umbrella tiller holder

MAIZEE

Featured Posts

Hi, has anyone bought one of those handles that fit on yout tiller and you can put an umbrella into it or even a clothes dryer......if so can you advise where you found it...thank you

Suggest you google miracle leisure products they do one, not used it tho :lol:

Hi, has anyone bought one of those handles that fit on yout tiller and you can put an umbrella into it or even a clothes dryer......if so can you advise where you found it...thank you

We have bought one from micacle products. It was not too expensive at £15 and is well made. You need a really strong umbrella in any sort of wind. The problem to me seems to be that an umbrella with a normal length handle seems to stick up rarther too far into the air. therefore much care is needed passing under low bridges. Having said this in many circumstances it's useful. Certainly it was yesterday while working in my engine bay in the pouring rain.

Hi

I use a simple adapter that fits into a tiller pin hole.

Bottom diameter is tiller pin hole and top diameter is a fit into the fishing umberella.

The clamp normaly for the extending piece holds it to the adaptor.

It's all held in place by an 'R' clip so it can be removed quickly for low bridges and lowered over the stern.

As it's been said its no good in high winds and make sure it isn't wider than the deck - could be a problem in narrow locks.

And by the way - we love it - a great idea

Alex

More expensive but...................buy the correct/proper wet weather gear. :lol:

Yes but you can use them for the sun (remember that shiny object in the sky!) I was at Nantwich last year we were sitting outside of the boat it was quite hot and that was around 5pm (does anyone remember that day?) the coolest place to sit was on the stern I wished then that I had my converted golf umberella holder then, it was worth the money just for that occasion.

I can never understand why strap it to the tiller, (which moves).

Generally, if you are standing in a hatch, (and don't move much), then you want to keep you and the hatchway dry, rather than whatever random bit of the boat that the umbrella happens to be "covering" as you steer.

It seems far more sensible to me to have some kind of mount fixed to the hatch or it's surround, and to know the "brolly" is always going to be above your head.

I've obviously missed some reasoning in the logic of creating a swinging shelter!

Generally, if you are standing in a hatch, (and don't move much), then you want to keep you and the hatchway dry, rather than whatever random bit of the boat that the umbrella happens to be "covering" as you steer.

It seems far more sensible to me to have some kind of mount fixed to the hatch or it's surround, and to know the "brolly" is always going to be above your head.

I've obviously missed some reasoning in the logic of creating a swinging shelter!

Hi

We have a cruiser stern and I couldn't think of any other way of mounting it that didn't get in the way.

Besides when you need to move the tiller well over it will come with you.

I will remember to avoid thunder storms Carlt - although if it's that bad we simply stop and find something to do inside. :lol: (I should be so lucky?)

Alex

There speaks a man without a cruiser stern!

On a practical note, there have been a few threads on the forum where the consensus IIRC was that it is dangerous to stand other than in front of the tiller arm. Not alongside it. Well, they convinced me, anyway.

In which case, the centre of the umbrella is going to be some way behind you.

This would seem to limit its effectiveness in keeping you dry.

Unless, I suppose, the wind is blowing from directly astern.

Bob.

On a practical note, there have been a few threads on the forum where the consensus IIRC was that it is dangerous to stand other than in front of the tiller arm. Not alongside it. Well, they convinced me, anyway.

In which case, the centre of the umbrella is going to be some way behind you.

This would seem to limit its effectiveness in keeping you dry.

Unless, I suppose, the wind is blowing from directly astern.

Bob.

Hi

You are ignoring the common sense factor.

To my knowledge the two accidents that swept the boater into the lock was to in-experienced holiday boaters.

After 8 years you can be sure I am very aware of the dangers of locks and ensuring that this could never happen to me.

We spend days sat on the stern rails behind the tiller, cruising. So slowly cruising whilst under the umberella poses no threat at all.

Alex

We have a trad stern..and I have welded a small piece of pipe on the back end of the hatch which takes a an umbrella, one of these that that you can keep up in a gale of wind, works well.

Guest wanted
Hi

To my knowledge the two accidents that swept the boater into the lock was to in-experienced holiday boaters.

After 8 years you can be sure I am very aware of the dangers of locks and ensuring that this could never happen to me.

We spend days sat on the stern rails behind the tiller, cruising. So slowly cruising whilst under the umberella poses no threat at all.

Alex

Can I borrow your future specs! :lol:

We have a cruiser stern and I couldn't think of any other way of mounting it that didn't get in the way.

Besides when you need to move the tiller well over it will come with you.

There speaks a man without a cruiser stern!

Sorry, yes, my remarks did relate to "trad" sterns, (if only because the advertising I have seen for these tiller mounted umbrellas seem to show a trad stern).

Yes, it could work better on a "cruiser", although in my experience many cruiser sterns have significantly lower set tillers than "trads", and anybody tall might find themselves either stooping or in need of a particularly long umbrella.

I still don't see why you would use one with a "trad", but sorry for the confusion.

Yes but you can use them for the sun (remember that shiny object in the sky!) I was at Nantwich last year we were sitting outside of the boat it was quite hot and that was around 5pm (does anyone remember that day?) the coolest place to sit was on the stern I wished then that I had my converted golf umberella holder then, it was worth the money just for that occasion.

Ha i think I was there, certainly we were on our last legs of the 4 counties ring at Nantwich on 13th Aug last year, we had set out on the 29th July having seen 2 weeks of terrible weather but as we set off the sun was cracking the flags and did so for 17 days, brilliant holiday..

May I just add that i actually want the umbrella holder for a clothes dryer, just in case...that will cause a stir!!!!

Hi

Alex

No, I was very much employing the common sense factor.

The reason many contributors to the forum advocated never standing other than in front of the tiller is that otherwise if you suck something like a log into the propeller/rudder area and the rudder is knocked hard over, so will be the tiller arm.

You do not need to be in-experienced, a hirer, or in a lock for this to happen.

Of course, none of this appllies to the clothes drier function which I am assumimg will only be in use when the boat is moored.

However, I now await the posting of a photo showing a boat under way with one of these clothes airers in use!

Bob.

The reason many contributors to the forum advocated never standing other than in front of the tiller is that otherwise if you suck something like a log into the propeller/rudder area and the rudder is knocked hard over, so will be the tiller arm.

Of course, none of this appllies to the clothes drier function which I am assumimg will only be in use when the boat is moored.

However, I now await the posting of a photo showing a boat under way with one of these clothes airers in use!

Bob.

Hi

The major cause of these deaths was due to the boat being in reverse when hitting the rear gate with the rudder, while the prop was still turning, trapping them in the corner of the gates.

I am far from convinced that being behind the tiller, in normal cruising, constitutes any danger.

If for any obscure reason you are swept over, the chances are that the boat will have moved a good few feet forward before you hit the water.

Of course you might break a leg on the way, you might bang your head on the way, you might even have an heart attack - who knows. but I am certain non of this is likely.

The poor sods on trad sterns must have a death wish.

In fact it is probably more dangerous to cross a road.

I would consider using lock ladders as being far more dangerous, but I still do - with due care.

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Bob.

Like this?

dsc02680a.jpg