Semi Trad Shell

mark99

Featured Posts

After long consideration we prefer a semi trad shell.

Trouble is, this eliminates some shell builders we like whom only do trads...... including eliminating our number one choice (was Norton Canes) plus the other high end, long waiting list guys.

So whom of the quality/premuim shell builders will do semi trads?

I've looked at Tyler Wilson, XRD and Stoke on Trent and they seem to do an aesthetic shell but are there any more worthy of consideration?

TIA

Mark

So whom of the quality/premuim shell builders will do semi trads?

This I suspect depends on your definition of quality/premium.

Our Semi-trad is made by Colecraft, unfortunately some scoff at these as being a bit Ford/Vauxhall, but the fact is Ford and Vauxhall do make quality vehicles.

I fear much of this is determined as much by 'Canal Boat Shell builder Snobbery' as it is by fact...

Our Semi-trad is made by Colecraft, unfortunately some scoff at these as being a bit Ford/Vauxhall, but the fact is Ford and Vauxhall do make quality vehicles.

I fear much of this is determined as much by 'Canal Boat Shell builder Snobbery' as it is by fact...

I agree. Who in their right mind would want a BMW? :lol::lol:

I agree. Who in their right mind would want a BMW? :lol::lol:

Well as I'm guessing you already know I own one, and of course BMW make quality vehicles too, but for some strange reason they seem to cost more, is the increased cost justified, possibly not.

Skoda now make superb quality vehicles as testified by numerous JD Power surveys,

I would trade my 3 series BMW for an Octavia VRs tomorrow. They cost a lot less but perhaps the image is not as strong, and to my mind, and it's only an opinion, the same theme and principal carries through to canal boat shell builder too.

Disagree that Colecfaft shells are Ford/Vauxhall. Suggest they are more Jaguar/Landrover Range Rover. They do the job they are intended to and are not over priced for the end product.

FYI, have a custom built and self designed Colecraft semi trad boat that at the time came in on time and on budget. Colecraft are not cheap budget builders and have been around for along time with an excellent reputation, unlike some other shell builders. We have a well crafted boat, the shell was commissioned asa shell only, and is one of the best performing boats I have steered. Seen lots of rubbish shells over the years; would get them to build another shell in the future. They are great people to work with as a client/purchaser.

Have always found that those who know them respect them. Acknowledged that ther are some other shell builders in the the high end Mercedes/Rolls Royce bracket that are also well respected.

Well as I'm guessing you already know I own one, and of course BMW make quality vehicles too, but for some strange reason they seem to cost more, is the increased cost justified, possibly not.

Skoda now make superb quality vehicles as testified by numerous JD Power surveys,

I would trade my 3 series BMW for an Octavia VRs tomorrow. They cost a lot less but perhaps the image is not as strong, and to my mind, and it's only an opinion, the same theme and principal carries through to canal boat shell builder too.

Yes, of course, just being mischievous (pointing out that you appeared to support the argument from both directions) :lol: Agree about Skoda. Friend of mine has an estate version and goes like the proverbial s.o.a. shovel.

But getting back to boats.... mine's a Pinder shell and probably a ford fiesta in your analogy but very, very solid.

we bought a project boat the hull survey came back as being a 4mm wall after 31 years with no patches or re plating guess what.....COLECRAFT!! I have replated her myself now as i am a structural engineer but i reckon she still had another 10 years of life before she needed re-plating

Good luck with your search for the quality builder my advice though colecraft new or used.

Mel Davis will make whatever you want, but I am biased .

Great never knew that I assumed just Woolwich Trader trads and tugs - I really like the photo's I've seen of his work.

Colecraft - thanks will check em out.

I know Reeves are quite good but I dislike their signiture shell. Orion seems nice too.

Any more?

PS drive a 5 series and love it - best car I've owned - ugly but great!

Mark

After long consideration we prefer a semi trad shell.

I've looked at Tyler Wilson, XRD and Stoke on Trent and they seem to do an aesthetic shell but are there any more worthy of consideration?

A contradiction here, surely ?

(Sorry - couldn't resist! :lol: )

On the serious side, shouldn't you be a bit suspicious of a builder who won't do a semi-trad? If that's what you want, why not? Surely he's either being snobby and refusing, or doing something he's not used to is beyond him. Either way I wouldn't touch with that thing on my roof. What else would he object to? "You can't have a walk through bathroom, it's agin me principles..."

A contradiction here, surely ?

(Sorry - couldn't resist! :lol: )

Lol It's hard this form over function balance, and I really do like Trad lines.

However I cannot resolve the stooping down in a back cabin and engine room, the fact we have two nosey dogs whom like to be out t' back (and I love them out there) and I don't really think it's too nice having the travels partner(s) balancing on the sides or sitting on the roof for long periods.

Mark

Lol It's hard this form over function balance, and I really do like Trad lines.

However I cannot resolve the stooping down in a back cabin and engine room, the fact we have two nosey dogs whom like to be out t' back (and I love them out there) and I don't really think it's too nice having the travels partner(s) balancing on the sides or sitting on the roof for long periods.

Mark

This Boat is on Brokerage at our Marina

http://www.merciabrokerage.co.uk/stock_det....asp?bro_no=559

Norton Canes did do a Semi Trad could be worth giving them a call.

Ian

On the serious side, shouldn't you be a bit suspicious of a builder who won't do a semi-trad? If that's what you want, why not? Surely he's either being snobby and refusing, or doing something he's not used to is beyond him. Either way I wouldn't touch with that thing on my roof. What else would he object to? "You can't have a walk through bathroom, it's agin me principles..."

Dunno, perhaps it's better for him to say "I've got a full order book, I don't like making semi-trads (for religious reasons) and know I always botch them 'cos I hate them so much, you'd be better off with another builder". I'd rather that than "certainly sir, anything you want sir, of course (thinks - this customer's a pillock, anything goes)"

Richard

Dunno, perhaps it's better for him to say "I've got a full order book, I don't like making semi-trads (for religious reasons) and know I always botch them 'cos I hate them so much, you'd be better off with another builder". I'd rather that than "certainly sir, anything you want sir, of course (thinks - this customer's a pillock, anything goes)"

Richard

Which amounts to the same thing - avoid. I was just pointing out that such fastidiousness is a dead giveaway for crossing off your list. How you whittle the rest down is up to you.

Which amounts to the same thing - avoid. I was just pointing out that such fastidiousness is a dead giveaway for crossing off your list. How you whittle the rest down is up to you.

That's a bit confusing. I'd cross someone off the list if I didn't want to choose them. A builder saying "I don't build the type of boat you want" is a bit different.

Or are you saying I should cross a builder off because he won't build a hull I don't want?? Tricky that, as there are not many narrowboat builders making round-chine ocean going yachts

Richard

Interesting comment. Warble Narrowboats (before Lee's bought them and buggered them up) were considered up there with the cream of boatbuilders. Most of them were on Colecraft shells :lol:

We're looking at getting a semi trad, and it's looking like Colecraft or Reeves.

Clearly semi-trads are not a purist's boat - but if you're tall, have dogs, like talking when steering - then I think they're great.

Having said that, I've never spent any time onboard a trad so my judgement could be skewed here.

Have you considered Paul Widdowson Boats Link Here - Pauls price to us was not only very competitive but the quality and finish of his boats are superb. Having bought and sailed in his craft we are more than happy to recommend.

:lol:

Sailed ?

Christ were do you put the mast ? :lol:

we bought a project boat the hull survey came back as being a 4mm wall after 31 years with no patches or re plating guess what.....COLECRAFT!! I have replated her myself now as i am a structural engineer but i reckon she still had another 10 years of life before she needed re-plating

Good luck with your search for the quality builder my advice though colecraft new or used.

We bought a 1980, unrecognised builder (Cathedral Cruisers), 6mm originally and 5mm at worst now. We expect her to see us another 30 years into retirement without ever needing replating ...

She ain't pretty though. Colecraft's are pretty. I'll give you that.