Batter Charger

Water Woman

Featured Posts

I have always charged my batteries by running my engine for a couple of hours after work each evening. I am now on a mooring with a hook up which runs my 240 stuff. My problem is my battery charger. I don't know how long I ought to have it switched on for. Will it do any harm if I leave it on for too long? Will it 'overcharge' my batteries? I am sure I will get used to all this (it is only my third day) but I could do with pointing in the right direction. Thanks everyone.

Simple version, I hope.

What are you using for a battery charger, please ?

If it's labelled up as something like a "three stage" charger, then it is designed in such a manner as you can leave it permanently connected to your battery bank, as it is designed to go into a mode at the appropriate time that just keeps them topped up on a very light charge, without damaging them.

If however you are using a basic "car type" battery charger from Halfords (or similar), with no such sophistication, then leaving it connected would not be good for your batteries, as it will continue to attempt to put charge into them after a point you should not.

Do you have a make or model, or can you either say what it says on it, or post a picture, please ?

the difference could well be how much you paid for it - generally the "proper" chargers cost a lot more than those that are not really that suitable, unfortunately.

Are they as flat as a pancake?

I actually read "batter charger" as "banter charger" first time around! :lol:

It is a 'proper' one though.

If it is, you can leave it permanently connected.

I'd expect the instructions to say as much.

It will use very little mains power once it puts itself into a state where it is only delivering a small "keep them topped up" charged to the batteries.

Using it like this should keep your batteries alive longer, hopefully.....

Ok food eaten and battery charger checked. It is a Sterling Marine Power 4 stage charger. I have read the small print on the charger and I understand it a bit better now that I have read the replies on here. Once again thank you so much for helping me. I have never asked a question on here and not been helped. Ok I may have been teased a bit and given a bit of 'stick' but nothing more than friendly banter. I am learning every day to manage the boat alone and the journey from the K and A up to Cheshire (some by me some by wonderful helpers when I had to work) was a journey never to be forgotten, a learning curve and a half. Again, thanks x

Unless it "does a Sterling", and you end up needing a new one under warranty (!), then it will be fine - leave it connected all the time, and it will do what it works out it needs to.

They have masses of inbuilt "intelligence" compared to the things we all used to clip to car batteries years ago.

If however you are using a basic "car type" battery charger from Halfords (or similar), with no such sophistication, then leaving it connected would not be good for your batteries, as it will continue to attempt to put charge into them after a point you should not.

I have bought 2 'cheap' battery chargers from Halfords, presumably equating to 'basic car type' chargers.

They are both 3-stage chargers. I believe that is the norm these days.

So what is the difference between an expensive marine multi-step charger and a 'basic' Halfords charger?

I have bought 2 'cheap' battery chargers from Halfords, presumably equating to 'basic car type' chargers.

They are both 3-stage chargers. I believe that is the norm these days.

So what is the difference between an expensive marine multi-step charger and a 'basic' Halfords charger?

Well because one like this.....

Link to "Halfords up to 1800cc Battery Charger

makes no mention of it, and actually says.....

Fast/Slow charge options

my assumption would be that it is not.

That's what I was referring to as a "basic car type charger".

Am I wrong ?

EDITED TO SAY

Even this one....

Absaar Battery Charger (More Expensive)

says....

Starter Boost or Normal Charge

but nothing about multi-stage.

Edited by alan_fincher

Ok food eaten and battery charger checked. It is a Sterling Marine Power 4 stage charger. I have read the small print on the charger and I understand it a bit better now that I have read the replies on here. Once again thank you so much for helping me. I have never asked a question on here and not been helped. Ok I may have been teased a bit and given a bit of 'stick' but nothing more than friendly banter. I am learning every day to manage the boat alone and the journey from the K and A up to Cheshire (some by me some by wonderful helpers when I had to work) was a journey never to be forgotten, a learning curve and a half. Again, thanks x

It's a good idea to switch it off for 10 seconds and then back on again once a week rather than just leaving it on float the whole time. I use an electronic timer for this.

Sterlings do have their own function to run through a weekly charge cycle, but I think it only works if there is no charger activity for a week, and if you're living aboard there will be but probably not enough to get it to cycle.

I'd also check is that the dip switches on the charger are correctly set to your battery type. This is usually printed next to the tiny switches on the casing of Sterling chargers if you don't have the manual. They're probably correctly set already but you never know!

The only other thing to remember is to top up your batteries with de-ionised (or better distilled) water once every couple of months (assuming they're wet lead/acid).

Edited by blackrose

I seem to recall Chris W was impressed with it.

I seem to recall he said it was crap?

Julian has one and he said it was OK. I had a play with one in the workshop and it seemed fine.

I seem to recall he said it was crap?

Julian has one and he said it was OK. I had a play with one in the workshop and it seemed fine.

Ah memories, memories!

I miss the friendly banter. (I do, I really do!).

This thread for example, from about the post linked to.

Conclusion seemed to me that a B&D charger would be fine for most mere mortals, but didn't meet Chris' exacting requirements.

However, to be fair, he pointed out in some other threads, that some devices are combined charger and power pack - i.e. that they will effectively supply your on-board 12 volts directly, without your batteries getting depleted at all. Clearly the B&D is not in that league.

EDIT

------

With apologies to OP, who made it quite clear that she didn't want to get dragged down to that level of technical debate. :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

Ah memories, memories!

I miss the friendly banter. (I do, I really do!).

This thread for example, from about the post linked to.

Conclusion seemed to me that a B&D charger would be fine for most mere mortals, but didn't meet Chris' exacting requirements.

However, to be fair, he pointed out in some other threads, that some devices are combined charger and power pack - i.e. that they will effectively supply your on-board 12 volts directly, without your batteries getting depleted at all. Clearly the B&D is not in that league.

