planning objection?

sueb

Featured Posts

This is a unique unaltered toll house in a prominent position. If this goes ahead it will look as bad as the lock keepers houses on the Stratford canal. What do others think?

Whilst the plans are on-line for all to see, they don't give any site plans. The changes look like they're mainly the rear/rear RHS and I doubt there'd be much impact from the Braunston side. The same can't be said of the view from the Watford/Leicester side.

I would imagine one could only object if it's a listed building - it ought to be! Have never been on the Stratford so can't compare. I doubt the architects, however, are 'Prince of Wales' approved. :lol:

Whilst the plans are on-line for all to see, they don't give any site plans. The changes look like they're mainly the rear/rear RHS and I doubt there'd be much impact from the Braunston side. The same can't be said of the view from the Watford/Leicester side.

I would imagine one could only object if it's a listed building - it ought to be! Have never been on the Stratford so can't compare. I doubt the architects, however, are 'Prince of Wales' approved. :lol:

Ah - but is (allegedly) has the blessing of (an 'erbert from) British Waterways

- - so it's got to be dubious!

Unfourtunatly there a re fair number of historic buildings about that are falling down due to being unsuitable for todays world.

I do not have a problem with modifying a building if it means that the building is saved rather than being razed to the ground.. Ok in an ideal world the building would be left in it original condition but alas this is not possible in many cases.

One thing I would say is though is that where possible alterations should be hidden from at least one angle - preferably the most photogenic side - so at least a flavour of the original configuration can be maintained.

I'm in two minds about this - I know what Sue means regarding the building on the Stratford. You're lucky to make out the old barrel roof in some... but that's progress for ya, and if it means a building doesn't become derelict because it's actually needed, maybe it's not all bad. Dunno whether I think it's good or bad. :lol:

And on that Liberal undecisive utterly useless note...

Unfourtunatly there a re fair number of historic buildings about that are falling down due to being unsuitable for todays world.

I do not have a problem with modifying a building if it means that the building is saved rather than being razed to the ground.. Ok in an ideal world the building would be left in it original condition but alas this is not possible in many cases.

One thing I would say is though is that where possible alterations should be hidden from at least one angle - preferably the most photogenic side - so at least a flavour of the original configuration can be maintained.

This building is in no danger of falling down, it is in very good order. BW restored it from a run down building to turn it into a holiday cottage. BW later on decided to sell it. The extension will be observable both from the Leicester line and coming up from Buckby towards the junction.

Sue

I assume this is the building you are talking about:

Richard

Wrong building (isn't yours Kings Norton?).

It appears to relate to the beautiful little cottage on the north side of the junction. It would be a terrible shame to make such a major change to it.

Clicky

Edited by Keeping Up

If I remember correctly this is now owned by a young couple,(we saw them doing a bit of garden tidying up sometime ago.

They probably need an extension for a growing family. Not seen the plans, hopefully they will be 'in keeping' with the rest of the building.

Martyn

PS. Remember thinking "that is a nice place to live"

If I remember correctly this is now owned by a young couple,(we saw them doing a bit of garden tidying up sometime ago.

They probably need an extension for a growing family. Not seen the plans, hopefully they will be 'in keeping' with the rest of the building.

Martyn

PS. Remember thinking "that is a nice place to live"

Full application HERE and amended plans HERE, both as pdf files. You'll need Adobe Acrobat to see them.

On a second look, the extension doesn't look too bad, but it is big in comparison to the original.

This building is in no danger of falling down, it is in very good order. BW restored it from a run down building to turn it into a holiday cottage. BW later on decided to sell it. The extension will be observable both from the Leicester line and coming up from Buckby towards the junction.

Sue

I was only generalising. Its true that as well as a number of buildings falling into disrepair due to their unsuitability there are also a lot of buildings that are the subject of unsypathetic alterations which from what I can make out is what this thread is all about.

Unfourtunatly it is a sad fact of life that there is money to be made by demolishing or modifying our heritage and building new.

Still it could be worse thank goodness for listed building status!

Sue

It was used as what was probably the last Salvation Army outreach on the canal system by Brigadier & Mrs Fielding, Friends of my parents.

They used to fly the Salvation Army flag outside the cottage and if I remember right had a couple of models on display in the garden

It was used as what was probably the last Salvation Army outreach on the canal system by Brigadier & Mrs Fielding, Friends of my parents.

They used to fly the Salvation Army flag outside the cottage and if I remember right had a couple of models on display in the garden

Originally when it ceased to be used as the Toll Office, it was leased to the Salvation Army as a store. When the Fieldings retired they were allowed to live in it. (& continued to fly the flag for the Salvation Army). It has been used as a holiday let for many years, but with incredibly limited days of operation so it was underused. See Waterways World Oct. 1979. Fred Fielding died in 1987.

Lovely building... whatever. I'd like to see it stay upright, whatever the parameters of that possibility.

I don't think there is any danger of it falling into disrepair. It just annoys me that part of the canal heritage is so under valued that it is sold off by BW and then cannibalised by subsequent owners.

Sue