Tow needed into Manchester

Matthew Dowson

Featured Posts

My son (22) is moored south of Saltersford Tunnel, having finally launched his 35ft Nb Merganser after refurbishing it, shame he didn't fettle the cooling system on the engine and he is badly overheating due to the daft car radiator the last owner fitted to a 15hp Kubota 3 cylinder (looks like it was once a stationary industrial engine), I wondered if anyone was heading into Manchester and would give him a tow all/part of the way?

I've only seen the boat briefly once before he set off, and not being an engine expert, I thought the cooling 'looks a bit lightweight', there seems to be a skin tank as there is a pipe into the engine hole from one side of the swim, but we don't know why it isn't being used. He has now got the fan going on the radiator and its getting the temp down to 80-90C. Tickover is v. high at 1000 RPM is that normal for these engines? My Lister runs at 500 RPM.

He's heading for Stretford Marina, where he has a berth, having departed from Northwich - as you can see he hasn't got far.

Cheers

Edited by Matthew Dowson

Hi Matthew,

How soon does your son need to get back to Stretford? I'm leaving the Stretford area this weekend, heading to Northwich, but I will be returning the week after and could happily pick up the tow on the way back if this is any use to you?

Hi Matthew,

How soon does your son need to get back to Stretford? I'm leaving the Stretford area this weekend, heading to Northwich, but I will be returning the week after and could happily pick up the tow on the way back if this is any use to you?

Really nice offer and only 4 mins after my post, what a forum! I have passed it on, he's got friend helping him tomorrow and they're going to see if they can enlarge the cooling system with perhaps a much bigger radiator from a scrapyard. But look out for him, its a pretty looking cruiser stern one-off hull newly primer-ed in grey.

Many thanks

It's not "Aylesbury Merganser" by any chance is it?

It's a way off yet but if your son is still struggling when I come to pass the weekend after this one, let me know, I'm heading in that direction anyway and could drop him off at Stretford.

Hi Liam, it's still there. a mate of mine has got a new radiator and fan system together for me and i'm just waiting for him to have a chance to come down and put it in which should hopefully give the cooling system a bit more pasty. currently running a bit undercooled and I get about half an hour before everything just isn't getting cold enough fast enough! Thankyou so much for the tow offer! If I don't have any luck with the cooling system I'll certainly take you up on it. my number at the moment is 07875 697 599 if you need it at all. i think matt's got your number somewhere... sorry for the late reply, i don't get much internet access at the moment!

Thanks, Luke

Is 90 degrees not a reasonable running temperature for an engine? Thermostats in modern engines are commonly in the range 80-95 dgerees and running systems pressurised to 1 bar (15 psi) and proper coolant, they should run to well over 100 degrees without boiling or causing problems.

Chris

Job done... what a great weekend.

Set off from Anderton at about 5.30PM after dropping off a few bags of coal, and made my way over to Saltersford for just past 6PM after arringing to meet Luke at 6. He arrived just as I was mooring up and set off pretty much straight away on cross straps heading for Acton Bridge for the nights stop. Spent the night in the Hollybush in good company and sank a few pints.

A later start than usual on the Saturday morning but still early according to some at 5.30AM. Set off on cross straps and after clearing Preston Brook Tunnel, put Merganser on a 50ft line which was good fun. Stopped in Lymm for the night after arriving at just before 1PM.

We finished off the trip this morning, after setting off at about 6.20AM. Dropped Merganser off in Stretford before heading back to Sale for the night.

Passing through Sale.

towing_merganser_sale.jpg

Hi Steve,

I purposely put the boat on cross straps on the T&M for more control, and the fact that if I needed to stop quickly before a bridge or whatever, the tow which was practically touching my stern fenders would stop aswell and not overtake me!

But then the 50ft line because it gets the boat out of your wash and you can get that little bit extra speed out of it. Boating like this on the Bridgewater isn't a problem as you don't have to give way to boats in bridges and stuff because you can get two boats through at a time

Hi Steve,

I purposely put the boat on cross straps on the T&M for more control, and the fact that if I needed to stop quickly before a bridge or whatever, the tow which was practically touching my stern fenders would stop aswell and not overtake me!

But then the 50ft line because it gets the boat out of your wash and you can get that little bit extra speed out of it. Boating like this on the Bridgewater isn't a problem as you don't have to give way to boats in bridges and stuff because you can get two boats through at a time

Only asking because I towed a broken down boat from Preston Brook to Orchard Marina a couple of weeks ago on a short rope but found it difficult on the bends.

Steve

An observation re cross-straps; it's important to have them the right length.

Get them too short and the tow becomes too rigid, so the stern of the towed boat swings to the outside of the bend as the towing boat finishes cornering and starts along the straight

Get them too long and the tow becomes too flexible, so the stern of the towed boat cuts the corner and swings to the inside of the bend.

Get them right and the towed boat follows exactly the same course as the one doing the towing.

An observation re cross-straps; it's important to have them the right length.

Get them too short and the tow becomes too rigid, so the stern of the towed boat swings to the outside of the bend as the towing boat finishes cornering and starts along the straight

Get them too long and the tow becomes too flexible, so the stern of the towed boat cuts the corner and swings to the inside of the bend.

Get them right and the towed boat follows exactly the same course as the one doing the towing.

Sooo, what then is the right length? Is there a standard length? Or does it depend on the boats (length, beam?)?

Sooo, what then is the right length? Is there a standard length? Or does it depend on the boats (length, beam?)?

Sadly there's no one fixed answer, it depends on the length and weight of the boat being towed, and its weight distribution. I don't know about the beam, I've only ever towed narrow boats.

I usually start with the bow of the towed boat about 2-3ft behind my stern (the longer the boat, the closer I have it) and see how it goes on the first couple of bends, adjusting it if necessary by trial and error.

I towed a boat on cross straps last year for about four miles to Fenny Compton Marina on the South Oxford, no locks thank goodness.

The boat i was towing was going astern so at bends I had to position my boat so that I could move the stern of my boat to enable the towed boat to generally stay in the centre of the canal and to dodge other boats coming the other way.

Managed it okay and enjoyed the experience.

Martyn

Sadly there's no one fixed answer, it depends on the length and weight of the boat being towed, and its weight distribution. I don't know about the beam, I've only ever towed narrow boats.

I usually start with the bow of the towed boat about 2-3ft behind my stern (the longer the boat, the closer I have it) and see how it goes on the first couple of bends, adjusting it if necessary by trial and error.

Thanks Allan.

I had to leave a couple of foot as my "swans neck" on my tiller protrudes about 12 inches and was catching on the bow of the following boat.

Steve