Simple 4 Burner Hob (With FFD) Recommendations Please.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We are about to commence a kitchen refit.

Although our trusty Vanette 4 burner hob still works fine, I consider it worth replacing it with one with flame failure devices.

Our ideal hob would be similar in size to the Vanette, with burners laid out as a square, and probably still best with controls at the side, rather than front.

We'll probably go for a stainless styeel finish. Ones where the burners have a selection of sizes, rather than all the same might be a plus point.

It mustn't need 240 volts to actually function, but I could live with one that nominally had 240 volt driven igniters, but simply continuing to light with something else.

Vanettes ceased production, I know, and although it seems to have been replaced by a Stoves model, I'm not convinced that has a long term future for spares, even if you can find a new one being sold.

Chandlers seem to offer largely Spinflo and Belling - neither apparently that dissimilar from a Vanette, either in layout or in operation.

But there also appear to be many hobs on the open (non marine) market that come with jets to convert to LPG use, and which sport flame failure devices. Both Bosch and Baumatic, for example seem to do them, and some look rather nicer and more solid than the purely marine / caravan offerings.

So can people defintely recommend, (or recommend against), any particular model, please ?

So what do you have, and what are it's good and bad points ?

Two specific questions, please ?

1) Where a model says it needs 240 volts, is that purely for igniters, and can they run with no mains supply connected ? - Any exceptions to this ?

2) I have read about two types of FFDs, and some marketing stuff says "Flame failure Devices suitable in Treland", and the like. In this context if a model is advertised with FFDs, is that all I need o worry about, or is there, (as I have seen implied) more than one type of FFD ?

Although our trusty Vanette 4 burner hob still works fine, I consider it worth replacing it with one with flame failure devices.

Our ideal hob would be similar in size to the Vanette, with burners laid out as a square, and probably still best with controls at the side, rather than front.

We'll probably go for a stainless styeel finish. Ones where the burners have a selection of sizes, rather than all the same might be a plus point.

It mustn't need 240 volts to actually function, but I could live with one that nominally had 240 volt driven igniters, but simply continuing to light with something else.

Vanettes ceased production, I know, and although it seems to have been replaced by a Stoves model, I'm not convinced that has a long term future for spares, even if you can find a new one being sold.

Chandlers seem to offer largely Spinflo and Belling - neither apparently that dissimilar from a Vanette, either in layout or in operation.

But there also appear to be many hobs on the open (non marine) market that come with jets to convert to LPG use, and which sport flame failure devices. Both Bosch and Baumatic, for example seem to do them, and some look rather nicer and more solid than the purely marine / caravan offerings.

So can people defintely recommend, (or recommend against), any particular model, please ?

1) Where a model says it needs 240 volts, is that purely for igniters, and can they run with no mains supply connected ? - Any exceptions to this ?

2) I have read about two types of FFDs, and some marketing stuff says "Flame failure Devices suitable in Treland", and the like. In this context if a model is advertised with FFDs, is that all I need o worry about, or is there, (as I have seen implied) more than one type of FFD ?

Hello Alan,

I bought a two burner hob from Ikea for not too many pennies. I'm waiting for the engineer to fit it, but he says it'll be fine. I think (could be wrong) that Ikea own brand is made by Whirlpool and is pretty solid.

It was a lot cheaper than any other 'domino' style hob I could find.Linky

It came complete with FFD but all gas hobs should now due to changes in the building regs regarding multiple occupancy rules on flats. It will work without the 230v according to the engineer but as it's not installed yet I can't say any more. However, the design you specified is £89. Mine was £99 but with a voucher from Ikea Family (serial offender in Ikea) cost the princely sum of £69. It's going to cost twice that to get it fitted!

Good luck,

Jx

PS Don't buy a Neff ever. I've cooked on lots of different hobs, commercial and domestic, not good value for money and vile to use and clean, but then I do punish cookers through heavy duty cooking!

Hi

We bought a Whirlpool (?) from Ikea very cheaply.

It meets all your reqirements and is not too big.

It does have a 240 ignition but only takes mA to use. You can use it without 240v.

Highly recomended.

Ikea

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Hi

It does have a 240 ignition but only takes mA to use. You can use it without 240v.

Highly recomended.

Ikea

Alex

Yeah, I'd go for IKEA too - we bought a two burner stainless hob. Cheap as chips and came with lpg jets and ffd. Ignite it either with 240v or a match.

Although our purchase last year was a free-standing oven rather than a separate hob, I did discover a few things.

