waiting at locks

sueb

Featured Posts

Completely over the top!

Even in the fiercest of locks, one paddle halfway up until the surge subsides, and then slowly to fully open is quite adequate.

Oh and unless you are in a full length boat, the strictures about not lifting gate paddles until the lock is half full are too restrictive. Provided a baffle is fitted, it is safe to slowly start to open the gate paddle as soon as the ground paddle is up.

In a narrow boat, I'll agree...

I will admit that in our new acquisition, a 23 foot yoghurt pot, we are likely to be seen being very timid for the first few...

Hopefully, soon, we'll be as blase as we always were with Ripple

In a narrow boat, I'll agree...

I will admit that in our new acquisition, a 23 foot yoghurt pot, we are likely to be seen being very timid for the first few...

Hopefully, soon, we'll be as blase as we always were with Ripple

You soon get the hang of it. Remember that your "yoghurt pot" isnt as fragile as you think it is.

You soon get the hang of it. Remember that your "yoghurt pot" isnt as fragile as you think it is.

I'm sure it's not, but I don't know how strong it is nor how much more it will move in a lock, weighing 1/17th of Ripple and taking 1/3rd the footprint )and being based on a waterway with wide locks!)

I'm determined to be derogatory about my boat before anyone else is, it even crossed my mind to rename it "Muller" or "Danone" :lol:

But Juno (the goddess) has two festivals, 7th July (my birthday) and September 13th (Our wedding anniversary)...

I'm sure it's not, but I don't know how strong it is nor how much more it will move in a lock, weighing 1/17th of Ripple and taking 1/3rd the footprint )and being based on a waterway with wide locks!)

I'm determined to be derogatory about my boat before anyone else is, it even crossed my mind to rename it "Muller" or "Danone" :lol:

But Juno (the goddess) has two festivals, 7th July (my birthday) and September 13th (Our wedding anniversary)...

Its a safe bet she will move around more than Ripple does, thats for sure. But if you rope her up front and back it really shouldnt be a problem. You may even be able to get away with just the one centre rope but watch the bow for swinging out and the stern swinging in and hitting the lock wall. For this reason, and from watching a friend single handing his S23 using a centre rope only, we always rope up front and rear. Makes her much easier to handle and control.

I used to be a 'bang 'em up and don't be a baby' merchant, but since seeing someone control the movement of the boat *perfectly* just using the paddles (wind it up a bit, wait for the boat to start to surge forward, then check its movement by winding the rest, which requires perfect timing and is different in every lock), I have tried to emulate this and as a result have looked like a right wimp to all onlookers. It's not that I mind banging about, I just want to master the skill.

Edited by Chertsey

It's a skill quickly learnt while single handing, with nobody on the boat fouses the mind and paddle control is the way! As said before, what you do with the paddles differs from canal to canal and lock to lock as they're all different. When you get the hang of it, it doesn't take much longer that 'whacking them all up'

It's a skill quickly learnt while single handing, with nobody on the boat fouses the mind and paddle control is the way! As said before, what you do with the paddles differs from canal to canal and lock to lock as they're all different. When you get the hang of it, it doesn't take much longer that 'whacking them all up'

I agree. The biggest time saving to be made is during the filling of of the top half of the lock when water pressure is lower - that is when all paddles need to be fully open. Taking it slowly during the first few feet of filling only loses a few seconds of time, and in many instances probably saves time if paddles have to be suddenly *dropped* due to ... (well you should know what I mean) ..............

• 5 months later...

'Calm down dear'

But I know what you mean! It infuriates me as well -

I now try and be patient at locks - honestly - but last year a young couple really had me seathing.

After I had waited quite a while for a boat to come out of a lock - I couldn't see into the lock but I knew there was one in there.

This lad appeared slowly PULLING the bloody boat out the lock, threading the rope around the lock gate and clambered down onto the towpath and jokeing said 'I like the exercise'.

Then pulls it up directly in front of me and blocking me in.

Now we have to wait for his dolly drip girlfriend to pick her way down to the towpath with her camera and high heels!

Its almost as bad as the women at supermarket checkouts who look totally suprised when the girl asks for money!

Then they fumble around looking for their purse as in shock - Have they stood there for minutes never expecting having to pay for the grocery's??

Alex

Its the ones who do that checkout bit on buses that annoy me, they are usually having a conversation on a mobile as well sorry :smiley_offtopic:

But yes agree that can be annoying at locks, happened to us loads of times but we just try ans stay chiled now.

Didn't realise there was such a rush...

:cheers:

With you on this one. If any of you are in a hurry I suggest you join Phylis and buy some tupperware this summer as I with 3 other boats are cruising all summer this year. We do not dawdle but we certainly are in no rush, thats for people still in the rat race going to work..... :D

:cheers:

With you on this one. If any of you are in a hurry I suggest you join Phylis and buy some tupperware this summer as I with 3 other boats are cruising all summer this year. We do not dawdle but we certainly are in no rush, thats for people still in the rat race going to work..... :D

Not all "tupperware" is quick and however much of a hurry you are in, if you find yourself in a queue for a lock then you have to wait. Unless of course, and here is the benefit of a smaller boat, you can squeeze yourself into a small space in the lock. ;)

You do have to be a little trusting that the steel boats wont crush you though. Although they tend to be the ones worrying about touching the "tupperware" in case it explodes or shatters or sinks :rolleyes: