We're booked on the Ribble Link

Ange

Featured Posts

Brilliant photos, well done dave for the steering and ange for the pictures.

cheers, Mark.

Thank you :lol:

And thanks for your help with the Wigan Flight! Where are you at the moment?

Thank you :lol:

And thanks for your help with the Wigan Flight! Where are you at the moment?

Hi Ange,

as you know I was heading in the general direction of liverpool but discretion being the better part of valour, after looking at the levels in some of the pounds I turned round and am now at dover lock on my way to the bridgewater and back to moving at my usual snails pace.

Cheers, Mark.

Yes, once we were out of Tarleton Lock I set a pace which I thought was fairly reasonable but soon realised I was losing the boat we were in the lock with and catching the pair in front. Then started speeding up, so Ange could get the bow wave shots, and easing off. I never actually had the throttle (quite) fully open.

Did you loose the water skier too? :lol:

Hi Ange,

as you know I was heading in the general direction of liverpool but discretion being the better part of valour, after looking at the levels in some of the pounds I turned round and am now at dover lock on my way to the bridgewater and back to moving at my usual snails pace.

Cheers, Mark.

We're currently on the Bridgewater at Moore. What a peaceful place to be. :lol:

Might have been a good decision not to go any further towards Liverpool, although the levels are better now than that of recent weeks. We went in April at normal water height and still managed to bugger one of the prop blades on the mire between Melling & Stanley dock. Also, there's a submerged car just before the M57 road bridge. It's only been there for about a year! :lol:

Well worth a trip, all the same.

Mike

Where is the car , is it between spencers lane and 57 bridge ? been up and down and never come across it and hoping to go through at the weekend.

As for the " mire " i have gone through at lot worse on other canals and this canal further into lancashire , wigan pier going down to the next lock for instance has quite a few of b&q,s largest trolleys in the pound , not so bad if the level is up but when its low attention is needed.

The lad off ellie may said bw sorted him out for prop damage he got in burnley , but he also said his friend is a bw bigwig , dont know if either statement was true.

Hi Ange, Think I passed you moored in Garstang last night, while there give The Royal Oak a try, good Robinson's beer and good food. Hosteleries are a bit thin on the ground until you reach Galgate unless you walk to the A6 from Radcliffe Wharfe (good moorings) also just before bridge 74, no gangplank req'd.

Regards, Johnb. :lol:

Brilliant photos - Richard's face is a picture..........

Yep, really enjoyed it.

But I'm no where near as handsome as Richard :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Edit for messing up smiley

Edited by davel

Hi Ange, Think I passed you moored in Garstang last night, while there give The Royal Oak a try, good Robinson's beer and good food. Hosteleries are a bit thin on the ground until you reach Galgate unless you walk to the A6 from Radcliffe Wharfe (good moorings) also just before bridge 74, no gangplank req'd.

Regards, Johnb. :lol:

Hi John

Thanks for the pub tip. Unfortunately we're on a tight budge to we can only go out one night a week and apparently there's a free jazz night on at The Old Tithe Barn this weekend which Dave rather fancies. Do you know if they do decent beer?

Thanks for the mooring tips :lol:

We're going to need pump out facilities fairly soon - are they like hens' teeth around here or fairly easy to find?

Cheers

Ange

Edited - if we're in and anyone passes feel free to visit - the kettle is always ready for visitors :lol:

Edited by Ange

Pumpout at Galgate so you will be there soon,I would like to have gone to the meet but just had 6 days in hospital and surgery so cannot drive or sail at moment and only 20 to 25 mins by car from Galgate.

Hope you have a good turnout and weather stays fine.

Pumpout at Galgate so you will be there soon,I would like to have gone to the meet but just had 6 days in hospital and surgery so cannot drive or sail at moment and only 20 to 25 mins by car from Galgate.

Hope you have a good turnout and weather stays fine.

Thanks for the info. Tis a shame you won't make it to the banter (especially as you're so close). Best wishes for a full recovery :lol:

As for the weather - hmm - the weather forecast tonight showed the entire region as one big puddle! We visited some caves today to stay indoors! It looked dry tomorrow afternoon though so we should have a chance to put our walking boots on and do some exploring

careful, the pump out at Galgate only takes BWML cards, not the normal BW ones. There's a BW pump out in Garstang at Moss Lane, one bridge north of the Old Tithebarn.

Other BW pump outs at Lancaster and Tewitfield, so we're pretty well served.

Where is the car , is it between spencers lane and 57 bridge ? been up and down and never come across it and hoping to go through at the weekend.

As for the " mire " i have gone through at lot worse on other canals and this canal further into lancashire , wigan pier going down to the next lock for instance has quite a few of b&q,s largest trolleys in the pound , not so bad if the level is up but when its low attention is needed.

The lad off ellie may said bw sorted him out for prop damage he got in burnley , but he also said his friend is a bw bigwig , dont know if either statement was true.

As you approach the 57 bridge on the inward journey to the link. When we passed through in April, on our way in, we didn't notice any problem. On our return, some 12 days later, our bow raised up then the boat slowly slid away to one side. My wife was inside making me my umteenth cuppa of the day and thought I'd booked a ticket on 'The Big One' at Blackpool funfair. Quite scary at the time.

Some of our friends who own wide beams and a Dutch Barge went through to Liverpool quite recently and didn't encounter any problems. Owing to their deep draughts they've probably turned the saloon into a soft top by now.

We venture through Wigan quite often and I'd say it comes a close second to the mire between Bridge 9a and the Stanley Lock on the link. We were stranded in ice for six weeks on the Coventry canal earlier this year and you could see on the frozen surface under each bridge hole, what the locals think of the canal system. It was a bloody disgrace.

Back to Wigan, we came through to Hell Meadow lock last Saturday and were informed by approaching boaters that the pound had been drained by vandals yet again. I believe it's six times this year, so far. Is it the pigs who make the sty, or, the sty that makes the pigs?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp please.

I doubt whether we'd get any compensation from BW for our damaged prop, they can't even afford to clear the waste disposal compound at Anderton Services on the Trent & Mersey. How else can they allocate huge bonus payments to their under-achieving board members?

Did you loose the water skier too? :lol:

I think he choked on the cloud of smoke as we left Tarleton lock :lol:

We're currently on the Bridgewater at Moore. What a peaceful place to be. :lol:

Keep an eye out for a little narrowboat called Longford moored at Sale Cruising Club - that's my mum & dad's boat

careful, the pump out at Galgate only takes BWML cards, not the normal BW ones. There's a BW pump out in Garstang at Moss Lane, one bridge north of the Old Tithebarn.

Other BW pump outs at Lancaster and Tewitfield, so we're pretty well served.

Thanks for that info - we're moored almost opposite the BW sani station at Moss Lane and it was your post that prompted me to investigate it and find the pump out equipment in an unmarked hut!

Pump out also at Barton Grange Marina. Get token from nearby garden centre although they are dearer than the BW ones. £13.95 when I bought one last.

Aye - slightly dearer - but the Barton Grange pump-out is fairly new - and rumour has it that it's kept in good condition by the very house-proud operator

We saw the Barton Grange pump out as we passed - it looked very new

So you CAN polish a Turd (-sucker)

:lol:

Keep an eye out for a little narrowboat called Longford moored at Sale Cruising Club - that's my mum & dad's boat

Think I remember seeing Longford, possibly not long after musing over the canal raft that transports the people from the clubhouse to the other side, in order to stock up on 'falling down water' :lol:

We always go past Sale Cruising Club at tickover speed, ever since an angry club member growled at us for doing 2 knots past her poorly tethered boat :lol:

Edited by Doorman

Think I remember seeing Longford, possibly not long after musing over the canal raft that transports the people from the clubhouse to the other side, in order to stock up on 'falling down water' :lol:

We always go past Sale Cruising Club at tickover speed, ever since an angry club member growled at us for doing 2 knots past her poorly tethered boat :lol:

Mum & dad are out this weekend - give them a wave if you see them!

Grumpy people badly tethered seem to be endemic - I know we have boats pass us at a rate of knots which we comment on, then check our pins and blame ourselves if they come out.

Back to pump outs - which is becoming important to us! We've always pumped out at marinas / hirers where we pay with cash money. Here we have machines that want different forms of cards. Where do we get these cards from? Dave thinks we need to visit BW offices for them, is that right? What's the difference between BWML cards and BW ones?

The BW office in Galgate used to carry some pump out cards but I think you have to preorder them now and arrange a time to visit the office to pick them up. They have strange opening times. The one at Barton Grange (as mentioned in previous post) works by token which can be bought at the farm food section of the nearby garden centre. I will be on the canal during the weekend of the banter at Galgate and hopefuly will be able to attend if that is OK. What are the arrangements etc?

The BW office in Galgate used to carry some pump out cards but I think you have to preorder them now and arrange a time to visit the office to pick them up. They have strange opening times. The one at Barton Grange (as mentioned in previous post) works by token which can be bought at the farm food section of the nearby garden centre. I will be on the canal during the weekend of the banter at Galgate and hopefuly will be able to attend if that is OK. What are the arrangements etc?

I think Trevor at Galgate marina office has pump out cards but he isn't here at the moment, not sure why! The office is open at 10 till 1pm Tuesday to Saturday, I will make enquiries for you.

Lancashire Banter is 14th August meeting at The Plough, but not sure what time, 4pm perhaps or lunch time? what time do banters usually meet?

I think Trevor at Galgate marina office has pump out cards but he isn't here at the moment, not sure why! The office is open at 10 till 1pm Tuesday to Saturday, I will make enquiries for you.

Lancashire Banter is 14th August meeting at The Plough, but not sure what time, 4pm perhaps or lunch time? what time do banters usually meet?

The last one sort of started the day before, although there were boats present from the previous weekend. It finished on the Sunday, although the last pickled egg wasn't eaten until last week.

That's about the usual accuracy for a banter as I understand it

Richard

Sign of the times or what, having a poo is complicated now and expensive! and by appointment! :lol: