Getting things level???

Featured Posts

Wanting to fit a new bathroom on board - no straight lines to measure from as such - assume that my level is of no use while afloat and levels could change depending on how much fuel etc on board.

How do you ensure that basins, shower trays etc are level?

Am I being a total muppet on this?

Wanting to fit a new bathroom on board - no straight lines to measure from as such - assume that my level is of no use while afloat and levels could change depending on how much fuel etc on board.

I do know of one boat where someone used a level, and the whole fitout has a sort of corkscrew twist where he started at one end and worked his way to the other, steadily increasing the amount of weight on one side as he went.

Just make sure that everything is parallel to the floor (or at right-angles to it)

I do know of one boat where someone used a level, and the whole fitout has a sort of corkscrew twist where he started at one end and worked his way to the other, steadily increasing the amount of weight on one side as he went.

That made me giggle! :lol:

MP.

Just make sure that everything is parallel to the floor (or at right-angles to it)

I figured using a level might have that kind of effect and that the floor was probably the best bet but I'm not too confident about that either as seems to change level.

But thanks anyway for your help much appreciated.

some spirt levels can be turned? Set the level from the floor, or use a tape measure from the floor.

we used nothing more complicated than a large set square and lots of lining up by sighting with the known datum. The trick is to use the set square AND sighting in at least three dimensions that way anything that is out of wind will show itself.

Be prepared to make allowances too, nothing on a boat is perfectly straight.

Forget about using a spirit level, even one where you can adjust the bubble chamber - remember the boat is constantly moving. :lol:

Edited by bag 'o' bones

we used nothing more complicated than a large set square and lots of lining up by sighting with the known datum. The trick is to use the set square AND sighting in at least three dimensions that way anything that is out of wind will show itself.

Be prepared to make allowances too, nothing on a boat is perfectly straight.

Forget about using a spirit level, even one where you can adjust the bubble chamber - remember the boat is constantly moving. :lol:

I've never experienced more than three dimensions!

Rob

If it looks right it is right... :lol:

spot on. the eye is remarkably sensitive to levels, squares etc if you can learn to trust it. I agree about spirit levels - I only ever use mine as a straight edge. and use squares and measurements and string-lines.

cheers

nigel

:lol:

Me, 17 years old, four pints of bitter followed by three pints of scrumpy, he had to sell his car in the end :lol:

No doubt - and scrumpy has a lot to answer for - but my post wasn't exactly a question, with an exclamation mark at the end (think Doctor)

I did once after some mind altering substance.

No doubt - and mind altering substance has a lot to answer for - but my post wasn't exactly a question, with an exclamation mark at the end (think Doctor)

I seem to be caught in a time loop myself now

Wanting to fit a new bathroom on board -

Hi Rubble.

Make yourself a damned big 'Set square' and just make everything symmetrical with that.. If it was more than just a bathroom I would suggest making a template to give the correct dimensions around the hull, cabin sides and gunwale detail.