300 miles of canal are opened up to anglers

Featured Posts

From Waterscape:

300 miles of canal are opened up to anglers

13th Apr 2010

British Waterways is making more than 300 miles of the national canal network available to angling clubs and individual anglers. The new Waterway Wanderers scheme launches on Thursday 15 April and will provide access to 122 previously unlicensed locations throughout England and Wales.

Waterway Wanderers covers those areas which are not already licensed to local angling clubs and the annual permits are priced at:

Adult: £20

Concessions: £10

Juniors: £5 (16 or under on the date of purchase)

What’s more, any adult who is a member of the Angling Trust is also entitled to £10 off the price of an annual permit. Day permits are available from Waterway Wanderers bailiffs on the bank at a cost of £5 and angling clubs who register in advance can join the Waterway Wanderers club scheme, which also entitles them to hold a set number of matches without peg fees.

British Waterways national fisheries manager, John Ellis says: “Canals are great for juniors just starting and experienced anglers alike. After a successful pilot in the North West I’m really pleased to be able to extend the Waterways Wanderers scheme to the rest of the country.”

John Harding, who will administer the scheme, says: “Waterways Wanderers plugs the gaps between those stretches of waterway which aren’t currently being let to clubs. This scheme will make fishing canals much easier and I’m looking forward to welcoming many more anglers to the waterways. “

Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust said: “Britain’s canals offer a fantastic resource for anglers of all abilities, in the countryside and inner city alike. Angling Trust adult members will be able to enjoy all that fishing for just £10 a year. We hope that this will encourage thousands of anglers to get out on the towpath and join the Angling Trust.”

Find out more information, including a list of the waters available on a Waterways Wanderers permit or contact John Harding on 01829 732 748 or j.harding048@btinternet.com

I've just been reading the small print of the Waterway Wanderers fishing rules and there is a phrase which I take great exception to:

“where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.”

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a “boating season”. Provided there are no stoppages I can and do boat throughout the year. I do not wish to compete for moorings with fishermen during a so-called boating closed season. Boaters should always have priority over fishermen at all times of the year on visitor moorings.

I've just been reading the small print of the Waterway Wanderers fishing rules and there is a phrase which I take great exception to:

“where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.”

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a “boating season”. Provided there are no stoppages I can and do boat throughout the year. I do not wish to compete for moorings with fishermen during a so-called boating closed season. Boaters should always have priority over fishermen at all times of the year on visitor moorings.

Do you remember when Eugene Baston used to contribute here? He stated that as far as he was concerned, speaking on behalf of BW, it was "first come first served" between fishermen and boaters even on lock mooring bollards during the summer.

That is a bit rich with your boat name

:lol:

When I used to go fishing the fish went on vacation, only thing I caught were sandsharks and blaasoppies (puffer fish) :lol:

We actually get a few Fish Eagles around here - they are beautiful birds and have a wonderful call.

Thanks for raising this. As a continuous cruiser I take exception to the term "boating season" too. As NABO continuous cruising rep I will be raising this subject at the NABO Council meeting this Saturday.

If I paid £20 per annum for my boat licence it would seem fair - but I pay rather more than that. :lol:

Personally I hope this will eventually lead to BW stopping the issueing of leases for fishing rights on their canals, meaning one national fishing licence/permit covering all BW canals.

Perhaps when you buy a rod licence it should allow you to fish any BW canal, easy then to check as the licence checkers already exist. Sort of a gold licence for anglers

Paul

Perhaps when you buy a rod licence it should allow you to fish any BW canal, easy then to check as the licence checkers already exist. Sort of a gold licence for anglers

This would be fair if the permit to fish anywhere on the canals costs the same as a 70' boat licence.

I think could potentially be a great idea. Once these permits have been sold BW could, over the course of maybe a weekend or a quiet week, drain the canals, collect up all the fish and distribute them equally among the permit holders. This would save the anglers the inconvenience of having to sit in the cold and wet for hours on end dangling a maggot on the end of a long stick on the hope of trying to catch them and, at the same time, enable boaters to go about their business unhindered by anglers on the banks and at locks. Everybody comes out on top. :lol:

Why?? :lol:

A fishing swim is what, 35' either side of the rod meaning the angler is using the same length of canal as a 70' boat.

Like boats, we won't take width into consideration because the angler needs the whole width whereas the boat requires, at most, 15'6, on BW waters so they'd actually be paying more.

The tow path requires more regular maintenance than any other piece of canal, or its furniture so why shouldn't all those who use the tow path pay as much as a boater does.

There are obvious difficulties with charging pedestrians and cyclists, to use the canals, but anglers, like boaters, have a simple mechanism to levy a charge, so why shoud they not pay their fair whack.

If you had a boat, of course, your angling licence could be included and (dare I say it) vice versa.

I think could potentially be a great idea. Once these permits have been sold BW could, over the course of maybe a weekend or a quiet week, drain the canals, collect up all the fish and distribute them equally among the permit holders. This would save the anglers the inconvenience of having to sit in the cold and wet for hours on end dangling a maggot on the end of a long stick on the hope of trying to catch them and, at the same time, enable boaters to go about their business unhindered by anglers on the banks and at locks. Everybody comes out on top. :lol:

Fantastic !!!!!!!!! :lol: