Unreasonable?

mayalld

Featured Posts

My reading of the human rights act makes no reference to a right to rape or pillage. So I must, relucantly, disagree. As for being contrary, contrary to what? Like my response to Mr Fairies above, your post title says it all;

unreasonable? Yes, you are being unreasonable.

unreasonable about the music - yes - you couldn't resist could you - i might also find your playing of Nessund Dorma at concert hall volume more 'obtrusive than others' but I will not complain if that is your taste. (Please excuse the pun)

so unreasonable about the noise level - yes - rural area? gosh. Is there a sign at the outskirts of Manchester or whichever grimy northern conurbation you inhabit saying 'SHHH'. If a tractor had gone by at 6 in the morning would you be posting 'unreasonable?' on this forum?

unreasonable about the time? - yes - whereas your body clock might have been trained in line with worker's expected diurnal rhythm you have no right to impose that on anyone else.

Further you have stated that you complained about the boater to BW - even though you could only identify the boat, not the boater - this, along with the alleged removal of the gate, are the only things unreasonable.

Militant vegatarians? Does that make you a militant sleeper? If mr Rivendell (and a less appropriate match of boat name to owner i have never come across) has a right to burn flesh, and I agree he does, then I have a right to engage in lawful recreational pursuits too.

You do remind me of him. He was quite infamous for a while.

Having considered the lengths of your posts in trying to defend your stance on this matter ..........................I think you should get out more!!!

Having considered the lengths of your posts in trying to defend your stance on this matter ..........................I think you should get out more!!!

Not at all Mr Fairy. I was trying to be polite. But I'm bored with that. So it's back to the old style - pithy but terse wit :lol:

That is merely your opinion. Mine is that these people were being unreasonable. If it is unreasonable to run a generator after 8pm then it is unreasonable to play loud music until the early hours.

I think that your posts do not reflect your true opinions but show your ardent desire to disagree with Dave.

Crap. They are my truly held views and even Dave would point out the difference between a generator (illegal and likely nightly) and a party (legal and a one off)

And if I was expecting a quiet night sleep in a rural spot I might be a bit miffed but that doesn't make the party wrong.

You are entitled to you opinion. Dave is entitled to be wrong most of the time. I am entitled to disagree.

unreasonable? Yes, you are being unreasonable.

unreasonable about the music - yes - you couldn't resist could you - i might also find your playing of Nessund Dorma at concert hall volume more 'obtrusive than others' but I will not complain if that is your taste. (Please excuse the pun)

so unreasonable about the noise level - yes - rural area? gosh. Is there a sign at the outskirts of Manchester or whichever grimy northern conurbation you inhabit saying 'SHHH'. If a tractor had gone by at 6 in the morning would you be posting 'unreasonable?' on this forum?

unreasonable about the time? - yes - whereas your body clock might have been trained in line with worker's expected diurnal rhythm you have no right to impose that on anyone else.

Further you have stated that you complained about the boater to BW - even though you could only identify the boat, not the boater - this, along with the alleged removal of the gate, are the only things unreasonable.

Militant vegatarians? Does that make you a militant sleeper? If mr Rivendell (and a less appropriate match of boat name to owner i have never come across) has a right to burn flesh, and I agree he does, then I have a right to engage in lawful recreational pursuits too.

You do remind me of him. He was quite infamous for a while.

Well, I hope that you've calmed down a little now.

It isn't a matter of taste in music. It is a matter of playing loud music late into the night in a location where people have a legitimate expectation of quiet overnight.

I think most reasonable people would consider those views to be unreasonable.

"Is there a sign at the outskirts of Manchester or whichever grimy northern conurbation you inhabit saying 'SHHH'.

And that is just inflammatory. "Please keep this debate nice and polite and refrain from personal attacks . . ."

is it? Gosh. What a sensitive flower you are.

And if you think I am unreasonable examine the antithesis; any party that plays music you don't like to 2.30am is wrong. Most of the replies to the topic seem to take issue with that statement.

All except the usual whingers.

Well, I hope that you've calmed down a little now.

It isn't a matter of taste in music. It is a matter of playing loud music late into the night in a location where people have a legitimate expectation of quiet overnight.

Legitimate expectation? What drugs are you on?

There might be a legitimate expectation that you can go into the middle of nowhere and party without some middle age gnome-lover kicking up a fuss.

If only Bugsworth Basin were the middle of nowhere! It's not, at the basin it's the equivalent of partying in a camp site or caravan site, and there are residences nearby, in one instance, the pub, whoe landlord would be up early next morning getting ready for the days trade.

Middle of nowhere means that, wild camping in a forrest or, in a canal context, an isolated mooring away from other boats.

I haven't counted, but I'd say more posters are on Dave's side than agin him

Ah it is good to see that even after my recent long absence the traditions of the board still continue unabated :lol:

as for the question posed in the OP well personally I would have gone over chatted for a while and made a friendly request that the noise was kept down to a dull roar

If they had persisted then at that point, and at that point only would their behaviour have become "unreasonable"...........mildly so at worst and worthy of no more than a tongue in cheek whinge on the boards in case they were actually reading.

Like most people I guess I have on occasion been loud, inebriated and slightly (if not more so) inconsiderate of others nearby.......especially at parties.

Like most people if approached in a friendly manner then I would at least try to reduce my impact on others

Not always I admit but mostly

Being of a natuarlly evil bent, I would, had I been disturbed enough the night before , have tootled up to their boat JUST after dawn in my own and sat close alongside during an extended test of my engine.

With my stereo on loud

I'm friendly that way :lol:

Middle of nowhere means that, wild camping in a forrest or, in a canal context, an isolated mooring away from other boats.

I had only Dave's 'quiet location' to go by.

And i think you may be misled by the usual vociferous minority banging on. My impression was the opposite.

Edited by Chris Pink

is it? Gosh. What a sensitive flower you are.

And if you think I am unreasonable examine the antithesis; any party that plays music you don't like to 2.30am is wrong. Most of the replies to the topic seem to take issue with that statement.

All except the usual whingers.

Interesting line in statistics.

Anybody who disagrees with you is one of "the usual whingers", and their opinion is discounted, ensuring that "most" replies support your view.

Legitimate expectation? What drugs are you on?

There might be a legitimate expectation that you can go into the middle of nowhere and party without some middle age gnome-lover kicking up a fuss.

And again with the abuse. Didn't we already establish that I don't own any gnomes.

And since when is a small village in rural Derbyshire "the middle of nowhere". I appreciate that you have limited knowledge of areas outside your own back garden, but Bugsworth isn't in the middle of nowhere, and anybody mooring there would expect other boats to be around (indeed we were around before the party boat arrived).

anybody mooring there would expect other boats to be around (indeed we were around before the party boat arrived).

Well there you go Dave, 'petard' 'hoisted'.

You went there in the expectation that there would be other boats. Why did you expect them to fit in with your world view?

Well there you go Dave, 'petard' 'hoisted'.

You went there in the expectation that there would be other boats. Why did you expect them to fit in with your world view?

Because it is a location that we visit often, and at which we don't habitually encounter such behaviour.

So far, you seem to be saying that it is OK to hold a loud party until 2:30am in a remote location, and that if we moor where we expect other boats to moor, it is also OK for the other boats to hold parties until 2:30am.

Given that more boaters are looking for peace and quiet than are looking to hold loud late night parties, are there any locations on the network where you feel that the wishes of those seeking peace and quiet can be accomodated?

I had only Dave's 'quiet location' to go by.

Nonsense!

I named the location. There is a great deal of information about the location available online.

Given that more boaters are looking for peace and quiet than are looking to hold loud late night parties, are there any locations on the network where you feel that the wishes of those seeking peace and quiet can be accomodated?

Yes dear, Bugworth Basin.

Just not every single time you roll up there.

Get a life, do. You seem to, once again, expect that every other body in the whole wide world will simply roll over and behave exactly like you want.

Chris, it isn't just about whether you like the music, here is a list of some of my favourite tracks

Roots - Show of Hands

Uncommercial Song - Oysterband

Green Grow the Issues oh - Keith Donnelly and Flossie Mallaviale

(The first two can be found on you tube)

When these come on in the car on the motorway the volume goes up to ten (assuming I'm on my own in the car). They are all LOUD tracks, but I don't want to her them at 2am if I'm trying to sleep.

Chris, it isn't just about whether you like the music, here is a list of some of my favourite tracks

Roots - Show of Hands

Uncommercial Song - Oysterband

Green Grow the Issues oh - Keith Donnelly and Flossie Mallaviale

(The first two can be found on you tube)

When these come on in the car on the motorway the volume goes up to ten (assuming I'm on my own in the car). They are all LOUD tracks, but I don't want to her them at 2am if I'm trying to sleep.

You are wasting your breath/time MP

Mr Pink's on a roll.

Dave is the one that made reference to his objection to the music.

I cannot count the number of times I have been annoyed or inconvenienced by other people music or other people's noise. If it is an isolated incident then i do not see the point of moaning to the world on an internet forum and complaining to BW - what are they supposed to do FFS? 'You can't have a licence because you don't like Neil Diamond' I know Dave stretches the 1995 Act but even he can't read musical taste into it.

Dave "I am the Queen and I WILL be obeyed" Mayall cannot expect to have things his own way all the time.

If this boat followed him around aiming techno at him on a specially designed speaker system then he might have a point but to turn up at a public place and expect people to follow his code of conduct - it just ain't going to happen.

Enough.

I cannot count the number of times I have been annoyed or inconvenienced by other people music or other people's noise. If it is an isolated incident then i do not see the point of moaning to the world on an internet forum and complaining to BW - what are they supposed to do FFS? 'You can't have a licence because you don't like Neil Diamond' I know Dave stretches the 1995 Act but even he can't read musical taste into it.

Dave "I am the Queen and I WILL be obeyed" Mayall cannot expect to have things his own way all the time.

If this boat followed him around aiming techno at him on a specially designed speaker system then he might have a point but to turn up at a public place and expect people to follow his code of conduct - it just ain't going to happen.

Enough.

I think you have summed it up Chris. No one likes being disturbed and most people just want a peaceful life.

Unfortunately life is not like that how ever hard one might try to find utopia, on this over populated island we dwell on, it aint gonna happen.

I would still like to see the photos.

Enough.

Because an internet forum is a way of testing whether your feelings are justified. Not a very good one admittedly, I'm sure (I haven't checked) that there are forums somewhere discussing the wisdom of having sex with your mother in law, and on them there will be some nutter shouting "go for it"

When I've been aggrieved I've sometimes looked for reassurance that I wasn't in the wrong, if my ex-wife had done the same we might still be married, as I got several "she's got a point you know" comments back and she remained convinced of her rightness. I know what you are now going to say, MD remains convinced anyway, but to be honest, so do you.

Dave made his point over the pillaging Vikings, you are being argumentative. So am I, but at least I acknowledge it, and Dave's, deliberate exaggeration of your perspective made me smile, shame you didn't see it.

Enough.

Yes, I commented that I didn't like the music.

Perhaos if they were playing music that I liked, I might have found the inconsiderate playing of it late into the night less irksome, but it is very much an aside to the fact that I think it unreasonable to hold loud late night parties at a popular and peaceful mooring spot.

I don't contend that the 1995 Act is relevant here. I would contend that the bye-laws have been breached, and more to the point I would contend that anybody who behaves with such scant regard for other people (regardless of the legality of it) is somebody who deserves contempt.

Guest wanted

Would now be a good time to point out that the party has ended? I have it on good authority that a good time was had by (most) all and that they really don't care what is now being discussed!

:lol:

Would now be a good time to point out that the party has ended? I have it on good authority that a good time was had by (most) all and that they really don't care what is now being discussed!

:lol:

Have you asked them whether they care?