Waterways Apologising for Canals being used !!!

bargeeboy

Featured Posts

I have just received this e-mail from waterways

I am lost for words !

[/b]Coventry Canal

Wednesday 1 September 2010 - Tuesday 7 September 2010

Due to the Shackerstone Festival taking place on 4 & 5 September there is likely to be significant boat traffice using the canal and the Atherstone Lock Flight. Please proceed with caution.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Enquiries: 01827 252000 01827 252000 during office hours[/b]

Especially with the proceed with caution !!

I have just received this e-mail from waterways

I am lost for words !

[/b]Coventry Canal

Wednesday 1 September 2010 - Tuesday 7 September 2010

Due to the Shackerstone Festival taking place on 4 & 5 September there is likely to be significant boat traffice using the canal and the Atherstone Lock Flight. Please proceed with caution.

British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Enquiries: 01827 252000 01827 252000 during office hours[/b]

Especially with the proceed with caution !!

I am convnced this message is aimed at holiday boaters, who are attempting to do a ring in 1 or 2 weeks exactly, and may therefore not understand the need to slow down when approaching other boats, especially those moored.

No, I am being unfair. We have just returned from a 4 day break on Lily Maud, and most narrow boats with hirers on did pass us when moored at a reasonable speed. The worst was an "old working boat" or copy thereof which charged past making me spill the tea I was pouring at the time and leaving a wake to be admired by sea planes wanted that bit extra to help lift off. Also a canoe paddled past quite fast also leaving an unexpected large wake!

I am convnced this message is aimed at holiday boaters, who are attempting to do a ring in 1 or 2 weeks exactly, and may therefore not understand the need to slow down when approaching other boats, especially those moored.

No, I am being unfair. We have just returned from a 4 day break on Lily Maud, and most narrow boats with hirers on did pass us when moored at a reasonable speed. The worst was an "old working boat" or copy thereof which charged past making me spill the tea I was pouring at the time and leaving a wake to be admired by sea planes wanted that bit extra to help lift off. Also a canoe paddled past quite fast also leaving an unexpected large wake!

A canoe actually leaves a very large wake, quite out of proportion to its size. Such is life.

Due to the Shackerstone Festival taking place on 4 & 5 September there is likely to be significant boat traffice using the canal and the Atherstone Lock Flight. Please proceed with caution. British Waterways apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

That is rather grim isnt it!

I am convnced this message is aimed at holiday boaters, who are attempting to do a ring in 1 or 2 weeks exactly...

Maybe some of this, but you would have through the local hire bases could have told them, rather than a global announcement that sometimes there are more boats on the canal that at other times!

I don't see it as being aimed at any one in particular, nor do I see it as BW apologising for the canal being used for boating .... I read it as BW notifying anyone wishing to cruise through the area that it may be a bit congested, and saying sorry in advance for any inconvenience it may cause.

I don't see it as being aimed at any one in particular, nor do I see it as BW apologising for the canal being used for boating .... I read it as BW notifying anyone wishing to cruise through the area that it may be a bit congested, and saying sorry in advance for any inconvenience it may cause.

But why should they apologise for it? It's not of their doing.

Just a guess .... presumably they feel it's polite to do so as they are responsible for maintaining navigation but have nonetheless given some form of approval for the event to go ahead which they anticipate will adversely affect through traffic ?

Yeah!

Honestly, I dont think its a big deal, but at the same time I think its another example of careless publishing.

Nothing wrong with posting on the stoppages lists if they want to as a head up, but phrasing it as an apology is just asking for trouble.

Daniel