Contemplated only, trip to Ely.

pete.i

Featured Posts

Hello all.

I am retiring tomorrow, I have got my narrowboat. I have been thinking about the trips that I might be doing after my retirement. My daughter lives in Ely and, as I know there is an Ely Canal, I thought that this might be a worthwhile trip. So I put the idea into CanalPlanAC.

Now, the route is fine (well almost) until I get to the end of the river Witham which actually empties into the wash. I followed the route using Google earth and, as the next river that I have to be on is the Great Ouse, I cannot for the life of me see how to get from one river to the other without negotiating the Wash. The Wash (as far as I am concerned anyway) is the sea.

So am I missing something here or would I have to negotiate that expanse of sea water to get to Ely.

Cheers

Pete

As Phylis said, the route to use is down the Nene from Northampton to Peterborough, across the Middle Level to Salter's Lode, half a mile on the tidal great Ouse, and then through Denver sluice onto the Ely Ouse. The tidal hop is no problem (nothing like the wash) and the Ely Ouse is a great place to visit. Don't forget to explore the Wissey, Lark and Little Ouse whilst you're there.

MP.

Thanks all for the replies.

I did put the route into CanalPlanAC, Mat, and the route that came up with was the one from the Withan then down the Great Ouse but as I said I probably missed something when I tried to follow the route on Google Earth.

I'm not averse to traversing the Wash, just not yet. My boat is Leo's old one called Keb and I know that Leo did a lot of tidal stuff when he had the boat (I've got dozens and dozens of brass plaques that are in serious need of a clean that proves that) so I know that the boat is up to it. I do not have that experience yet. (I just have to say that Leo did clean the brasses but they haven't been done since he sold the boat and I aquired it.)

When I do finally do the trip I will starting from Selby and coming out on to the river Aire. Canal Plan takes me that way but it takes me down to Boston and then the wash. Past, I think, your part of the world Phylis. I shall call on you if I can find Naughty Cal and say hello. I have to say that Phylis's, MP's and Keeping Up's suggestions look more promising for me. I shall have a look at that route. My experience with Canal Plan is not good as I have only just started to use it. That's my fault not Canal Plan.

Thanks anyway for all the suggestions I shall have another look .

Cheers

Pete

Edited by pete.i

It isnt unheard of for narrowboats to use the wash as the route onto the Fens, but you should really make sure both you and the boat are up to it. See the TNC website for details of their adventures out on the wash.

If you do decide to pass this way, of course call in if we are around.

Hi Pete,

Have a good retirement, not sure about crossing the Wash!, tidal work the boat has done has been on the Trent and the Thames - not you actual open water!.

Really the only way to reach Ely for you by boat is up the Trent/GU (Leicester), GU down to Gayton and down the River Nene, across the Fens to Ely.

A nice run.

Interestingly the boat should know it's way round, it spent it's early days based at Sawley, then moved down to the Cowroast for 18 years before going up to Ripon for 4 years before you bought it.

I am impressed with all the work you have done to 'KEB'.

Once again, have a good retirement - 'the hours are great but the money is lousey' - (only joking).

Mike.

PS - My wife is still 'fed up' that I sold the boat in 2005!.

Edited by LEO

On the basis that you are retired, and therefore time is not a major constraint, instead of going along the Witham, go up the Trent, then the Soar, through the Leicester section and along the Grand Union to Northampton, then down the Nene and through the Middle Level.

You set something in Canal Plan that is allowing use of the Wash, Have a look in options and unset it

Thanks Leo both for the route and the Keb comments. Thanks, as well, Magpie Patrick.

I originally used Canal Plan with it's default settings but I have set the seaways preference to never and it still takes me via the Wash. As I have said it is me not being able to use the planner correctly rather than Canal Plan. I will get my head around it, eventually, and I will admit that, at least, that route will be an adventureous one. Just not for me yet.

Cheers

Pete

If you are in no rush and have no deadline to get to Ely, i wouldnt discount some detours along the way, say the Chesterfield Canal and the Fossdyke and Witham. You will be surpised at some of the nice places you can find along the way on these little used waters. You could even be a little adventurous and go out onto the Tidal Witham through Boston and onto the Black Sluice.

He he Thanks for that Phylis.

I know all about the lost routes and the wonderful scenery. Selby Canal is one of them. It needs a canal society here to make the most of our wonderful canal. I have to say though when I first put the Ely route into canal Plan and it mentioned the Boston Grand SLUICE I got worried. Being a land lubber the word sluice sent my boating imagination through the roof. I had visions of masses of running water and massive bubbling stuff and whirpools and well you get the picture.

I've had a couple of tinnies tonight and a modecom of Barcardi at my retirement do so I will sign off for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Cheers

Pete