Is it actually possible to steer a narrowboat when going astern ? ! ?

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

Has a BCN double-ended day boat got a reverse direction?

Richard

And if one falls over in the forest, is it the sound of one hand clapping?

Edited to add some actual, sensible content:

Reversed all the way again on Wednesday, and only had to put the engine into forward gear to get straight twice. Of course, the friend of mine walking his dog turned up when I was somewaht skewed and had to get straight again... of course he missed the 200 metres before that of a straight line and a gentle curve!

The cross wind as I got slightly further out of town made things interesting, but I still managed it.

I think it's a good idea to practice this kind of thing. For example, in Northampton coming home from our summer cruise, I had to reverse a few hundred metres back to a mooring because contractors had blocked the river completely, and made a bit of a hash of it, although I got back in the end; and there's some moorings in St. Ives that require reversing 100m backwards down a plastic-cruiser lined channel. I can always do with the practice!

Edited by FadeToScarlet

• 6 months later...

When we visited Banbury recently we moored just past bridge 163, we then found out we had to turn back early, and discovered there`s no where to turn round unless you go through Banbury lock. We then had to queue up to go through the aforementioned (very busy) lock twice just to turn ! It took nearly two hours, and don`t forget it also meant all the other boaters having to wait that bit longer.

FRUSTRATION ! !

There`s a small marina before the lock, where I reckon we could have turned easily (the boat we were hiring was only 50ft) but I really didn`t want to get into a shouting match with the staff there, I was supposed to be relaxing on holiday !

I remembered what a few people on this thread had said, but reversing wasn`t really an option particularly as there were boats moored all the way alongside the canal back to the last winding hole, 300yards (and a bend) behind me.... In any case, being a hire boat I hadn`t had it long enough to work out how it handled in reverse, and I didn`t have a bucket !

I even considered asking a boater (going North) for a tow, but, again, having to do that is hardly relaxing either ! On the subject of which how often is this done ?

What would other boaters have done ?

One thing that has recently dawned on me is that there's no need to be scared of going fast backwards, because you can always stop. Still, anyone who wants a laugh is welcome to come and watch me negotiate backwards from above Braunston bottom lock to the marina next week.

Ariel will be going through Braunston and returning the day after. If you're still facing the wrong way and need to go backwards Kerry can take the tiller and repeat the antics of Ellesmere Port at Easter :)

Kerry has sent me some pictures of Chertsey under tow during the repositioning. I'll post them up later.

One thing that has recently dawned on me is that there's no need to be scared of going fast backwards, because you can always stop.

Try telling that to the steerer of Kestrel at Stoke Bruerne on Saturday!

It was reversing (fairly fast!) towards us, (we were about to leave the top lock), when, as I understand it, it's drive shaft broke away from the gearbox.

Got the adrenaline flowing for a bit, particularly as I was aware the front fender was removed from Sickle.......

Try telling that to the steerer of Kestrel at Stoke Bruerne on Saturday!

It was reversing (fairly fast!) towards us, (we were about to leave the top lock), when, as I understand it, it's drive shaft broke away from the gearbox.

Got the adrenaline flowing for a bit, particularly as I was aware the front fender was removed from Sickle.......

OK, barring mechanical breakdown, you can always stop....