Breasting up..???

Evo

Featured Posts

I've been on the receiving end of a lot of prejudice over the years through sporting a beard, including some of those I suggested above, as well as when steering a hire boat or worse, the NBT pair.

A lot of people comment when they've known me for half an hour, hey, you're quite normal.....

Aye up mate who are these people who say your normal :lol::lol:

That's okay, Phylis will still be partying.

You beat me too it :lol:

We have invited all sorts of people to raft up and have again been invited to raft up by all sorts of people even ones with children. We are not picky about our neighbours, we tell them our plans from the start so there are no nasty suprises.

Shock horror we even had the sister around with her four kids (all under the age of six, the youngest being six weeks!!) and had friends raft up. The kids loved it clambering all over two boats.

Great, I love jelly and ice cream

Wrong sort of party

Have people forgotten the idea of boating now, Its leisure time therefore plesurable.This disscusion is flawed if you dont want to go in with other boats dont,turn round and go later.Most lock keepers are quite amicable and work with boaters,so why get in a tiz about it.Ihave never had a boat go through my lock saying they wont moor here or even questioned any decision made on common sence.

Cassettes are also better than pump out :lol:

And enjoy gossiping about fellow boaters whilst helping their friends lock through?

You beat me too it :lol:

We have invited all sorts of people to raft up and have again been invited to raft up by all sorts of people even ones with children. We are not picky about our neighbours, we tell them our plans from the start so there are no nasty suprises.

Shock horror we even had the sister around with her four kids (all under the age of six, the youngest being six weeks!!) and had friends raft up. The kids loved it clambering all over two boats.

Wrong sort of party

And enjoy gossiping about fellow boaters whilst helping their friends lock through?

oops wrong button

No, I think I got the party just right

oops wrong button

No, I think I got the party just right

No, im certain you didnt.

No mention of large amounts Bud, Rum & Coke, Skittles Vodka, BBQ, beer flags, music,

You did mention rafting up though.............suppose thats a start, we may win you around just yet.

Apparently there is no need. Just take Severn Lockie with you and you will be fine. Moor wherever he tells you to.

To those who obey lockies every wish, what would you do if he told you to moor on the weir?

Phylis having again lost a discussion you go to the ridiculous having stated that a lock keeper can not tell you what to do and being proved wrong (as usual) you then assume a lock keeper would give a stupid instruction. I suggest you try learning how to eat some humble pie. You are just not mature enough to admit when you are wrong, but then I guess that would be a lot of admitting if the way you perform on here is anything to go by.

Hang on though, there are some on here who reckon you are within your rights to not allow someone to raft up to you. Whos authority is greater, the boat owner or the lock keeper?

Still being ridiculous breasting up on a mooring is completely different to breasting up in a lock.

Which is one reason (or several in your case) that I would not want anyone with such anti social habits to breast up to me

Cant wait until Cal makes it onto the Severn...........

Phylis having again lost a discussion you go to the ridiculous having stated that a lock keeper can not tell you what to do and being proved wrong (as usual) you then assume a lock keeper would give a stupid instruction. I suggest you try learning how to eat some humble pie. You are just not mature enough to admit when you are wrong, but then I guess that would be a lot of admitting if the way you perform on here is anything to go by.

It was not a ridiculous statement. As i said to all those who insist lockie has the final word, what would you do if he suggested such a foolish manouvre. After all he has the final word according to you and a handful of others.

Still being ridiculous breasting up on a mooring is completely different to breasting up in a lock.

Ah, make your mind up now. A minute ago we where on the lock landing.

Hang on though, there are some on here who reckon you are within your rights to not allow someone to raft up to you. Whos authority is greater, the boat owner or the lock keeper?

While chugging up and down a canal then probably the boat owner's. However, if you want to go through a lock that is manned by a lock keeper then I'd suggest that he may well have an advantage over the boat owner...do as you are told or turn around and feck off!

Does this actually happen or do you feel agrieved about any particular instance/experience. Maybe he locked others through because you pointed out that your authority is greater than his!

Cant wait until Cal makes it onto the Severn...........

It was not a ridiculous statement. As i said to all those who insist lockie has the final word, what would you do if he suggested such a foolish manouvre. After all he has the final word according to you and a handful of others.

According to the regulations!!!!!! Sugest you might read them if you plan to come down the Severn

While chugging up and down a canal then probably the boat owner's. However, if you want to go through a lock that is manned by a lock keeper then I'd suggest that he may well have an advantage over the boat owner...do as you are told or turn around and feck off!

The lockie is only responsible for your safe passage through the lock. You as the steerer or master of the vessel are responsible for its safe and proper handling and also ensuring that no damage is caused to other craft. If lockie suggests that you moor against a GRP boat to await the passage through the lock it is still your responsibility to safely moor alongside. You will be responsible for any damages.

No lockie worth his salt is going to insist that a steel boat moors alongside a GRP boat already moored, they just dont do it. The more likely secenario is that one boat or the other will hang around mid channel and wait for the lock.

What are you saying phylis, that the very knowledgable and competent BW staff would be so ridiculous as to tell someone to moor on a weir.When you have been made to look silly dont make the matter worse by name calling, back pedalling and resorting to twaddle

Does this actually happen or do you feel agrieved about any particular instance/experience. Maybe he locked others through because you pointed out that your authority is greater than his!

Ask our resident lock keeper.

I wasnt present at the event, he met a close friend of ours and aided his passage through an unmanned lock, then proceeded to start gossiping about me. He didnt realise, i suspect, that it would be reported back word for word about 3 hours later.

If you are driving along a road and get pulled over by a traffic policeman then you'll admit that he has the "final word". However, in this position of responsibility it is encumbent upon him to remain responsible and should not "suggest foolish manoeuvres". In the same way it is encumbent upon a lock keeper to get boaters through his lock in a safe, efficient manner so he won't be telling you to "moor on the wier" will he?

Edited by Matthew Knowles

This thread really does just about seem to have beaten all records on re-opening an old much argued topic, and going round in pointless circles to get absolutely nowhere new.

Possibly what some contributors can't get their brain around is that some people take to the canals and rivers largely for their peace and quiet, and actually enjoy long periods of solitude.

Others clearly see it as the potential for one massive great social event.

Faced with these extremes, is it likely you are going to reach agreement on this point.

The fact that someone belongs to either group doesn't mean they should be vilified, but I also think it unreasonable that because one group does not agree with the other that they should then attempt to force their wishes upon them.

What are you saying phylis, that the very knowledgable and competent BW staff would be so ridiculous as to tell someone to moor on a weir.When you have been made to look silly dont make the matter worse by name calling, back pedalling and resorting to twaddle

Phylis always resorts to name calling.