stop on the pub moorings at North Muskham but the pontoons there were only about 20ft long and I didn't fancy having the rest of the boat sticking out into the river exposed to the stream and wind, so we just stopped for a quick pint and carried on to Cromwell lock where we moored against the wall as the floating pontoons were full. gallery_1058_594_113086.jpg

Day 3 we headed down through Cromwell lock and out onto the tidal Trent at 9:30 to catch the high tide. gallery_1058_594_109295.jpg We had the benefit of the stream and the ebb tide to propel us down to Gainsborough arriving about 3:30pm. Gainsborough wharves:gallery_1058_594_89009.jpg

While on the Gainsborough pontoon we were passed by a commercial barge using the incoming flood tide to travel upstream. gallery_1058_594_89426.jpg

Day 4: Another dumb barge and pusher tug went through at 6:00am the next morning. We aimed to set off at 07:30 to push the last of the incoming flood and then catch the ebb down to Keadby. This turned out to be a little too early and for the first hour we were probably only making about 1-2 mph against the tide but soon picked up speed once it turned. We arrived at Keadby at 11:30. Keadby lift bridge: gallery_1058_594_29952.jpg. The entrance to Keadby lock was made particularly tricky by a moored freighter. The ebb and stream passed this ship at about 2-3 mph creating an anticlockwise eddy in the mouth of the lock. I tried to follow the text book approach of slowly edging the bow towards the lock but the eddy grabbed the boat and swung the bow out and the stern in. After being pinned across the lock entrance for a few minutes I decided the easiest course of action was to use the eddy to turn me round and enter the lock backwards! gallery_1058_594_48973.jpg Fortunately there is plenty of room above the lock to wind a 55ft boat. We then carried on to Bramwith junction for an overnight stop.

Day 5 got us as far as Castleford and then on the last day we did the final few miles into Leeds Clarence dock arriving about 12:30. It was a great trip and although Neil only remembers the beer, I thoroughly enjoyed the boating as well!! //Mike

Excellent pics Mike - thank you :cheers:

We had our first bit of river experience on the Ribble Link and Dave's chomping at the bit for more - it does scare me a bit - everything's a lot bigger on the rivers isn't it!

But then I'm a bit of a big girl's blouse :D

Mini blog with pics....

Firstly many thanks to Hairy Neil for accompanying me on this trip. He makes a first class crew!

I've been practicing for most of my life! B)

Day 1 was from Pillings Lock Marina to the steps of the County Hall, Nottingham on the Trent. The morning was beautiful for cruising up the Soar although it clouded over a little in the afternoon as we got onto the Beeston cut. As we descended Meadow Lane lock onto the Trent we heard the roar of the crowd from the local football stadium. As Neil mention we went in search of a pub and found the Trent Navigation where they were just closing down the barbecue and offering the last hotdogs for a £1 each. How could we refuse!

The vast majority of Mike's route I've previously cruised (the 300 yards upstream of Meadow Lane lock on the Trent to our mooring at County Hall was a first!) , never as a complete journey and odd bits only in the other direction. Though all of it was 10 years ago or longer, I was struck by how much I didn't recognise at all..... :help:

Day 2 Newark Town Lock:

gallery_1058_594_108393.jpg

Mike's and my view on redundant riverside buildings differed somewhat. The remains of this old stone building in the distance at Newark has stood here derelict for over 350 years, should we demolish it? :P

More to follow, work beckons...

Is it now permissible to moor a narrowboat on the pontoon at Gainsborough? I've often wanted to stop but have always been put off by the notices which forbid it.

Which notices are they? If it says no barges, it doesn't mean narrowboats, only the things like in the photo's above! :-)

Mike

Is it now permissible to moor a narrowboat on the pontoon at Gainsborough? I've often wanted to stop but have always been put off by the notices which forbid it.

I didnt think it was :o

Im sure the signs on the pontoon moorings at both Gainsborough and Dunham say no steel craft or commercial craft mooring. Will check next time we go past.

No they don't mention "barges" though as Phylis says I believe it prohibits commercial craft at both Gainsborough and Dunham.

I think Dunham is OK for narrow boats but I'm not sure. At Gainsborough I'm sure it either forbids steel boats or else imposes a maximum length limit. I did hear somewhere that narrowboats were not allowed because it was feared that they were more likely to damage or dislodge the pontoon than a cruiser.

No they don't mention "barges" though as Phylis says I believe it prohibits commercial craft at both Gainsborough and Dunham.

When I travelled down there, I did wonder if anyone would complain about Victoria which is a commercial vessel!

Mike

When I travelled down there, I did wonder if anyone would complain about Victoria which is a commercial vessel!

Mike

The one time we could, Earnest was pelted with slates as we were mooring up, so we bu&&ered off and just made West Stockwith.

At Gainsborough I'm sure it either forbids steel boats or else imposes a maximum length limit. I did hear somewhere that narrowboats were not allowed because it was feared that they were more likely to damage or dislodge the pontoon than a cruiser.

I didn't see any signs at Gainsborough. There are definitely none visible from the water side. On the other side of the gate at the top of the ramp, which you can open with a BW key, there was a pay-and-display machine with its wires hanging out and a timetable for when aegres (or aegirs) are expected when it is obviously unsafe to be moored there. Other than that I saw no signs at all.

I have a copy of John Lower's book "Narrowboat on The Trent" that says that Gainsborough or Torksey can be used as a mooring while waiting for the tide but Gainsborough can only be used when no aegre is forecast. The version I have is copyright dated 2010 so should be right up to date.