Insurance for 1988 boat?

flyingpigs

Featured Posts

Hello,

We are looking for insurance (fully comp) for a 1988 NB 58ft.

Had a look online at all the usual suspects (towergate, GJW etc) and they don't insure boats over 20 years old

We have a recent hull survey completed with no problems. The boats value is approx £30,000

Does anyone know of any insurers which insure boats over 20 years old which have recent hull surveys?

Many Thanks,

You could try Collidge & Partners in Kent, or Navigators & General who are connected with them.

Oh, and welcome to the site by the way!

I second that. Our 1989 built boat is insured through Collidge & Partners and has been since we bought it 8/9 years ago.

Hello,

Had a look online at all the usual suspects (towergate, GJW etc) and they don't insure boats over 20 years old

We have a recent hull survey completed with no problems. The boats value is approx £30,000

Does anyone know of any insurers which insure boats over 20 years old which have recent hull surveys?

Many Thanks,

I have insured my boat through Towergate Mardon. Listed as 100 years old. Needed a serious survey though, and all remidial work done before insurance commenced.

Hello,

Many Thanks,

craftinsure.com. No survey required until 30 years old. Not had to claim from them.

N

Hello,

Many Thanks,

They do, or at least Towergate Mardon do, but ring them up rather than rely on the website, as the website only offers the bog-standard insurance package..

BTW, for those cynical about GRP, for our Viking 23 GRP boat the need for an out of the water survey kicks in at 40 years...

Yes, Craftinsure were great for us (1980 boat). No problem at all. Did it by phone instead of over the web because we wanted extra contents cover (you get 3% of the value insured automatically). E-mailed the docs through very quickly.

Because ours is 30 years old they wanted a hull survey and any recommendations attended to, but we didn't have to send them a copy - we just have to have it. Blissfully easy for a bureaucratic incompetent such as myself.

As our boat is 19 years old (with a four year old survey stating there has been no loss to the hull at all) im interested in this topic also. Currently the insurance is arranged via a broker by my parents and is at reasonable price as far as i understand. Although they did ask for another full out-of-water survey this year (four years from the previous) and took a lot of persuading and a letter from the surveyor to convince them that it really was needed.

Daniel

Hello,

Many Thanks,

We have an 1898 boat insured by Towergate

GJW do, my Yot is nearly 40 years old and is insured with GJW I do have to have a full survey every 5 years but that is all they request.

Mind you I used the phone and not the interweb for a quote.