Breasting up..???

Evo

Featured Posts

About 10 years ago we did the river Avon. As we cruised along I started to worry about moorings, mainly because there just didn't seem to be any. On arriving at Pershore we noticed alot of moored boats along the edge of a park, there were no free spaces, so we breasted up next to one. There was nobody at home when we tied up to their boat. I was apprehensive about doing this but old Vic (father-in-law)just hopped on the blokes boat and tied us up. "Narrgh, he wont mind, this is what you do". "OK, but lets see what the other guy says when he comes back".

The other bloke and his missus come back and dont bat an eyelid. They dont seem to even notice. I couldn't help it, I had to say something.

"Errh.. Hello..??, are you guys OK with this..?",

"OK with what..?" He says , not looking up from his paper

"Us tying up to you"

Totally deadpan and without looking at me...he goes

"No snoring, farting, or sh*gging and you will be OK".

I didn't know what to say...I kind of laughed and slunk away...it was boiling hot, I'd had a few beers, I'd had a poke about with the pole checking depth, next minute I was in and as soon as the kids heard the splash they couldn't get in quick enough.

Out the blue this voice bellowed out

"And no bl**dy swimming...!"

This guy and his missus were brilliant and we ended up barbying and boozing with them all night.

My question is though..is it an unwritten rule that you can breast up, can you breast up regardless of what the person your breasting upto thinks. I dont see it much these days except at rallies etc.

We raft/breast up on a regular basis, it really doesnt matter to us and we openly invite others to raft up to us. It is part of meeting new people. There are a group of boats that we would raft upto should the owner not be present but only because we and they dont mind.

We have rafted to boats where the owner isnt presently aboard but we always make an effort to try and hunt them down. For instance when we rafted to a very pretty dutch barge on a busy pub mooring we went and found the owners in the bar who where only too happy for us to be there. They are a lovely couple and we have since enjoyed many drinks with them. If we did raft up though and the owners didnt approve we would move on straight away no questions asked.

Rafting is more common on some waterways than others and seems to be very uncommon on the canals. It is very common on river navigations where the option to bang the pins in just isnt there. It isnt uncommon for us to be rafted three or four abreast if we go out cruising as a larger group.

Rafting is more common on some waterways than others and seems to be very uncommon on the canals.

I noticed that...and getting more and more uncommon....It seems we all have to park in a line now with our own parking spaces, and if there isn't a space... tough...move on. I'm talking about wide bits, and bits near a village or something where you can end up having to moor miles away.

What with canal side long term moorers/permit holders and permanently parked cc'ers its nearly imposible to moor in some places. Can you breast up to a long term permit holder or someone with a pile of wood ,a scruffy collie, and scooter on the bank...?

GOBA (Great Ouse Boating Association) have an ongoing campaign to encourage breasting up (rafting), and last year issued me with a sticker "Welcome to moor alongside". However, while moored at St Ives I was told by a local boater (with a boat identical to mine) that almost all locals disapproved of this, and that it was "simply not done".

Mac

GOBA (Great Ouse Boating Association) have an ongoing campaign to encourage breasting up (rafting), and last year issued me with a sticker "Welcome to moor alongside". However, while moored at St Ives I was told by a local boater (with a boat identical to mine) that almost all locals disapproved of this, and that it was "simply not done".

Mac

Yes buy why do the locals dissaprove? Is it so that visitors cant "ruin" their favourite mooring spots :lol:

To say it isnt done, is just wrong. If you feel happy to allow others to moor alongside then that is your choice, not for some local to decide.

I have a couple of 'welcome moor alongside' stickers that I got from the EA a few years ago. I have them in my window. I don't mind people breasting up.

A couple of weekends ago I boated, on the Thames, to Eynsham for an over night stop. When I arrived at midday there was one spot and I slotted into it. When I returned 3 hours later there was a boat breasted up to me, but the other spots had been vacated. The guy asked if it was OK I just said yes as I was in a hurry to get back into the village, he did mutter something about the pump out but I didn't pay any attention. I returned again 4 hours later (by which time it was quite late) and the boat breasted up to me was still there, and we were the only two boats on this mooring. I was a little peeved. I had no reason to be because I had moor alongside stickers in my windows and they don't say 'if there isn't any other space'. It would have been nicer if he had moved my boat back and moored in front if he didn't want to be infront of the pump out (which didn't smell, but I realise it may have done to him).

In the morning his wife said 'isn't it beautiful' and I felt like saying 'I have no idea, but your boat looks good'.

If he had breasted up when there was no space and the other boats left it wouldnt be a problem.

I suppose it wasn't a problem, but I was a bit miffed, but then why should anyone think of anything other than themselves and their own view. It may not have occured to him that I might like to look out my window or have my side hatches open or anything like that.

Had I not returned at 10pm I may have suggested a boat shuffle, but I decided life was too short to bother.

I think breasting up is fine, especially as it can be a bit busy on some stretches, but I think it pays to be considerate.

Yes buy why do the locals dissaprove? Is it so that visitors cant "ruin" their favourite mooring spots :lol:

To say it isnt done, is just wrong. If you feel happy to allow others to moor alongside then that is your choice, not for some local to decide.

However it clearly demonstrates that what is 'the norm' in some areas is frowned upon in others. I've always been wary of generalising my boating experience for that reason. I've not been all over the system, and I don't know what the local mores and customs are in areas I've not visited.

There was a recent thread about leaving lock gates open or otherwise that equally demonstrated the same thing; what's right on one canal is wrong on another.

Tony

As with Phylis, breasting up was a normal way of life for us on the sea and rivers. It is a good way of meeting new people, some of whom have become lifelong friends. It can get quite difficult to cross the inner boat via the foredeck with cratch covers and the like though so maybe that's why we don't see it much on canals , or perhaps there are more selfish people inland than offshore! ..... yes I'm taking cover!!

The general rule when mooring up being amenable to having close neighbours, is to put fenders down on the outside. As most Nb's have fenders permanently down, they must be inviting others to moor alongside.......mustn't they?

No.

It is entirely correct to say that it isn't done by default and without permission from the boat being breasted to.

If the navigation authority is going round encouraging people to breast up without permission, then it is fair enough if people are irritated with them.

Personally, I would like BW and EA to distribute more of the "Welcome, moor alongside" signs. Boaters who are happy to be breasted up to can display them, the rest won't.

ah so you can get a sticker that says your Ok to breast up to. What Mayalld is saying is that unless a boat is displaying that sticker then it means - sod off dont tie up to me. Where do I get a sticker...??

ah so you can get a sticker that says your Ok to breast up to. What Mayalld is saying is that unless a boat is displaying that sticker then it means - sod off dont tie up to me. Where do I get a sticker...??

Environment Agency, if they still have any.

If all boaters were supplied with a sticker, then it could safely be assumed that a boat without a sticker doesn't welcome breasting up.

Not necessarily. We dont display stickers to say people can moor alongside, but are happy for others to do so. It depends on the area you are in. Most other cruisers owners where we are wont bother asking it is just an unwritten rule that it is the thing to do.

It would make sense for BW to issue stickers with every license renewal - that way everyone on the canals will have them inside a year.

That way, those who are happy to be breasted up to can display, those that don't, well, don't display them.

Not necessarily. We dont display stickers to say people can moor alongside, but are happy for others to do so. It depends on the area you are in. Most other cruisers owners where we are wont bother asking it is just an unwritten rule that it is the thing to do.

The trouble with such unwritten rules is that they are not rules.

Where do such unwritten rules leave the boater who doesn't want others to breast up to them?

If all boaters were supplied with a sticker, then it could safely be assumed that a boat without a sticker doesn't welcome breasting up.

Or doesnt like having stickers in their windows but will happliy breast up.

It would make sense for BW to issue stickers with every license renewal - that way everyone on the canals will have them inside a year.

That way, those who are happy to be breasted up to can display, those that don't, well, don't display them.

What if you dont like having stickers in your windows?

The trouble with such unwritten rules is that they are not rules.

Where do such unwritten rules leave the boater who doesn't want others to breast up to them?

Free to say so. In practice people only moor to those they know are happy to allow it. It pays to talk to people, you can find out a wealth of information.

As I have said before I am not happy for people to breast up to me unless they are really stuck, one of the reasons I have windows on my boat is that I like to look out (as bones said in her post) and I am certainly not going to put stickers on them. This one of the reasons I hate displaying my licence.

Or doesnt like having stickers in their windows but will happliy breast up.

What if you dont like having stickers in your windows?

