HELP PLEASE....PRIMER

Featured Posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD QUALITY PRIMER I CAN USE ???

I AM TAKING OFF 8 LAYERS OF PAINT (BRUTE FORCE) AND THEN USING VACTAN......

WHAT SHOULD I USE FOR A PRIMER...I HAVE MY RED OXIDE AT THE READY!

IMG_3392.jpg

THANKS

Hi

I used to pleased with the results of Red oxide, but recently have favoured the grey high build zinc primers

Alex

Ps - You're still SHOUTING

Edited by steelaway

Hi

I used to pleased with the results of Red oxide, but recently have favoured the grey high build zinc primers

Alex

Ps - You're still SHOUTING

Interesting, my paint is now falling off the roof in handfulls and one of the suggested reasons is using a zink primer and not a "marine" one

I have been very pleased with the metal paints from Rustoleum: http://www.rustoleum.co.uk/products/primers

Their *CombiPrimer - Anti Rust* and *CombiColour* are, in my experience, very good and they adhere well on top of Owatrol Oil.

Phil

PS - This isn't an advert - I have no connection with the company.

When we 'did' the Palace Pier, Brighton 25 years ago, we used Leyland Micaeceous(?) Iron Oxide primer, doesn't appear to have 'moved' since. Rustoleum or Jotul are what we used on the rigs when I worked for Brown and Root at Nigg Yard in the 1970s but I think that maybe made to a somewhat higher spec. than you would need :lol: but beware red oxide comes in many guises, most of them crap.

Another vote for Micaceous iron - I've used some, which was made by Sterling Paints in Manchester, on a galvanised steel garden shed.

This stuff is used up and down the land to paint transmission towers (sorry - electricity pylons) by such as National Grid Co.

Unfortunately it's probably difficult to get hold of in less than trade quantities and I only got mine by swapping a good turn for a friend when we both worked for NG!

Richard

Interesting, my paint is now falling off the roof in handfulls and one of the suggested reasons is using a zink primer and not a "marine" one

Zinc Phosphate primer alone will not be responsible for this problem. There is, for sure at least one other factor that has caused a lack of intercoat adhesion such as you describe. I have used Zinc primers for the last thirty years and have NEVER had a case such as yours. Micro-blistering on four boats we have painted of late certainly, but we are now getting an understanding of what has gone on both through our own investigations and those of another manufacturer and through the BMF`s interim report on the subject - with the author of which I have had an interesting and constructive discussion since the report was published.

Some zinc-primers are more suitable than others ( equally true of "oxides" )but it still needs other influencies if it is going to micro-blister let alone allow the finishing coats to "fall off" - something that is very difficult to blame on a material defect - although I`m sure there are those who will .

I don`t want to get drawn into a discussion now. There have been significant problems with paint finishes of late , as is no secret on this group and elsewhere . Much effort has been gone to by many people to nail the reasons , and it is still going on with increasing amounts of co-operation between

manufacturers and independant analysts. When all is done I`ll be sure to honestly report their findings here and elsewhere.

Good luck

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight