Chassis and Engine Black

Featured Posts

One of the remaining tins of paint I have discovered in the boat is a large tin labelled "Chassis and Engine Black" - which I assume is the matt black stuff you use on the underside of a car. If I use any of this on any of the external superstructure of the boat will it:

1. stand up to weather?
  2. be able to be overpainted with normal boat gloss in the future when I have some cash?
  3. be varnishable if I use it to paint something decorative?

Anyone ever used this stuff?

Thanks

... which I assume is the matt black stuff you use on the underside of a car.

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought so. What you're describing is Underseal, and you wouldn't want that anywhere near an engine. I'm afraid I don;t know what that product is.

Tony

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought so. What you're describing is Underseal, and you wouldn't want that anywhere near an engine. I'm afraid I don;t know what that product is.

Tony

It'll be some black, shiny stuff that eventually goes dull

Richard

Tony

Okay - I only guessed at what it was because it's got the word "chassis" in the title! Still none-the-wiser as to whether I can use it anywhere on the boat. I wonder if the previous owner thought he could black the hull with it...? Can't see any other reason for it to be on the boat. But I don't intend to black the bottom with it - as it's free I just want to be able to use it somewhere on the outside of the boat.

Okay - I only guessed at what it was because it's got the word "chassis" in the title! Still none-the-wiser as to whether I can use it anywhere on the boat. I wonder if the previous owner thought he could black the hull with it...? Can't see any other reason for it to be on the boat. But I don't intend to black the bottom with it - as it's free I just want to be able to use it somewhere on the outside of the boat.

Got a bit of wood that you can stir it with and then see how it dries?

Tony

The trouble is, if it's cellulose - - it'll strip off your existing paint, and create an unholy mess . . . .

Does it say ont' tin what the solvent is, BSP?

I'm guessing it is something like Tekaloid, a hard wearing black paint for use on things that don't have to be shiny. If I didn't use blacking it's the sort of stuff I'd use on the gunnels.

Richard

I'm guessing it is something like Tekaloid, a hard wearing black paint for use on things that don't have to be shiny. If I didn't use blacking it's the sort of stuff I'd use on the gunnels.

Richard

Tekaloid is an enamel, isn't it? Just that Lisa will have to think about what thinners to use on the brush.

Tony

Okay - here's what it says on the tin:

Chassis and Engine Black - contains xylene and mixed isomers - for professional use only - do not dispose of down drains - keep away from sources of ignition - harmful

So all positive then!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Chassis and Engine Black - contains xylene and mixed isomers - for professional use only - do not dispose of down drains - keep away from sources of ignition - harmful

So all positive then!

Does it have a makers game, or will no-one own up to producing it.

Richard

So all positive then!

I have no idea what this paint is, but I wouldn't want to paint an engine black (especially if it must be *kept away from sources of ignition* ) and I wouldn't want to paint a chassis with heat resistant paint. But if you have a red door that you want to paint black it could be useful?.............. (apologies to the strolling bones)

Personally, I would take it to the local tip for disposal.

The trouble is, if it's cellulose - - it'll strip off your existing paint, and create an unholy mess . . . .

Does it say ont' tin what the solvent is, BSP?

So all positive then!

Hmm - - Xylene is a high grade component of Cellulose thinners (Used in Hammerite paints for example)

I'd be doubly cautious now . . . .

Does it have a makers game, or will no-one own up to producing it.

Richard

A profoundly simple and essential question :lol:

So all positive then!

It sounds like a form of high temp enamel. But if that's the case why would it be recommended for chassis? Maybe it's someone else's version of Smooth Hammerite. As Richard says, we need a maker.

Tony

It sounds like a form of high temp enamel. But if that's the case why would it be recommended for chassis? Maybe it's someone else's version of Smooth Hammerite. As Richard says, we need a maker.

Tony

Running in close proximity to an exhaust pipe would account for the "high temp" stuff

Richard

Running in close proximity to an exhaust pipe would account for the "high temp" stuff

Richard

Agreed, standard black shiny paint. Gunwales would be a possibility, or maybe the previous owner has painted some engine parts, brackets or engine bay stuff with it.

Not dissimilar to smooth hammerite, as has been said.

That's what I'd expect, anyway.

PC

Perhaps a previous owner used it on the 'top plank' of the hull? (Where ornary gloss black would work just as well - and can be touched up easily).

If the engine and chassis black isn't already hardened, I'd chuck it (in the local authority's safe disposal place). Xylene is nasty stuff altogether. It was the solvent in some floor varnish I used ( in the house!) some years ago, and the brush was sacrificial because nothing to hand would work. Using that floor varnish caused dizziness, headaches, you name it - I vowed 'never again'!

Xylene is nasty stuff altogether.

I believe it's the solvent in Hammerite, which is why ordinary enamel thinners doesn't work.

Only use in a well-ventilated area (like the gunwales, and not the bilge).

Tony

I don't think it's dangerous. It sounds like a good old "satin black"; a general purpose black paint used for the behind-the-scenes metal parts on cars. It's probably tough enough for external use provided you prep and prime the surface well enough and get a couple or three top coats on. I would not use it on really hot bits though (i.e. the exhaust).

Edited to add: here's the contents of Halfords standard rattle-can satin black ... CLICKY ... which is widely used as ... Spray can clicky

Edited by Graham!

I don't think it's dangerous. It sounds like a good old "satin black"; a general purpose black paint used for the behind-the-scenes metal parts on cars. It's probably tough enough for external use provided you prep and prime the surface well enough and get a couple or three top coats on. I would not use it on really hot bits though (i.e. the exhaust).

Edited to add: here's the contents of Halfords standard rattle-can satin black ... CLICKY ... which is widely used as ... Spray can clicky

I don't think it is dangerous either. It's black paint

Richard