Those who dare to be different

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

I only recall ever seeing one centre cockpit steel narrowboat, and one steel 'dawncraft' style boat, yet the opportunities for an imaginative and probably more convenient design must be there.

Does the Shropshire Union "frobisher" type not qualify? I always liked the look of them and thought if ever I gave up working boats something like that would fit the bill. (I do know they have problems with the seal on the sliding roof but surely a modern design cdould cure that).

There is also a centre cockpit steel boat at New Mills(not frobisher) about 55ft long.

George ex nb Alton retired

Who would sneer at that classic combination? Did anyone actually do so?

I just remember a comment somewhere about boring red and green boats in marinas like car parks. But I still did it because although Jade is just a smallish colecraft of 20 years I love the history of it all.

BTW I have just been given a ltttle book with a pic of Chertsty as a working boat. The book is from the Shire Albums series, published in 1975

ISBN 0 8526311 4. If you are interested I will try to fandangle it to you.

How often would you catch a rope or worse, the pocket of your trousers, on those projecting handrails? Bl**dy dangerous if you ask me.

there's a dazzle-camouflage painted boat in Bristol - shades of blue, white and if I remember correctly yellow in slabs and straight lines. Very odd.

Maybe the owner is a member here and can post a picture.

As often as you would on any proturding handrail/cleat/bollard on any other boat one suspects

Proturding!

A really good word in the context of this boat.

I assume it means a s**t job, done by a so-called professional!

Edited by alan_fincher

• 1 month later...