Flying the flag

Featured Posts

Hi

I wish to fly a flag from the tiller on my narrowboat but have been unable to find a bracket that would hold the flag pole in place.

Of course I could fix it in place with cable ties but is there a neater more permanent solution?

If all else fails I can have a tube welded on to take the flagpole.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Greenie 1

Have you carefully considered all the "looking like a right pillock" aspects of this plan?

What flag are you planning to fly?

Richard

That's the beauty of living in a democracy - we can reserve the right to look a pillock if we wish..... :lol:

as to the OP most we have seen just seem to cable tie them to the tiller, clearly a welded solution would make you look like a more elegant pillock. for a more elegant solution.

Hang on a minute whats this doing in Crew swap??????

Edited by MJG

That's the beauty of living in a democracy - we can reserve the right to look a pillock if we wish..... :lol:

as to the OP most we have seen just seem to cable tie them to the tiller, clearly a welded solution would make you look like a more elegant pillock. for a more elegant solution.

Hang on a minute whats this doing in Crew swap??????

Hi, thanks for feedback.

Yes I posted in the wrong place.

I have seen a fitting that goes on a tiller to hold an umbrella or sun shade which may be suitable. The boat that sells polish sells them, hopefully someone else will come up with their name.

Sue

Thanks for your reply.

I have an excellent "brolly mate" fitting for the tiller bar and it is ace. I got it from an ad in The Towpath Magazine. This is aimed at holding a brolly or rotating washing line fitted to the tiller bar as opposed to the upright of the tiller where I wish to fly the flag but the idea was a good one.

Cheers

Whats wrong with flying the red ensign?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes a Red Ensign was intended.

Why does RLWP think that boaters who fly flags are "Pillocks" ?

What do other boaters think about such a comment?

Thanks for your reply.

I have an excellent "brolly mate" fitting for the tiller bar and it is ace. I got it from an ad in The Towpath Magazine. This is aimed at holding a brolly or rotating washing line fitted to the tiller bar as opposed to the upright of the tiller where I wish to fly the flag but the idea was a good one.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

Yes a Red Ensign was intended.

Why does RLWP think that boaters who fly flags are "Pillocks" ?

What do other boaters think about such a comment?

I suppose its is just a question of fashion or style aka flaired (bell bottom) jeans which I never could wear!

Flying a flag is not traditional to narrowboats but that does not mean it is forbidden, its just a matter of personal taste. I do not fly one on Goldie but have in the past flown the English flag from Tyro in response to Rugby Council refusing to fly the English flag on St.George's Day in case it upset some of the 'ethnic' community.

Red Rag (Ensign) to a bull!

Ditchdabbler

Edited to add: As usual the 'ethnic community' did not mind the English flag being flown, it was just an over-reaction by a bunch of local authority jobs-worths!!!

Edited by ditchdabbler

There is a good article in Waterways world about this, this month.
Didn't know this, but I do remember a thread about two years ago conerning/discussing this subject.

I did think you were trying to revive this with your little innocent question/suggestion about flying the red ensign.

martyn

Didn't know this, but I do remember a thread about two years ago conerning/discussing this subject.

I did think you were trying to revive this with your little innocent question/suggestion about flying the red ensign.

martyn

Hi Martyn - off topic I know but I am fascinated by your signature quote by Spike Milligan. It is bracketed (before he died). Do you have any quotes of his after he died? :lol:

Ditchdabber

martyn

Have never understood the concept that people flying the ensign are "pillocks". We always fly ours when aboard since we got around to sorting out the flag staff and dont really care what others think. Our boat, our choice. Same goes for any boat be it cruiser, narrowboat or freight carrier.

Purely a personal view this, but I think flags look out of place (and a bit pretentious) on narrowboats.

It always seems to be done by shiny boat owners who think their pride and joy is an ocean liner. It isn't, it's a bl--dy narrowboat, same as everyone else's, ok?

This is the boating equivalent of painting GT40-style 'go faster stripes' on a Ford Fiesta. You're only kidding yourself :lol:

Hi Martyn - off topic I know but I am fascinated by your signature quote by Spike Milligan. It is bracketed (before he died). Do you have any quotes of his after he died? :lol:

Ditchdabber

Unfortunately no.

Just a little add on of my own. Well spotted. It's been there about six months now and not one person has mentioned if before your good self.

Martyn.

If I see a narrowboat flying the red duster I expect to see the steersman wearing a peaked cap with scrambled egg on it. Oddly, seeing minority flags (S. African and Cornish seem quite common) being flown doesn't make the same impression on me.

Purely a personal view this, but I think flags look out of place (and a bit pretentious) on narrowboats.

It always seems to be done by shiny boat owners who think their pride and joy is an ocean liner. It isn't, it's a bl--dy narrowboat, same as everyone else's, ok?

This is the boating equivalent of painting GT40-style 'go faster stripes' on a Ford Fiesta. You're only kidding yourself :lol:

Nice of you to judge others by a flag

I quite agree.

Tim

Surely it is the owners choice if they fly the flag or not.

Of course it's their choice, but you can't then object to being judged on your decision to make that choice? How else can we judge others, other than by the choices thay make?

On Saturday I chose to wear my cowboy hat, thereby invoking the "looking like a pillock" law. A pub full of post Cup Final revellers chose to point this out as I pootled past. Fair comment, I'd say. At least I didn't have a flag up, or I'd have gone right off the scale.

How can flying a flag cause so much judging by others?

Whos the real pillock, the one flying the flag or the one doing the judging?

Really? So, when you encounter someone you've never met before, you go "Ooh, here's a new and interesting person I will learn all about them and decide if I like them". Or do you take one look at their Paul McCartney t-shirt and think "Twat".

I would say that someone with no judgement is quite probably a pillock.

Really? So, when you encounter someone you've never met before, you go "Ooh, here's a new and interesting person I will learn all about them and decide if I like them". Or do you take one look at their Paul McCartney t-shirt and think "Twat".

I would say that someone with no judgement is quite probably a pillock.

Again people can wear whatever clothing they wish. I prefer to judge people by who they really are not what they are wearing or what flag they fly.

Again people can wear whatever clothing they wish. I prefer to judge people by who they really are not what they are wearing or what flag they fly.

Very commendable. And how do you discover "who someone really is"? I shall expect a full interview, lie detector test and full reference check if ever we meet. I'll have my papers ready.

Very commendable. And how do you discover "who someone really is"? I shall expect a full interview, lie detector test and full reference check if ever we meet. I'll have my papers ready.

Shock shock horror horror

You talk to them. Communication is allowed, although you wouldnt think it in this day and age