iphone 3GS

Dawnie

Featured Posts

I am considering upgrading to one of these phones. Does anyone use an iphone and would you recommend it for internet on the go use especially on the waterways? :lol: ?

Creamcheese's got one, seems happy enough - she'll be around later to comment, no doubt.

I, personally, look down on it from my lofty heights of Blackberry ownership, you won't be prising mine eve' from my cold, dead hands...

:lol:

Each to their own.

PC

I have one and am very happy with it

Downside however is crap battery life

Chris

Ditto - I have just bought one and they are addictive but as Chris says the battery life is not that great. However 12V chargers for them are very cheap.

There are rumours that the next generatiojn iphone is to be announced shortly.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Yes it is but I think you have to top up £20 monthly although it is not really clear but the phone would cost about £500 too

pay monthly = 75 mins and 125 texts = £25 per month, 24 months contract, phone free

A totally new version is close to being released - it might be worth holding off making a purchase.

...and they are brilliant. It is a mistake to think of the iPhone just as one of many clever phones. It is a whole new device all on it's own. The big corporates cannot touch Apple for human interface.

its a great phone, web browser, email client etc but the battery life is an issue.

There are hundreds of really good applications, some free and some at a reasonable price.

I brought an iphone outright and used it for six months with a 3 sim (i unlocked it to do so) at the end of the 3 contract i went onto a monthly O2 contract with no issues.

What about if you already have a phone (courtesy of my son's upgrade)?

Orange offer PAYG on an iPhone but its pricey that way for Internet browsing, I bought my iPhone via Orange and got a years free Internet but until that got sorted the Internet use was an horrendous cost! When the year runs out in November I shall possibly switch the Internet facility off and keep with the Orange dongle mobile broadband... 10GB a month no contract for £25 a month

you cant tether the iPhone to your computer on a PAYG with Orange, has to be a minimum of 18 months contract to do so...I might look into that when my year free is up...10GB is way more than I need atm but they don't offer 5GB...tsk! they only go up to 3GB then the jump to 10 because they know 3 is not quite enough and so rely on people going over limit which costs a minimum of 5p a MB .... very expensive!

I am considering upgrading to one of these phones. Does anyone use an iphone and would you recommend it for internet on the go use especially on the waterways? :lol: ?

The new one will be announced or released on the 7th June, so wait!

The iPhone is a good phone, and is good for Internet on the go. But it's not a sit down and surf Internet a long time device (ya need a iPad for that! :lol: )

I've got an iPhone on O2 PAYG no problem. If you don't make many calls (like me!), you can add the iPhone Web Bolt On for £10 month. I rarely spend any more than that.

When I got my iPhone last year the PAYG option came with a years worth of free data, then £10 per month after the 12 months. - That was with o2.

Edited by Robbo

are you able to tether the iPhone on your O2 PAYG?

Not officially...

Officially you can only tether on the contract version and you will be paying the same amount as you get with a o2 3G USB dongle! So I never saw the point!

I don't know about the the other providers..

Not officially...

Officially you can only tether on the contract version and you will be paying the same amount as you get with a o2 3G USB dongle! So I never saw the point!

I don't know about the the other providers..

Yes thats what I discovered....Im experimenting with the mobile broadband sim card in the iPad! :lol:

Agree with all the above.

I rarely use a personal phone, but i really like having the web and e mail, Net access is free for 1st year with O2 PAYG, £10 thereafter. Biggest use for me is messenger chatting in the evenings, and playing silly games, (Angry Birds is highly recommended! but don't blame me when you start throwing your new phone around in frustration!)

I use mine in a truck all over the country, very rarely have connection problems, only bad area I have found is in the forest region of Norfolk, but not much chance of getting a narrow boat there, so i guess not an issue.

As stated battery life is only real minus point.

duztee

The 3GS is a really good smart phone - screen update rate when panning and zooming is MUCH faster than the 3G (ie a faster processor). I find the maps app (comes with the phone) really useful whilst cruising - you can ask it where the nearest shops are etc (it knows where you are from the built-in GPS) and it will show you on the map which shops are where, even give you walking directions to get there if you wish. My only gripe is that the phone signal reception is not the best - ie its not good in weak signal area. The other point is that if you drop it into the canal, it probably won't work again (I know from experience!) so maybe you should consider insuring it.

Edited by nicknorman

The 3GS is a really good smart phone - screen update rate when panning and zooming is MUCH faster than the 3G (ie a faster processor)

The 4th gen iPhone is rumoured to have the same A4 chip as the iPad. If you've used the iPad you'll know how it makes the 3GS feel so slow!

Edited by Robbo