As Wriggly says, since UK law now requires all devices to have FFD when installed in a flat, if it says it is suitable for use in a UK flat then it will be suitable for use in a boat. It may be different in Irish law though.

This means you can purchase from anywhere that sells domestic hobs. I found the one I wanted at Curry's (£100 than the far-inferior ones at the chandlers) and then bought it from one of the major on-line stores for £100 less than the Curry's price.

On a hob, I am sure that the absence of 240v would only affect the ignition. For info though, not relevant to your question but possibly of use to others, I was surprised to discover that our cooker has a small 240v fan which comes on when the grill or oven have been on for a while. As it's not a fan oven, I asked Cannon about it; they told me it is triggered by a temperature sensor, and its function is to blow cold air through and thus keep the control knobs from getting too hot. They assured me that it was still OK to use it without 240v, but that if the knobs got too hot to touch then that was my problem.

I bought an AEG - 4 burner stainless steel with FFD. Came with 240v ignition, but replaced the spark generator with one for a Stoves cooker as they work off a 1.5v battery, I use a D cell. Spark generator bought from Espares. Our 20 yr old Moffat in house came with a 1.5v battery spark generator and D cell requires replacing every 10 years or so.

we have a four burner hob (can't rmember make) which works fine, the one drawback is that we struggle to get four decent size pots on at one time - even three if one is bigger, a frying pan for example. I think that a three burner, in line with decent spacing between burners might suit us better but have yet to see such a beast.

I went for this Baumatic hob: http://uk.shopping.com/xPO-Baumatic-P62SS

The mains connection is purely for the ignition, so if I'm not on shore power the inverter takes care of it, or if the inverter happens to be off I can light it manually.

It has FFDs but I'm afraid I have no idea about different types.

Edit: It was a bit pricey, and if I'm honest the real reason I ended up with this hob is that I originally picked a different model that was on display at Wikes very cheaply, but then after cutting the hole in the worktop I discovered it had no FFDs! :lol: So I sold it on ebay and had to find another hob with FFDs which fitted the hole I had cut. I don't know why, but I'd assumed all hobs had this safety feature.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for all the advice so far - very helpful, and it clearly confirms one does not have to be restricted to the chandlers usual offerings.

Highly recomended.

Ikea

Yeah, I'd go for IKEA too - we bought a two burner stainless hob. Cheap as chips and came with lpg jets and ffd. Ignite it either with 240v or a match.

I'd not thought Ikea - I like some of those, (and the prices :lol: ). Look like they have proper cast pan supports, not the "folded heavy gauge" wire variety.

I'm struggling on the Ikea site that they all come with the LPG jets included as part of the deal, although clearly some do. Would you expect them to be "in there somewhere" with all of them, please ?

we have a four burner hob (can't rmember make) which works fine, the one drawback is that we struggle to get four decent size pots on at one time - even three if one is bigger, a frying pan for example. I think that a three burner, in line with decent spacing between burners might suit us better but have yet to see such a beast.

Yes, I know what you mean, although if it's no smaller in the essential areas than a Vanette, we will survive.

I'm not convinced about ones like the one Mike has posted, (although I quite like some of the Baumatics), as the "knob area" does seem to further reduce the space available for at least one of the pans. I think we can live with the controls being at the side still, if it gives more unrestricted pan space.

I need to have a proper measure up though, as I've assumed we'll always have enough space without igniting the upper cabin sides - now I'm not so sure!

Some reviews seem to say a stainless steel finish can be very hard to keep clrean, and soon scratches - any views on that, please ? Are we better off with an enamelled finish, still ?

Thanks for all the advice so far - very helpful, and it clearly confirms one does not have to be restricted to the chandlers usual offerings.

I'd not thought Ikea - I like some of those, (and the prices :lol: ). Look like they have proper cast pan supports, not the "folded heavy gauge" wire variety.

I'm struggling on the Ikea site that they all come with the LPG jets included as part of the deal, although clearly some do. Would you expect them to be "in there somewhere" with all of them, please ?

Mine were in with the instruction booklet. I checked the hob in Ikea and it clearly does have FFD, as these are mandatory in Sweden I assume that they are manufacturing to Swedish standards.

Yes, I know what you mean, although if it's no smaller in the essential areas than a Vanette, we will survive.

I'm not convinced about ones like the one Mike has posted, (although I quite like some of the Baumatics), as the "knob area" does seem to further reduce the space available for at least one of the pans. I think we can live with the controls being at the side still, if it gives more unrestricted pan space.

I need to have a proper measure up though, as I've assumed we'll always have enough space without igniting the upper cabin sides - now I'm not so sure!

Some reviews seem to say a stainless steel finish can be very hard to keep clrean, and soon scratches - any views on that, please ? Are we better off with an enamelled finish, still ?

Just keep it clean by wiping up any spills, an occasional quick squirt of WD40 and then polished works wonders. At least with a brushed finish you can give it a really good scour too!

I don't have any specific models to recommend but on the nature of FFD. If you make sure that it is sold as suitable for multi occupancy dwellings in the UK (flats etc) then it is perfectly OK for boats and the BSS. If bought from a non-chandlers (it will be cheaper if you do) then also make sure it comes with jets that are suitable for LPG to be fitted by the gas engineer.

If bought from a non-chandlers (it will be cheaper if you do) then also make sure it comes with jets that are suitable for LPG to be fitted by the gas engineer.

Ah yes!

I wonder who he, (or she), might be. :lol:

Seriously: It would be good if web-sites could display the full information on what is, or is not, included as standard. It would make the search much easier.

Ah yes!

I wonder who he, (or she), might be. :lol:

Seriously: It would be good if web-sites could display the full information on what is, or is not, included as standard. It would make the search much easier.

Shtum! Say no more! :lol:

I haven't done extensive research but when I have looked about ( as we may wish to replace our cooker at some point) all the FFD cookers suitable for multi occupancy dwellings all came with natural gas and LPG gas jets as std as part of the package but with the Natural gas ones already fitted and the LPG ones in the box to be fitted if required.

When I looked at cookers on Comet website they listed devices by FFD and in the specs said if the unit came with LPG jets as I recall.

Yes, many do say what's included.

Annoyingly some sites seem to get it wrong - I found a reasonable looking Baumatic - the summary page said it had FFDs, but the detailed data said it didn't. :lol:

The Ihea (Whirlpool) suggestion looks fine, and Alex said the LPG jets were included, but the scant info on Ikea's web-site says nowt, (unless there is a data sheet I have failed to find somewhere).

The one other nagging doubt I have is that many of these have burners that total quite a lot more in kilowatts than we probably have with the Vanette. I'm wondering if the existing pipework would be sufficient if you had too much powered on at once, (which I seem to recall the BSS man will do, even if you never do ?).

I need to find data book and see how the Vanette's burners are rated - as usual it will be on the b***dy boat!

We too are going down the separate hob and oven line, but not yet ready to buy.

In a previous bout of research I found FFD and FSD. Is this the other term you have seen (FSD = flame supervision device).

Now, I may be wrong but I think that the two, are one in the same thing - but I'm willing to learn! :lol:

...........edited to change safety to supervision...

Edited by dave69700

We too are going down the separate hob and oven line, but not yet ready to buy.

In a previous bout of research I found FFD and FSD. Is this the other term you have seen (FSD = flame supervision device).

Now, I may be wrong but I think that the two, are one in the same thing - but I'm willing to learn! :lol:

...........edited to change safety to supervision...

Tis same.

The one other nagging doubt I have is that many of these have burners that total quite a lot more in kilowatts than we probably have with the Vanette. I'm wondering if the existing pipework would be sufficient if you had too much powered on at once, (which I seem to recall the BSS man will do, even if you never do ?).

I need to find data book and see how the Vanette's burners are rated - as usual it will be on the b***dy boat!

Hi

I used 8mm pipe to supply both the oven and hob - never been a problem.

DSCF2063.jpg

The pipe at the back is from the bottle. The flex is to the hob (lifted up), the one to the right is the test point, the one to the left is to the oven.

Alex

Unfortunately, after a bit more research on this, I fear I'm close to answering my own question.

It seems that available depth (front to back), may defeat me with just about any of the alternatives.

It looks like a Vanette was only 405 mm deep, (I need to go and measure up, but sounds about right).

The much sold, but rather basic, Spinflo Series 7 is 420 mm deep - I can accommodate an extra 15mm, I'm sure.

But just about everything else, Belling, Hotpoint, Baumatic, Whirlpool, Ikea, etc seems to come in a depth of at least 500m, (some even more).

I'm almost certain I can't accommodate an extra 95mm (getting on for 4 inches), so nice though many of the alternatives look, I think I'm going to end up with a Spinflo. :lol:

Anyone got anything else that's no "deeper" than 42 cms, please ?