Framing nailer

Featured Posts

Hiya,

Does anyone who knows anything about framing nailers think that this Ebay item would be any good for occasional use?

I know it's somewhat off-topic for boat building but someone might use one for a timber top :lol:

I'm building a new shed at home and I already have an 18g pinner but fancy a nailer. Most of them are silly money but this one seems a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Tony

Hiya,

Does anyone who knows anything about framing nailers think that this Ebay item would be any good for occasional use?

I know it's somewhat off-topic for boat building but someone might use one for a timber top :lol:

I'm building a new shed at home and I already have an 18g pinner but fancy a nailer. Most of them are silly money but this one seems a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Tony

Have you lost your hammer?

Richard

You get what you pay for and I wouldn't buy one for professional use but, for occasional home use, I might have a punt.

Do you have a lake at home then for your punt

Richard

Hiya,

Thanks,

Tony

If its for one job hire a Paslode it will be very cheap and if it goes wrong they'll give you another. The nailer you are thinking of like most cheap air tools will probably need a large volume of air, the stated pressure is irrelavant but the volume of air needed more important. No worries if you have a large compressor at hand

Edited by soldthehouse

If its for one job hire a Paslode it will be very cheap and if it goes wrong they'll give you another. The nailer you are thinking of like most cheap air tools will probably need a large volume of air, the stated pressure is irrelavant but the volume of air needed more important. No worries if you have a large compressor at hand

Good advice, thanks. I only have a 25L compressor so it might well struggle I guess. It had never occurred to me to hire a Paslode and a single weekend's hire would do it.

Cheers,

Tony

Good advice, thanks. I only have a 25L compressor so it might well struggle I guess. It had never occurred to me to hire a Paslode and a single weekend's hire would do it.

Cheers,

Tony

I've got a cheap (forty quid) air nailer, not a framing nailer admittedly, it works absolutely fine for the limited use I've made and uses very little air.

I've also got a shed to build soon, I was thinking of using collated screws (simply because I have the kit and it's almost as quick as a nail gun) but don't know how durable the plating on the screws will be in an outdoor situation. The same question will apply with nail gun nails. Does anyone know the answers?

Tim

At the min I am building my own wooden framed house. I am using one of the silverline air nail guns (cost less than that linked one too but no case) & one of my mates has been using a Plaslode. Both are firing 90mm collated nails. I need 85-95 psi (65mm nails need about 65-75 psi) & I am using a 50L 2hp compressor. It can more than keep up in normal use with the 90mm nails & not break a sweat with the 65mm ones. The plaslode spends lots of time in bits, being cursed or nurtured into firing & the worker looking for gas or charged up bats. They need Professional servicing quite often. They are also slower than an air fed one.

The way I looked at it was that I could spend £400 on a plaslode or less than £50 on a silverline & replace it if it dint last (3 year warranty too). As its likely to be left lying about on the job, get rained on, dropped ect I went for the cheap one.

Cheers,

Tony

25L for a nailer is a big compressor, for a spray gun (as you probably know) - not enough! :lol:

Have you lost your hammer?

Richard

I lent it to Paul.

Tony

;) I've got a collection now! Thanks for lending it to me though, I'm appreciating the 25kg sledge, it's an improvement on the 4lb one for tight adjustment work... :lol:

Don't lose your head, Brad, wire you playing with a punt, clout a sail into it and Tack home . . .

G+F, that needs a mac or an overcoat, let alone a common-or-garden coat... :lol: :lol:

PC

At the min I am building my own wooden framed house. I am using one of the silverline air nail guns (cost less than that linked one too but no case) & one of my mates has been using a Plaslode. Both are firing 90mm collated nails. I need 85-95 psi (65mm nails need about 65-75 psi) & I am using a 50L 2hp compressor. It can more than keep up in normal use with the 90mm nails & not break a sweat with the 65mm ones. The plaslode spends lots of time in bits, being cursed or nurtured into firing & the worker looking for gas or charged up bats. They need Professional servicing quite often. They are also slower than an air fed one.

The way I looked at it was that I could spend £400 on a plaslode or less than £50 on a silverline & replace it if it dint last (3 year warranty too). As its likely to be left lying about on the job, get rained on, dropped ect I went for the cheap one.

The paslode you are quoting is probably one of the typical used and abused nailers that has done a considerable amount of trouble free work before its got into its current state. It should deliver a lot of nails on one battery and thousands of nails on a gas cartridge, As usual you cant get blood out of a stone and any tool thats not looked after will give poor service. we have five paslodes and service them ourselves, we need them to perform and theres nothing to compre for nailing all day every day thats why they are £400.

At the min I am building my own wooden framed house. I am using one of the silverline air nail guns ...

Would that be the 282400?

I can find that for £85.99 with free delivery here which isn't a huge amount more than hiring a Paslode for the weekend. Paul reckons a 25L compressor would probably be okay (I'll just have to go slow if not, it's not like this is going to get trade use or anything like it), so I'm leaning in favour of buying one again.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Yes thats the one.

So far I have done over 8000 90mm nails & about 2000 50-65mm nails. It gets oil via the air line so get an inline oiler or you need to put oil in it a couple of times per day if using it all day. The only other thing I do is give it a spray of WD40 to keep the surface rust away & lube the external bits.

The plaslode is a few years old so you are prob right about it being worn. Just very hard to justify £400 when its for domestic use or heavy use for one job.

Dep on the job the air line can be a pain. Doing the roof rafters at the min & the hose needs careful management.

Okay, I've made a decision - hooray!

Just need to await some money from a client... any client... just pay me summat, please...

Tony :lol:

It gets oil via the air line so get an inline oiler...

I have one :lol:

Thanks for the advice.

I give up :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dont give up. Had someone posted that they wanted a nailer to use for work or to make a living from then yes get a Plaslode would be the right advice in most cases. For part time DIY or a one off its just not worth spending that much money. Just like most of us drive smaller cheaper cars to do the shopping & running around in & not the best that is available.

I give up :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Awww, don't feel so bad. I did appreciate your suggestion and you almost had me swayed for a while. But a Paslode will cost £34 for a weekend, plus the gas, and if I need it for two weekends then it's almost the same price as buying something shiny and new which I can keep. My Brad Nailer was only cheap, but I've fired well over 2000 brads with it since I've had it with only a single jam that I can recall in all that time.

Tony

Dont give up. Had someone posted that they wanted a nailer to use for work or to make a living from then yes get a Plaslode would be the right advice in most cases. For part time DIY or a one off its just not worth spending that much money. Just like most of us drive smaller cheaper cars to do the shopping & running around in & not the best that is available.

I would agree if I had suggested buying one but My advice was very clear. and that was to hire one which would eliminate any risk of unreliability and would be no where near the 400 that you keep reminding us of. The reason i feel like giving up is, I regularly try to give technical advice on here and without fail it is never ever taken. i can live with that but on a day to day basis in the real world and not the virtual world, I'm the one eveerybody comes to for advice, and I also get on with anything thats thrown at me without a fuss normally without a hitch. so you can see how frustrating it is to be constantly ignored evertime it just has a very negative effect on your enthusiasm to offer advice. i say all this not as an armchair theorist but as someone who gets through a great deal of practical decision making and diagnostic and repair situations on a day to day basis. Ho hum just have to sit back and watch from now on.. :lol:

Edited by soldthehouse

If you dont have two sides offering you advice then you not getting good advice. Just cos they dont do what you have said does not mean that they have not considered it.

I often fine myself in the same boat as you think you are in now. I also like to play the devils advocate just to spice it up a bit or just to make them think & not do what every one else does.

Also advice is just that, advice. Its then up to the person to sift it all & then on the balance of all that advice make the choice that best suits them.

I must admit I dint spot that you were the person that mentioned hiring. Plus round here hiring means getting your butt reamed cos there is no competition.

Plus as its a cheap tool hiring become less worth while. For such a short term he wont need the big brand name features & reliability & as he said he will still have the tool for other jobs basically for free.

Tools that you will def use once & cost a lot you should hire.