EDIT

------

With apologies to OP, who made it quite clear that she didn't want to get dragged down to that level of technical debate. :lol:

Ah it's all coming back to me now.

The B&D goes into float a bit too soon. But most chargers do that anyway. It's just a bit more of a problem with that unit. The rest of it was fine. Perhaps not up to the build quality of a Mastervolt or Victron, but not in the same price league either!

Overall I was quite impressed with it, certainly at that price.

"Powerpack mode" is marketing speak for "Doing what all three stage charger do and always have done but we'll add it on as a marketing phrase so we can call it 4 stage and make it look like they're getting more features". Honest, it really is. In other words it's complete bollocks.

The charger on Lionheart is a 1982 Statpower. It does it too. It's also "digital" - hardly a boast these days. Everything I design is "digital". Why? Because it's easier :lol:

"Powerpack mode" is marketing speak for "Doing what all three stage charger do and always have done but we'll add it on as a marketing phrase so we can call it 4 stage and make it look like they're getting more features". Honest, it really is. In other words it's complete bollocks.

Not always!

http://www.caravantechnology.com/CandL40ABatteryCharger.aspx

My 12v charger is a normal 3 stage charger, however if you switch off the batteries and press the button marked power supply on the remote head then it will supply up to 40amps of 12v DC to my systems.

It even runs the Mikuni MX60 only downside is that it uses adaptive charging but there are ways of getting over that.

I've never got my head around why folks buy a 3 or 4 stage charger and then leave it connected to shore power ALL WEEK

The essence of these units is that they put oodles of power into the batteries as quickly as reasonable.

Ummm - perhaps I should modify the above and say 3 or 4 stage high output charger.

If it's on all week then a cheaper 10 amp unit will do the job at its leisure.

I purchased one of Charles Stirling's budget 3 stage units and it does the job for me.

Having said that I also bought one of his posher boxes for another set of circumstances and that also delivers what I wanted.

Just my two pen'orth

I've never got my head around why folks buy a 3 or 4 stage charger and then leave it connected to shore power ALL WEEK

All week? Mine's been on more or less for 7 years.

Not always!

http://www.caravantechnology.com/CandL40ABatteryCharger.aspx

My 12v charger is a normal 3 stage charger, however if you switch off the batteries and press the button marked power supply on the remote head then it will supply up to 40amps of 12v DC to my systems.

It even runs the Mikuni MX60 only downside is that it uses adaptive charging but there are ways of getting over that.

And that is stage four of charging what?

And that is stage four of charging what?

I never said it was 4 stage charging but 3 stages with an added function of a power supply

The power supply mode doesn't work properly when the batteries are connected it reverts to being a 3 stage charger.

Even Sterling's technical info in their manuals never claimed Powerpack mode was the 4th stage.

What they actually say is that if the charger is on Float (stage 3) and its output is exceeded, then it will go back to Bulk (stage 1) and begin a full charge cycle.

I'm not sure if cheaper 3 stage chargers have this feature?

Edited by blackrose

Even Sterling's technical info in their manuals never claimed Powerpack mode was the 4th stage.

And I never mentioned Sterling.

Many others do say that is the fourth stage.

What they actually say is that if the charger is on Float (stage 3) and its output is exceeded, then it will go back to Bulk (stage 1) and begin a full charge cycle.

I'm not sure if cheaper 3 stage chargers have this feature?

I've never come across one that doesn't. It's no different really.... "If your batteries go flat it will start to charge them again". I should hope so too. I don't think it deserves being called "stage 4"!

I never said it was 4 stage charging but 3 stages with an added function of a power supply

The power supply mode doesn't work properly when the batteries are connected it reverts to being a 3 stage charger.

I'm curious to know what the advanatage is seeing as no one would have bought the battery charger if they didn't have some batteries :lol:

And I never mentioned Sterling.

No you didn't - I did!

You must stop thinking that we're all replying directly to you Gibbo! I hadn't even quoted you! Is this what they mean by self-centred, or are you getting paranoid?

I've never come across one that doesn't. It's no different really.... "If your batteries go flat it will start to charge them again". I should hope so too. I don't think it deserves being called "stage 4"!

I think you've deliberately misunderstood. I was talking about batteries on float charge not flat batteries.(I.e. It doesn't let them go flat in the first place)

If other chargers let the batteries go flat before kicking in then surely they're allowing the batteries to become damaged?

Edited by blackrose

No you didn't - I did!

You must stop thinking that we're all replying directly to you Gibbo! I hadn't even quoted you! Is this what they mean by self-centred, or are you getting paranoid?

"You must stop thinking that we're all replying..... " ?????????????

You speak for everyone do you?

Anyway, odd that you say that. You must stop thinking I'm always referring to Sterling. This isn't the first time you've done this. Are you paranoid?

I think you've deliberately misunderstood. I was talking about batteries on float charge not flat batteries.

The Sterling chargers invoke their "Step 4" (cough) when the battery voltage falls below a preset voltage (11.5 volts in their case).

As every other THREE stage charger I've ever come across does. Including my nearly 30 year old one.

"You must stop thinking that we're all replying..... " ?????????????

You speak for everyone do you?

Anyway, odd that you say that. You must stop thinking I'm always referring to Sterling. This isn't the first time you've done this. Are you paranoid?

The Sterling chargers invoke their "Step 4" (cough) when the battery voltage falls below a preset voltage (11.5 volts in their case).

As every other THREE stage charger I've ever come across does. Including my nearly 30 year old one.

You still don't get it - I want replying to you in the first place, I was just making a general comment!

No I don't speak for everyone, just those of us who you mistakenly assume are addressing you personally. :lol: