Breasting up..???

Evo

Featured Posts

So they should enjoy themselves at my expense I should have to put up with my view blocked listening to there TV and Music and having my boat rocked........ There are 2,000 miles of canal why should I share my 60ft of space?

See below

That is why I have a narrow boat can moor where I wish and don't want my nice big windows blocked by anything, especially a big lump of plastic

So go and moor somewhere else and let those who cant have a go at mooring on a spot they can actually get theri boat against.

Exactly.

In some places there is a limited amount of mooring space, and first come first served seems as fair as we can make it.

So what would you do in the example i gave?

Have them drive up and down and wait for a free mooring?

Line up in an orderly queue?

In your perfect world your theory may work, however the world isnt that perfect and sometimes we have to accept that.

For example there are within our marina almost 450 boats. The provision of visitor mooring in the area is such that if even a small amount of these boats escape for the weekend there just isnt room for them all. Pulling into the bank and banging the pins in isnt an option as most of these boats are too deep drafted to get anywhere near the edge.

What would you have them do? Drive up and down or form an orderly queue for the next avaliable space, or like most people, do allow them alongside and make some new friends in the process. It isnt difficult, it neednt cause any infingement on the inside boats privacy and if you really want to you can suggest they go on the inside and you switch places. We have had boats raft to us whilst we have been in the cabin watching TV and have not even known they have landed until have knocked or stepped on the back, it does however help that we have port lights instead of bloody great big caravan windows.

Well, they could buy boats that are going to be able to get to the edge.

And in answer to the other point that we could switch and go on the outside;

We have two dogs, and those dogs go for a walk at 5am. I don't want to be farting about getting two dogs to cross somebody elses boat at 5am (to say nothing of the fact that if we have been moored up for a couple of hours, I don't want to be going out moving around on the mooring.

Exactly.

In some places there is a limited amount of mooring space, and first come first served seems as fair as we can make it.

I am by nature a late starter when it comes to cruising but if I know I am going to a popular spot I leave early to arrive early. Yesterday I moved to Frampton on Severn and had been advised that the 14 day mooring can be popular so left at 8 am only a short cruise away so that I would be early for any boats moving off. I waited in the 48 hour moorings and then went and asked if anyone was moving 2 boats told me they would be moving shortly and I just moved in when they went, not sure think that is called planning (oh no getting more like my Dad everyday)

See below

So go and moor somewhere else and let those who cant have a go at mooring on a spot they can actually get theri boat against.

So I should moor somewhere else because people can't buy boats fit for purpose

So, I (sensibly) buy a boat that can moor in a greater variety of locations. You buy one that can only moor in certain locations.

That means that I should not moor at some of the locations that my boat is capable of mooring at, simply to accomodate those who didn't plan ahead and buy a sensible boat?

Nope.

I am by nature a late starter when it comes to cruising but if I know I am going to a popular spot I leave early to arrive early. Yesterday I moved to Frampton on Severn and had been advised that the 14 day mooring can be popular so left at 8 am only a short cruise away so that I would be early for any boats moving off. I waited in the 48 hour moorings and then went and asked if anyone was moving 2 boats told me they would be moving shortly and I just moved in when they went, not sure think that is called planning (oh no getting more like my Dad everyday)

So I should moor somewhere else because people can't buy boats fit for purpose

Who is to say their boat isnt fit for purpose?

Are narrowboats not fit for purpose when they cant get to the edge on navigations such as the L&L?

You can plan all you like, but sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and it will be times like these that you would wish you hadnt been such a prick about breasting up.

So, I (sensibly) buy a boat that can moor in a greater variety of locations. You buy one that can only moor in certain locations.

That means that I should not moor at some of the locations that my boat is capable of mooring at, simply to accomodate those who didn't plan ahead and buy a sensible boat?

Nope.

Who is to say what is a sensible choice of boat? Not everyone is the same. For the cruising that we do and have planned would it be sensible to buy a narrowboat. I think not.

Sometimes a little give and take is all that is needed.

Maybe we should ban the sale of narrowboats, after all they use far more mooring space than cruisers.

Are narrowboats not fit for purpose when they cant get to the edge on navigations such as the L&L?

You can plan all you like, but sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, and it will be times like these that you would wish you hadnt been such a prick about breasting up.

Narrowboats are capable of using moorings even if they can't get to the edge.

Yes, sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. In some cases, it is a genuinely unforseeable eventuality, in others, it is simply a case of not allowing any margin for error in your plans.

Oddly enough, despite the fact that John and I disagree on many things, I am confident that he plans appropriately, and if he knocked on the boat to say "it's all gone tits up, I'm in a fix, can I breast up", it will be a genuine request.

OTOH, your agressive attitude surrounding the issue, and refusal to accept that it is reasonable for whoever gets there first to enjoy the mooring makes me think that if you rocked up with the same story, I would be less inclined to accept it.

Or to put it another way;

It isn't John who is being a prick here.

Firstly I find your use of certain words reflects on your complete inability to discuss a point. In three years CCing have never found the need to breast up. Never had any problem mooring on L&L.

Holy crap...!!! 10 years later - and after lots of encounters with some really nice folk and only one with a weirdo - I look at it completely differently.

I dont give a sh*t about "I set off early so I could get here first and get the best spot"...or.."You cant organise your life properly"...WTF is that. !!!!

Why do people think that for the sake of arriving 10mins earlier they have the right to be there and you dont. "I dont like my boat being rocked"...."I like to see out my windows"..."You didn't buy the right boat"..."I dont want a piece of plastic in my window". "I cant be arsed to walk my dogs across the back of someones boat"..unbelievable. In other words "I'm a right miserable b*stard and I wish you'd all just go away".

• Greenie 1

As the rights and wrongs of breasting up have been done to death here and elsewhere, and as this is in the 'Boat Handling' section, perhaps we could have some info about the best way to achieve it, once permission has been given?

Is it OK to breast a steel narrowboat on the outside of a tupperware? Wouldn't there be a risk of damage if, say, something went past a little too quickly?

So, if I were to pull up to a tupperware and ask to breast up would they say "OK, just wait a sec while I move so that you can get on the inside" or would they say "b*gger off and find somewhere more suitable"?

Holy crap...!!! 10 years later - and after lots of encounters with some really nice folk and only one with a weirdo - I look at it completely differently.

I dont give a sh*t about "I set off early so I could get here first and get the best spot"...or.."You cant organise your life properly"...WTF is that. !!!!

Why do people think that for the sake of arriving 10mins earlier they have the right to be there and you dont. "I dont like my boat being rocked"...."I like to see out my windows"..."You didn't buy the right boat"..."I dont want a piece of plastic in my window". "I cant be arsed to walk my dogs across the back of someones boat"..unbelievable. In other words "I'm a right miserable b*stard and I wish you'd all just go away".

I guess you don't agree with me if I read your post correctly....

Carefully approach their boat with yours ensuring you have adequate fenders down to protect the inside boat, attach lines to suitable anchoring points on both boats, ensuring there is a way of the occupants of the outside boat getting off, and then send a bow and stern rope from the outside boat to the bank to take the strain off of the inside boats lines. Some spring lines between the boats will help stop any surging when boats pass.

Depending on the boats and the amounts of windows, you could close the curtains on the shared side of the boats if necessary. It is seen as courtious to not clamber across the rear of the inside boat but to go over the bow, however depending on the boats in question this can be difficult to achieve so with the permission of the inside boat, getting off across the stern is acceptable.

Is it OK to breast a steel narrowboat on the outside of a tupperware? Wouldn't there be a risk of damage if, say, something went past a little too quickly?

So, if I were to pull up to a tupperware and ask to breast up would they say "OK, just wait a sec while I move so that you can get on the inside" or would they say "b*gger off and find somewhere more suitable"?

We have had a small narrowboat on the outside of Cal for a short while outside the pub and no damage was caused. Ideally if the boats where staying longer the cruiser would let the narrowboat on the inside if the space is big enough and then raft up to them.

We have had a small narrowboat on the outside of Cal for a short while outside the pub and no damage was caused. Ideally if the boats where staying longer the cruiser would let the narrowboat on the inside if the space is big enough and then raft up to them.

I guess, if the narrowboat approached quickly enough then there'd be no need to breast up. :lol:

I guess, if the narrowboat approached quickly enough then there'd be no need to breast up. :lol:

No but there would be one hell of an insurance claim.

ETA: Can narrowboats moor up with enough pace to hole a cuiser. They always seem to be doing about 0.5mph when they manouvre.

Edited by Phylis

How could you reach such an opinion :lol: maisie is a right fun person a real bundle of joy :lol:

Problem is, that I would have to breast up with at least two tupperware boats (69' long). Would make for an interesting array of mooring lines.. :lol:

Aren't tupperware boats usually much higher in the water than tubes? Might need a ladder, rather than a gangplank....

:lol:

ETA: Can narrowboats moor up with enough pace to hole a cuiser. They always seem to be doing about 0.5mph when they manouvre.

I would have thought so, even at 3 or 4mph a 14 ton boat would have reasonable momentum but if you're unsure then we could always give it a go? :lol:

If the pirate crew have had enough to drink, they probably could...

Problem is, that I would have to breast up with at least two tupperware boats (69' long). Would make for an interesting array of mooring lines.. :lol:

Aren't tupperware boats usually much higher in the water than tubes? Might need a ladder, rather than a gangplank....

You will find that if you talk to people on moored boats rather than making assumptions they will often talk back.

In your case with a 69ft boat it would make sense to be on the inside. If the boat owners are around ask if they would mind letting you in and then they can moor alongside you. If not mooralongside them if they allow, just be careful not to give the boats too much of a squeeze. With the lines set correctly the boats will all move together and no damage will be caused.

As for the height issue, it depends on the boats in question they are all different. More modern cruisers tend to have a lower platform to make getting on and off that bit easier. Failing that you climb onto the roof of your boat and then over their bow in the correct fashion.

I would have thought so, even at 3 or 4mph a 14 ton boat would have reasonable momentum but if you're unsure then we could always give it a go? :lol:

As i siad before we have had a small narrowboat alongside already. It caused no damage at all and we have since made good friends with the owners, another couple who we dont bother to ask if we may moor alongside as we already know the answer will be yes.

As the rights and wrongs of breasting up have been done to death here and elsewhere, and as this is in the 'Boat Handling' section, perhaps we could have some info about the best way to achieve it, once permission has been given?

Come on........

Its easy........ A rope at the front and a rope at the back. :lol:

How could you reach such an opinion maisie is a right fun person a real bundle of joy

I've reached no opinions on anyone. Alot of stuff is said on forums but when it comes down to it common sense usually prevails...someone has to be a real ar*ehole to refuse just for the sake of it, and those types are well outnumbered. I mean its not like its for life, a year, a month, a week, or even a day, bloody hell its normally only overnight. On the other hand you have to be a real dick to do it when its not necessary.

I was just enquiring what the general concensus was on it now. I didn't realise it had been done to death before, but then again what hasn't. This mainly because we are doing rivers again - where it seems its still an OK thing to do.

Edited by Evo
  • Greenie 1

I've reached no opinions on anyone. Alot of stuff is said on forums but when it comes down to it common sense usually prevails...someone has to be a real ar*ehole to refuse just for the sake of it, and those types are well outnumbered. I mean its not like its for life a year a month a week or even a day, bloody hell its its normally only overnight. Someone has to be a real dick to do it when its not necessary either.

I was just enquiring what the general concensus was on it now. I didn't realise it had been done to death before, but then again what hasn't. This mainly because we are doing rivers again - where it seems its still an OK thing to do.

It seems almost a requirement at Honeystreet.

Can narrowboats moor up with enough pace to hole a cuiser. They always seem to be doing about 0.5mph when they manouvre.

Another volunteer here willing to risk damage to my narrow boat in the interests of answering a good scientific question!

Simply sign this waiver form, and we'll give it a go!.......