BAN STICKERS

Free to say so. In practice people only moor to those they know are happy to allow it. It pays to talk to people, you can find out a wealth of information.

Yes in most cases wrong information going from some of your posts!!!!!

As I have said before I am not happy for people to breast up to me unless they are really stuck, one of the reasons I have windows on my boat is that I like to look out (as bones said in her post) and I am certainly not going to put stickers on them. This one of the reasons I hate displaying my licence.

Oh dear, we agree again!

Other than in a genuine emergency (arriving to find the spot you wanted to moor full is not an emergency), I don't want other boats breasted up to me.

This is for a couple of reasons;

• I like watching the scenery, rather than somebody elses kitchen
  • We tend to go to bed early, and people who breast up inevitably end up rolling in from the pub hours after we have gone to bed, and wake the dogs.
  • We like to set off at around 7:30 am. I don't want to wait for the other boater to get up, or to bugger about slipping out from the inside.

Stickers allow those who are unable to organise their lives to work out which boaters are going to prop up their lack of organisation, and avoids putting other boaters in the "do you mind if I smoke" scenario.

Oh dear, we agree again!

Other than in a genuine emergency (arriving to find the spot you wanted to moor full is not an emergency), I don't want other boats breasted up to me.

This is for a couple of reasons;

• I like watching the scenery, rather than somebody elses kitchen
  • We tend to go to bed early, and people who breast up inevitably end up rolling in from the pub hours after we have gone to bed, and wake the dogs.
  • We like to set off at around 7:30 am. I don't want to wait for the other boater to get up, or to bugger about slipping out from the inside.

Stickers allow those who are unable to organise their lives to work out which boaters are going to prop up their lack of organisation, and avoids putting other boaters in the "do you mind if I smoke" scenario.

What a load of tosh.

But dont worry Dave as long as you are happy, F*ck everybody else who may have the option of enjoying themselves.

What a load of tosh.

But dont worry Dave as long as you are happy, F*ck everybody else who may have the option of enjoying themselves.

Does a bit of venting help?

Now then, once you have calmed down, please explain which bit of it is tosh, and why.

What a load of tosh.

So they should enjoy themselves at my expense I should have to put up with my view blocked listening to there TV and Music and having my boat rocked........ There are 2,000 miles of canal why should I share my 60ft of space?

Does a bit of venting help?

Now then, once you have calmed down, please explain which bit of it is tosh, and why.

In your perfect world your theory may work, however the world isnt that perfect and sometimes we have to accept that.

For example there are within our marina almost 450 boats. The provision of visitor mooring in the area is such that if even a small amount of these boats escape for the weekend there just isnt room for them all. Pulling into the bank and banging the pins in isnt an option as most of these boats are too deep drafted to get anywhere near the edge.

What would you have them do? Drive up and down or form an orderly queue for the next avaliable space, or like most people, do allow them alongside and make some new friends in the process. It isnt difficult, it neednt cause any infingement on the inside boats privacy and if you really want to you can suggest they go on the inside and you switch places. We have had boats raft to us whilst we have been in the cabin watching TV and have not even known they have landed until have knocked or stepped on the back, it does however help that we have port lights instead of bloody great big caravan windows.

So they should enjoy themselves at my expense I should have to put up with my view blocked listening to there TV and Music and having my boat rocked........ There are 2,000 miles of canal why should I share my 60ft of space?

Exactly.

In some places there is a limited amount of mooring space, and first come first served seems as fair as we can make it.

In your perfect world your theory may work, however the world isnt that perfect and sometimes we have to accept that.

For example there are within our marina almost 450 boats. The provision of visitor mooring in the area is such that if even a small amount of these boats escape for the weekend there just isnt room for them all. Pulling into the bank and banging the pins in isnt an option as most of these boats are too deep drafted to get anywhere near the edge.

What would you have them do? Drive up and down or form an orderly queue for the next avaliable space, or like most people, do allow them alongside and make some new friends in the process. It isnt difficult, it neednt cause any infingement on the inside boats privacy and if you really want to you can suggest they go on the inside and you switch places. We have had boats raft to us whilst we have been in the cabin watching TV and have not even known they have landed until have knocked or stepped on the back, it does however help that we have port lights instead of bloody great big caravan windows.

That is why I have a narrow boat can moor where I wish and don't want my nice big windows blocked by anything, especially a big lump of plastic