Where to get 12V lighting

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Merry Christmas all

We have recived some money so we can get some new lights for our boat Dignity. Does any one know a stockist with a good selection. We are hoping to replace the saloon lights as I keep walking into the wall lights.

Hopeing to replace the kitchen lights as well as at the moment its a strip light can you get 12v or Led light for use in kitchen. We live in Nottingham.

Thanks in advance

Ian and Sarah

Merry Christmas all

We have recived some money so we can get some new lights for our boat Dignity. Does any one know a stockist with a good selection. We are hoping to replace the saloon lights as I keep walking into the wall lights.

Hopeing to replace the kitchen lights as well as at the moment its a strip light can you get 12v or Led light for use in kitchen. We live in Nottingham.

Thanks in advance

Ian and Sarah

I was talking to an electrician the other day regarding LED lights what with having plenty of experience fitting kitchen work top LED down lighters, and he reckoned that you need to test whatever fitting you decided on to see if it does the job.

The highlights of our conversation:

Ultra bright LED tend to be on the very 'cold' part of the light spectrum.

LEDs tend to far too directional in other words require a diffuser to spread the light in all directions. The majority of fittings I have seen do not have this feature.

Even when diffused they do not have the ability to 'bounce' light around a room like a flourescent strip light.

Cone shaped LED fittings tends to be better than the flat GU 10 type.

GU 10 Compact flourescents might be a better solution assuming you have the room in the roof space to house the starter.

Have to admit I still think there is a place for LED lighting but I don't think they are the Holy Grail that folk are claim them to be!

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Merry Christmas all

Thanks in advance

Ian and Sarah

All I can think of apart from a chandlers is Ikea or Maplins, both close to Notts. Dunno if that's any help.

Kev

P.S. This site looks good. (I'm not associated with them just liked the website.)

Edited by Dyad

I was talking to an electrician the other day regarding LED lights what with having plenty of experience fitting kitchen work top LED down lighters, and he reckoned that you need to test whatever fitting you decided on to see if it does the job.

The highlights of our conversation:

Ultra bright LED tend to be on the very 'cold' part of the light spectrum.

LEDs tend to far too directional in other words require a diffuser to spread the light in all directions. The majority of fittings I have seen do not have this feature.

Even when diffused they do not have the ability to 'bounce' light around a room like a flourescent strip light.

Cone shaped LED fittings tends to be better than the flat GU 10 type.

GU 10 Compact flourescents might be a better solution assuming you have the room in the roof space to house the starter.

Have to admit I still think there is a place for LED lighting but I don't think they are the Holy Grail that folk are claim them to be!

LEDs are not everyones cup of tea of course but much of what you have passed on from your "expert" is not really correct.

You can get very bright "warm white" LEDs now. Some feel this is a boat too yellow but it depends on what you are used to. Unless you buy expensive "day light" tubes nothing really mimics daylight.

Can be directional yes but the fittings these days much less so. We use LED replacement bulbs for the tungsten bulbs we had in our over head light units and they work just as well as the car bulbs they replaced.

It is nice to have something brighter in the galley area and an LED multiple source setup us good on a boat.

We have LEDs in replacement of ordinary and halogen bulbs throughout the boat and they work just fine and the power saving is significant in terms of drain on the battery. We can have all lights on (we don't do that though) at once for less than one of the old bulbs power consumption.

To call them the holy grail may be a bit strong but they have come along leaps and bounds recently and will be getting better as time goes on. The tone of the light they give off (or any other bulb) is a matter of taste there is no true colour other than daylight.

Merry Christmas all

Thanks in advance

Ian and Sarah

Try this chap for light units if you fancy LED lights.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/index.html

This is one we used in the galley on the boat. The three spread out light LED bulbs give a good spread of light and bright at that.

It's the fourth light fitting down. Each bulb in the unit is equiv to aprox an 18-20W hallogen bulb and you can get brighter bulbs as well.

http://www.bedazzled.uk.com/Light_Fittings.htm

Merry Christmas all

Thanks in advance

Ian and Sarah

Hi

Have a look at caravan shops, thyt often have a good display - and cheaper.

ebay

Alex

You would be suprised what goodies can be found in a car scrapyard - I kid not, a colleauge has just used some interior lights from a Jaguar in his boat and they look like a million dollars!!. Superb set in lights with directional reading lights, he got them for £4 each.

Depends what your after.

- In emilyanne the bulk lighting is done with 8 and 16w 2D and strip florecent fittings. There pretty efficent and give out a fairly nice light and last for ever but are not super cheap to buy. With then a number of GU4 halogen spot lights for reading lights on the galley seat.

LEDs are getting better and better and i do mean to try some but a lot of them are still very cold.

Cold cathode florenents are also very good and we have a number of 240v GU10 CCFL's in the house but lowvoltage ones seem very expensive.

Daniel

UltraLed

http://ultraleds.co.uk/

It might be worth buying one of the ones that you think you want and trying them before you commit in volume

as there are many types and there are some variances in colour and angle of beam between them.

We tend to use their LEDs for working areas like the galley and the dinette tables, but keep halogens for reading lights

as they appear softer.

