Fishing. Why?

Featured Posts

This is some thing I just do not understand, sea fishing or trout fishing for food I do understand. But why the poor old carp?? They are big fat old lazy fish that eat poo, and, I understand, rubbish to eat (unless you are polish). We have a few wonderful old fish around us who come up to say hello and feed from our hands, real sweeties. But, I am horrified at their mutilated mouths. All misshapen, often with huge chunks missing, including their wonderful whiskers. They are a freak show, some have difficulty feeding because of the damage done, I imaginge, by repeatedly being dragged out of the water on the end of a hook.

How is this fun? Why not sit by the water and enjoy the scenary with a camera instead?

This is some thing I just do not understand, sea fishing or trout fishing for food I do understand. But why the poor old carp?? They are big fat old lazy fish that eat poo, and, I understand, rubbish to eat (unless you are polish). We have a few wonderful old fish around us who come up to say hello and feed from our hands, real sweeties. But, I am horrified at their mutilated mouths. All misshapen, often with huge chunks missing, including their wonderful whiskers. They are a freak show, some have difficulty feeding because of the damage done, I imaginge, by repeatedly being dragged out of the water on the end of a hook.

How is this fun? Why not sit by the water and enjoy the scenary with a camera instead?

Why boat?, after all you are burning fossil fuels, creating harmful emissions, disturbing an aquatic environment etc.

Each to their own (from a boater and a fishing fan)

Couldn't agree more. I am sure the fish are a lot happier swimming about minding their own business than suddenly getting hauled out of the water with a hook through their mouths. I tried fishing for a while many years ago. I quite enjoyed it except when I caught something and then I felt terribly guilty. :lol: When you see the catalogues of angling equipment and a lot of it is more like survival gear than something you would use for enjoyment, it does make you wonder what the attraction is.

Edited by Natalie Graham

This is some thing I just do not understand, sea fishing or trout fishing for food I do understand. But why the poor old carp?? They are big fat old lazy fish that eat poo, and, I understand, rubbish to eat (unless you are polish).

I can't answer your question (I catch fish from the sea because they are tasty) but I have ate Carp and it was very nice indeed.

Apparently the trick is to take them home alive and put them in the bath, feedng them on a non-poo based diet, for a few days.

:lol:

Its no joke. Same goes for trout.

Put them in a bath with plenty of fresh water and as Carl says feed them a poo free diet. They taste much better that way by all accounts.

Because it is cruel and senceless, IMO. Each to their own. My boating does not cause an animal deliberate pain.

Your boating may not but boating in general releases a whole host of chemicals into the water either by accident or deliberate actions.

I don't mind pond flavoured trout, though I prefer river caught ones.

I think the "pondiness" is less severe because they tend to eat fresher aquatic life, whereas the Carp will eat muck and poo that has been rotting down for years.

Probably why pheasants taste nicer than rooks, too.

Put them in a bath with plenty of fresh water and as Carl says feed them a poo free diet. They taste much better that way by all accounts.

Same for Eel.

I thought it was so for any fish that is caught in inland water? Mind you, last rod caught fish I ate was close to thirty years ago.. Pike.

Your boating may not but boating in general releases a whole host of chemicals into the water either by accident or deliberate actions.

Canals are man made for boats, never mind the nit picking you are posing re. my carbon foot print and polluting boat. I am mearly trying to understand what makes it so much fun for so many to spend lots of time catching a animal, tearing a chunk out of it's face, weighing it and throwing it back.

You, it appears, do not have the answer to this as you enjoy fishing. I enjoying sea fishing, there is a point to that, but, I do not understand carp fishing.

I don't mind pond flavoured trout, though I prefer river caught ones.

I think the "pondiness" is less severe because they tend to eat fresher aquatic life, whereas the Carp will eat muck and poo that has been rotting down for years.

Probably why pheasants taste nicer than rooks, too.

You will have to save us one of your pheasants. Our road kill is never in an eatable state after a run in with the Datsun :lol:

The OH prefers river caught trout as he isnt keen on the "muddy" flavour of pond trout, which is a shame as we have a pond full of trout up the road from our house which the owner says we can fish at will :lol:

Canals are man made for boats, never mind the nit picking you are posing re. my carbon foot print and polluting boat. I am mearly trying to understand what makes it so much fun for so many to spend lots of time catching a animal, tearing a chunk out of it's face, weighing it and throwing it back.

You, it appears, do not have the answer to this as you enjoy fishing. I enjoying sea fishing, there is a point to that, but, I do not understand carp fishing.

I enjoy boating, i enjoy fishing and i also enjoyed my first attempt at sea fishing. The point is we all enjoy different passtimes.

If you are sea fishing and you catch an undersized fish what do your do with it?

There's a fair bit of anthropomorphism going on here , so I'll add to it :lol: ... I think you'll find carp have considerably more refined palates than merely muck and poo feeding, they have a reputation of being mucky-water dwellers because they are very good at surviving in low oxygen waters ( = "mucky") where many other fish cannot. However they much prefer a diet of invertebrates such as freshwater mussels, and other small animals, (along with the incredible concocotions offered by the danglers to which many carp have demonstrated a great capacity to learn to avoid) ... agreed though, many of the coarse fish have a muddy taste that is removed by keeping them in clean water prior to killing and eating them.

I don't understand. If one of your objections to canal fishing is that it is cruel, is sea fishing any less cruel? I've never understood the attraction of fishing, but since it is said to be the most popular participation sport in the world I accept I am in the minority.

I don't understand. If one of your objections to canal fishing is that it is cruel, is sea fishing any less cruel?

If you like to eat fish then it is generally accepted that it is more humane and less harmful to the environment to catch fish using a hook and line.

Yes, very humane :lol:

More humane than crushing it half to death in a trawler net then to get thrown back in to either die slowly and painfully or get ate by a seagull.

More humane than crushing it half to death in a trawler net then to get thrown back in to either die slowly and painfully or get ate by a seagull.

Could just throw it back so that it has a chance to grow bigger and end up on the table.

If you like to eat fish then it is generally accepted that it is more humane and less harmful to the environment to catch fish using a hook and line.

I thought Water Rat was talking about sea fishing with a rod rather than a net.

I thought Water Rat was talking about sea fishing with a rod rather than a net.

I was responding to Phylis' point about using fish as bait.

Fishing with a rod and line, at sea, is no more, or less "cruel" than inland but, as you are fishing for food, it does have a lot more point to it.

I was responding to Phylis' point about using fish as bait.

Fishing with a rod and line, at sea, is no more, or less "cruel" than inland but, as you are fishing for food, it does have a lot more point to it.

Oh, when you quoted me I thought you were responding to me.

Personally I don't mind how they are caught so long as someone else spends their time doing it and it tastes good.

I don't understand. If one of your objections to canal fishing is that it is cruel, is sea fishing any less cruel? I've never understood the attraction of fishing, but since it is said to be the most popular participation sport in the world I accept I am in the minority.

I suppose the point is that catching a fish causes it some pain.

If your intention is to eat that fish, and you cause the minimum pain possible, that is OK. If you have no intention of eating the fish, you are causing pain for no reason.

Carp because of their feeding methods often have torn mouths , a hook does not need to be involved.

I could show you a lake full of 30lb + mirror carp where there has never been any fishing allowed and you will see fish with torn lips and holed cheeks. Carp are also not vegitarian as so many assume,they will gladly eat smaller fish and other live pond life.