To thrust or not to thrust

Artimis

Featured Posts

There are several different styles of thruster that could be used - a transverse tube and motor-driven propellor is only one of these. However they all require some form of motor and supply of electricity or hydrocarbon fuel to power them. So yes, they would take up valuable space that could be used more profitably, and use fuel of some nature that had a cost. But the real answer is simply that they are unnecessary on UK canals, and the "propellor" would quickly get smashed to bits with a loaded boat as it's close to the bottom, and would be ineffectively propelling air on an empty one. Fleet owners are probably less likely to introduce them (voluntarily) than a private operator. "Going wrong" is the only way they could go.

........ or wind, of course.

And a boat pole plus current but an expert (remember windlass) disapproved of that as it was 'dangerous'.

We normally push the front out and when its over 6' or so push the back (which tends to slow the front. When that is out about 4' or more we move off.

We don't bother with the front end, just push the stern out and when at a suitable angle put rudder on and pivot out.

As Tam wrote B.T.'s are not a necessity on the UK canals and the helmsman should learn how to handle his boat without a B.T. even if he has one fitted.

A completely different matter is when boats and barges are working in countries where there's usually lots of wind and masses of water traffic, waiting for bridges to open while you are stopped or going very slow with a bunch of expensive houseboats tied-up on both sides and hardly any (or no room at all) room for keeping your bows in the wind while waiting, you can only avoid damage by dropping an anchor and very slowly motoring forward to keep the chain tied but without crabbing, of course when the passage is free you have to get the anchor up again, which is far from practical.

Nowedays you won't find many commercial barges in Holland that are not equipped with B.T. but I can assure you that (almost) all the bargees know extremely well how to handle their craft.

If you are trading on your own, which is legal with barges up to 50m (164')long, but amongst the long list of requirements is the obligation for a 360° B.T.

Peter.

I hover at locks and learnt any boaty skills that I may have without the aid of a b.thruster, but saying that we have one and have always had one and yes it is useful and if we had another boat I would have one again. Handy for reversing in tight places, keeping over in double locks , moving sideways, but have also seen 'captain ' press the offending button just as Mrs Captain is about to step off the bow, not a happy moment. Also nothing worse than hearing 'the bow thruster bird ' trilling when there really isint any need. Bunny.

I hover at locks and learnt any boaty skills that I may have without the aid of a b.thruster, but saying that we have one and have always had one and yes it is useful and if we had another boat I would have one again. Handy for reversing in tight places, keeping over in double locks , moving sideways, but have also seen 'captain ' press the offending button just as Mrs Captain is about to step off the bow, not a happy moment. Also nothing worse than hearing 'the bow thruster bird ' trilling when there really isint any need. Bunny.

My dad used to say "why do you need a mobile phone i have managed all my life without one".

There are certain persons that should be banned from having a bow thruster including the lady on a share boat who was about to pass close but not hit when she paniced and hit the bowthruster - as the swerl was on the wrong side the almost head on collision was inevitable for, even though I was turning away she followed me with moronic determination. After the hit she just drove on like I had never existed.

I was intrigued to watch a boat (no name mentioned but it was nice) preform a magnificently preformed turn in the 'Great Northern basin' yesterday no sign of any bow thruster thrashing going on - 10 out of 10. :cheers:

When he moored though he left the bow a little astray from the bank - the result was the um-mistaken 'bow thruster shriek' to get his bow to the side.

I just thought, why do you need it bud???

I was intrigued to watch a boat (no name mentioned but it was nice) preform a magnificently preformed turn in the 'Great Northern basin' yesterday no sign of any bow thruster thrashing going on - 10 out of 10. :cheers:

When he moored though he left the bow a little astray from the bank - the result was the um-mistaken 'bow thruster shriek' to get his bow to the side.

I just thought, why do you need it bud???

Because it's a tool in the toolbox - what was his alternative, reverse and do another approach? Why not press the button if you have it?

• 1 month later...

?????

Only if you design it to be (or ballast it to be) surely ?

Generally there is more buoyancy for the total weight in a WB, and naturally I'd say most would have less draught if unballasted.

I can't see why you would deliberately choose to put a modern leisure WB lower in the water than it's skinnier cousin ?

My 12' widebeam draws only 2' 2", perhaps 2'4" at the skeg.

The OP was asking about a widebeam and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that most widebeams don't go astern as well as an equivalent narrow boat because the swim is so much wider, meaning the swim length:width ratio is shorter. BTs are great for controlling the bow in astern making reversing very easy.

Edited by blackrose

These different handling techniques are not necessarily mutally exclusive. Just because a boat has a bow thruster it doesn't mean that one can't step ashore and pull it in with a line.

Nobody would argue that having a generator and battery charger means that one's alternators are obsolete.

Edited by blackrose