BW may refuse to licence boats

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Just read that BW are considering refusing to licence boats unless the owner can prove that they have a permanent residence on the land or have an approved 'residential mooring'. It appears to me that, if enacted, this could be a real problem for many continuous cruisers and live-aboards . . .

Why is this targetting continuous cruisers?

I lived on an off-side, long term mooring for 8 years and my "address" was the Stop House or Braunsto P.O. so, presumably, unless I furnished them with a fake address, I would have been refused a licence.

If this is the case, and people are not willing to break the rules by offering a fake address, then it will affect far more boaters than a handful of ccers.

Its not rocket science to get around.

It's the old "get around the rules" scenario again, though.

If the rules are so easy to get around then what is the point in having them?

Its not rocket science to get around. Get yourself on the electoral register at your parents/relatives/friends house.

My parents live in the Netherlands. Would that be acceptable to BW?

Why don't the continuous cruisers club together, and buy a knockdown semi on some derelict council estate. Or will there be a limit on how many peole may live together at the same address?

Is this perhaps more aimed at those who live permanently on 'Non-residential' moorings, in marinas etc, ?

Where did you read it?

I have no idea how they'll get away with it.

It's essentially banning continual cruising.

Page 43 of the latest edition of 'Waterways' (IWA Magazine) - part of an email entitled 'Threat to Free Moorings' from Mike Allen.

Why don't the continuous cruisers club together, and buy a knockdown semi on some derelict council estate. Or will there be a limit on how many peole may live together at the same address?

If these rules are implemented then wouldn't a "paper residence" be just as bad as a "paper mooring"?

Why is this targetting continuous cruisers?

I lived on an off-side, long term mooring for 8 years and my "address" was the Stop House or Braunsto P.O. so, presumably, unless I furnished them with a fake address, I would have been refused a licence.

If this is the case, and people are not willing to break the rules by offering a fake address, then it will affect far more boaters than a handful of ccers.

It's the old "get around the rules" scenario again, though.

If the rules are so easy to get around then what is the point in having them?

Absolutely agree with you Carl . .

and so I wonder why BW are (allegedly) looking to do this . . .

Is there some other organisation that's forcing their hand I wonder?

(Though I'm sure that BW are more than capable of founding and populating their very own 'Red-herring Club)

I seem to remember that at the last BW meeting I went to it was said that BW will be looking to "regularise" their moorings, i.e. move off the liveaboards unless they can get PP and turn the mooring into a proper residential one. In Practice this means the only those that have been on their moorings over 10 years will get it with ease, the others will have to fight. This will obviously mean that once a mooring is an RM BW can charge more........

I believe that BW, when they have done their moorings will follow with marina and offside moorings.

Ho Hum

I can see no reason why anyone should not be able to provide a contact address. The boat should be insured, be up to date with certificates and the owner paying some sort of council tax. I get fed up with scroungers and benefit cheats who try to live a life with the rest of us paying for it, be it in caravan, boat or whatever. My area has currently got still high unemployment, yet day after day I watch familes who are into third generation of unemployment boozing, smoking, in the betting office, wearing designer clothing ....... and we are paying for that!

I was reading the Sun this morning in the barbers, well, looking at the pictures, and there was an interesting breakdown of the 25% of the adult population of working age who are not working. I'm afraid I can't remember the figures but I seem to remember that the long-term sick was the biggest group. I am one of the 550,000 early retirees. Guilty as charged (although not feeling the least bit guilty).

edited to say that this is an off topic response to the previous post and I'm one of 600,000 retirees, and the biggest group is students, followed by home carers, followed by long term sick.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...-paid-work.html

Edited by journeyperson

Just read that BW are considering refusing to licence boats unless the owner can prove that they have a permanent residence on the land or have an approved 'residential mooring'. It appears to me that, if enacted, this could be a real problem for many continuous cruisers and live-aboards . . .

Clearly that would be a nonsense.

I suspect that the information is incomplete, and that what is proposed is that boats will be licenced only if;

• The owner can provide a permanent residence on land
  • The boat is moored at a location that has PP for residential use
  • The boat is licenced as a CCer

Perhaps BW want an address to post the licence to.

I don't see it as unreasonable that BW should require people to provide an address where post can be sent to them.

I had an address but it was "The Stophouse, Braunston" or the Braunston P.O.

If I'd had to provide a residential address I would have had to lie.

I don't see it as unreasonable that BW should require people to provide an address where post can be sent to them.

Maybe thats because you have one. if you did not you would have to then lie about your address and that may not sit well with some people

I wonder where they'll find the Parliamentary time to get the amending order for the '95 Act?

I'll eat my hat if this comes through. It will be wholly unlawful without an amendment and they know it.