Change the buttons name

Justme

Featured Posts

Can we please please have a change of the "reply" buttons name.

This site is full of long & meaningless quotes cos people hit the "reply" button & not the "new reply" or "quick reply" buttons.

Please rename the "reply" button "quote" & the "quote" button "multi quote".

This site is full of long & meaningless quotes cos people hit the "reply" button & not the "new reply" or "quick reply" buttons.

Is it annoying?

I like all the quotes as on a long thread it saves having to go all the way through, I can soon get the gist by reading the OP and then the last few pages.

I like all the quotes as on a long thread it saves having to go all the way through, I can soon get the gist by reading the OP and then the last few pages.

I think the current system is fine - it may need a bit of getting used to but it works well for most of us.

The 'options' at the head of the topic on the right provides three different display modes - the choice ought to be suitable for the majority and there is also a option to choose the 'low-fi' version for slow connections - the latter can be found by selecting the button at the bottom of the screen.

Most of the regular contributors have learned to edit quotes - sometimes by using the term >snip< to indicate that they have done so - this keeps the posts neat, concise and to the point.

<snip>

Most of the regular contributors have learned to edit quotes - sometimes by using the term >snip< to indicate that they have done so - this keeps the posts neat, concise and to the point.

Expanding on the <snip> or >snip< thing. I do this so as to reduce the amount of stuff in my post, to focus on the specific point I want to respond to, and finally to acknowledge that I have taken away some of what the poster I'm quoting has said.

Richard

<snip> I do this so as to reduce the amount of stuff in my post, to focus on the specific point I want to respond to, and finally to acknowledge that I have taken away some of what the poster I'm quoting has said.

Richard

Which is the dead right way to do it.

Some however just use the "reply" when their post has no connection to the post they are quoting & they leave the quote in its entirety but add just a few of their own words at the bottom. Seeing 1-200 quoted words with a one liner reply is silly when it does not need the quoted reference. I would estimate that over 30% of ALL the posts here are needless quotes.

Any way I guess it works here if it does not bother the rest of the members. Cant see many other forums putting up with it for long (of all the ones I use this is the only one where it happens). A quote should be a quote not just an lazy way to reply.

stuff ... what the poster ... has said.

Richard

Exactly, useful tool! :lol:

A good example of why I use the <snip> markers, as what you cut my words down to isn't what I said. That's how fights start!

Richard

:lol:

Which is the dead right way to do it.

Some however just use the "reply" when their post has no connection to the post they are quoting & they leave the quote in its entirety but add just a few of their own words at the bottom. Seeing 1-200 quoted words with a one liner reply is silly when it does not need the quoted reference. I would estimate that over 30% of ALL the posts here are needless quotes.

Any way I guess it works here if it does not bother the rest of the members. Cant see many other forums putting up with it for long (of all the ones I use this is the only one where it happens). A quote should be a quote not just an lazy way to reply.

True.

snip

first timeI did that I got shouted at, but I have carried on without comment. Maybe every one have me blocked :lol: :lol:

While we're at it we could rename the Search button to "random selection"

Or the "I really can't be bothered to find out how to make it work sensibly" button ?

If you genuinely think your search terms are resulting in a random selection of posts, I can assure you you don't understand how it works......

Not trying to be harsh here, but it's true......

Or the "I really can't be bothered to find out how to make it work sensibly" button ?

I've tried, I really have. Including using the + signs which are supposed to include all terms.

Do you have some advice?

If you genuinely think your search terms are resulting in a random selection of posts, I can assure you you don't understand how it works......

No that was an attempt at humour ...

I've tried, I really have. Including using the + signs which are supposed to include all terms.

Do you have some advice?

No that was an attempt at humour ...

I have to admit that IO have little problem with using 'Search' successfully - - - -

Result type>

I always click on Search>More Search Options> (and will then choose which Forum, and always choose 'show results as posts

That will normally distil the results in an acceptable format

I have to admit that IO have little problem with using 'Search' successfully - - - -

Result type>

I always click on Search>More Search Options> (and will then choose which Forum, and always choose 'show results as posts

That will normally distil the results in an acceptable format

Hey thanks!!!

I tried the show results as posts and that makes all the difference.

I think I can see why that is - maybe that should be the default.

Rob

This topic has come up before, and infact, i have raised it myself prior to joining the moderation team and then becoming site owner.

Given we are shortly (honest) moving to v3 of the software which includes a skin change im not going to anything till then, however after that i will look into it.

Daniel

• 5 months later...

I notice that the V3 skin has the 'quote' button labeled as 'multiquote' (which can not be used cross-thread as well as within a thread) which makes it more clear, although the 'reply' button could still be better labeled in my opinion as 'quote' it does atleast now have a image of a quotation bubble next to it.

Daniel

I notice that the V3 skin has the 'quote' button labeled as 'multiquote' (which can not be used cross-thread as well as within a thread) which makes it more clear, although the 'reply' button could still be better labeled in my opinion as 'quote' it does atleast now have a image of a quotation bubble next to it.

Daniel

And your point is caller? :lol:

Daniel

Hang on, have you made a change?

Richard

Daniel

Hang on, have you made a change?

Richard

Well no not really, only as part of changing to the V3 software 6 months ago.

I've been wanting to do that for some time

So, we run out of colours at yellow

Richard

Edit: I've buggered up the headers

Edited by RLWP