It is very much a subject of personal preference, hence my recommendation to experiment rather than listening to others.

Some useful info (as well as products) on this site

http://www.baddiethepirate.co.uk/

We bought some from said lady.

- They dont work badly and if powers a limiting factor go for it, however having converted our light fittings to take the GU4 spots (led replacments) i bought the GU4 halogens and havent looked back! More light, nicer light, cheaper, and as we cruse most days and only use elec for light and pumps etc power isnt an issue.

Daniel

LEDs are not everyones cup of tea of course but much of what you have passed on from your "expert" is not really correct.

Hmmm

You can get very bright "warm white" LEDs now. Some feel this is a boat too yellow but it depends on what you are used to. Unless you buy expensive "day light" tubes nothing really mimics daylight.

Nobody has mentioned that they have to be 'daylight bulbs' its just that the most efficient LED lights tend to be the very harsh bluey-white variety

Can be directional yes but the fittings these days much less so. Hence why I mentioned diffused LED lights are preferable. We use LED replacement bulbs for the tungsten bulbs we had in our over head light units and they work just as well as the car bulbs they replaced.

Fair enough except that if your looking to replace bulbs like for like then i think most people would be disapointed with the results. Like I mentioned above - try before you buy.

It is nice to have something brighter in the galley area and an LED multiple source setup us good on a boat.

We have LEDs in replacement of ordinary and halogen bulbs throughout the boat and they work just fine and the power saving is significant in terms of drain on the battery. We can have all lights on (we don't do that though) at once for less than one of the old bulbs power consumption.

That is not in doubt

To call them the holy grail may be a bit strong but they have come along leaps and bounds recently and will be getting better as time goes on. The tone of the light they give off (or any other bulb) is a matter of taste there is no true colour other than daylight.

Totally agree, I imagine LED's will replace all filament lamps in the future. The 'expert' also agrees!

Nobody has mentioned that they have to be 'daylight bulbs' its just that the most efficient LED lights tend to be the very harsh bluey-white variety

NOT TRUE! Warm whites can be bought just as bright. By the way I mentioned daylight bulbs . Also worth mentioning you can buy LED bulbs that have a 360 deg spread, ya can't rally get beyond that.

Fair enough except that if your looking to replace bulbs like for like then i think most people would be disapointed with the results. Like I mentioned above - try before you buy.

Some people of course won't like it much like yourself but it doesn't follow that most people will be disappointed. I agree though it is best to try anything out of you can before you commit to buying replacement lamps of any type.

NOT TRUE! Warm whites can be bought just as bright. By the way I mentioned daylight bulbs . Also worth mentioning you can buy LED bulbs that have a 360 deg spread, ya can't rally get beyond that.

Some people of course won't like it much like yourself but it doesn't follow that most people will be disappointed. I agree though it is best to try anything out of you can before you commit to buying replacement lamps of any type.

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick to be honest.

Its not i'm against LED lighting its just that there are certain styles of lighting that do not lend themselves easily to LED conversion. For example MR11 spots which just don't have the enough space to house the required number of LEDS to replicate the amount of light produced by a halogen.

I think your getting the wrong end of the stick to be honest.

Its not i'm against LED lighting its just that there are certain styles of lighting that do not lend themselves easily to LED conversion. For example MR11 spots which just don't have the enough space to house the required number of LEDS to replicate the amount of light produced by a halogen.

I don't think I am getting the wrong end of the stick. I am just challenging statements that are not correct.

It depends on the wattage or more importantly the Lumens of the halogen already in place. You can get good LED MR11 up to around equiv of a 15W MR11 halogen. if the Halogen bulb you are replacing is greater then of course it will seem dimmer and you may need another light unit.

Just my choice of course but replacing conventional bulbs with LED on our boat made no real difference to light levels. We only bought an actual new light fitting in the Galley area as the original was not bright enough so just replacing with an equivalent LED would still not have been enough.

The light output of each individual LED is increasing as they find better ways to make these things so what may be so now won't be later on.

I don't think I am getting the wrong end of the stick. I am just challenging statements that are not correct.

It depends on the wattage or more importantly the Lumens of the halogen already in place. You can get good LED MR11 up to around equiv of a 15W MR11 halogen. if the Halogen bulb you are replacing is greater then of course it will seem dimmer and you may need another light unit.

Just my choice of course but replacing conventional bulbs with LED on our boat made no real difference to light levels. We only bought an actual new light fitting in the Galley area as the original was not bright enough so just replacing with an equivalent LED would still not have been enough.

The light output of each individual LED is increasing as they find better ways to make these things so what may be so now won't be later on.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on some of the topics discussed. Like I have and others have mentioned before you can't beat trying out different combinations until you find something that suits rather than taking someone elses word for it.

At this point in time there are so many diffrent ways of achieving the same results and varying product qualities that there is bound to be disagreements on what is good and what is not. One thing is for sure however give the technology a few more years and I think even the cheapest LED fitting on e-bay will be good enough.

I think LED bulbs are at the same juncture as compact flourescents a few years ago - illuminating but no match for the cheapest incandescent (anyone remember the Phillips 'jam jar' bulbs? Heavy, cumbersome and almost useless!) :lol: