Loughborough to Leeds anyone?

MikeV

Featured Posts

Loughborough, The Swan in the Rushes

Cracking pub isnt it!

I've been a couple of times before..... :cheers:

Those who have read Mike's report will perhaps notice we left Pillings Lock Marina on the saturday morning and may have wondered how I came to recommend The Swan. I must confess I arrived at Loughborough railway station on the friday afternoon, and as I walked towards the canal towpath on Nottingham Road, complete with 20lbs ruck sack, I had the dilema. Do I turn left and head straight for Pillings Lock or turn right and walk an extra couple of miles for a swift one in The Swan..... B)

Day 3 we headed down through Cromwell lock and out onto the tidal Trent at 9:30 to catch the high tide. gallery_1058_594_109295.jpg We had the benefit of the stream and the ebb tide to propel us down to Gainsborough arriving about 3:30pm. Gainsborough wharves:gallery_1058_594_89009.jpg

While on the Gainsborough pontoon we were passed by a commercial barge using the incoming flood tide to travel upstream. gallery_1058_594_89426.jpg

Not much to see along this length except high flood banks. My only observation on this day was the decomissioned power stations. Why do they demolish the power house but leave the cooling towers? My only guess is it's to do with the value of the scrap metal. The concrete towers have no residual value so are left behind?