Pump out toilets

jelunga

Featured Posts

Very informative thread, lots of useful information that I have been looking for.

So it looks like a two week cycle would be a good starting point for a pump-out service.

A question I like to throw in here, if I may..

How much would you be willing to pay to empty a cassete (I would empty and rinse it etc), taking into account that you would not have to walk down the towpath, don't have to carry a heavy cassette, don't have to clean it,etc.. Think rain, mud, etc... :lol:

:lol: Hi

I dont know where this silly " Hump it down the towpath " idea comes from do people with pumpout tanks hump them down the towpath ? For the uninitiated a Boat MOVES wehter it has a pumpout or cassette toilet is not relevant I simply move my boat along side the service point and hump the cassettte elleven feet which takes me about 2.5 seconds er and emptied and back on the boat before a pumpout hose would even be connected.........

I'm not on the boat at present....but it was the only one that Leesan had...that would fit under the bed....

Its something like......20 inches high......2 foot wide...and six feet long...but thats a guess...

I know they had several..and this one is specially made to fit under the bed in that kind of space...

It is along the centre line of the boat on the corridor side of the bed....and leaves me a space for my calorifier and a portapotti.

Its capacity is 57 gallons..

Cheers.

Bob

With those dimensions your tank is 125 galls! Call it 120 galls as your dimensions are external+ internal baffling will reduce it slightly.

Work it out, 6.25 gals per cubic foot.

A very long time ago now but when I designed my last boat, I measured a few tanks and did my best to double the size, ended up with dimensions 48" x 20" x 14" = 13,440 cu. inches (7.8 cu. feet).

For maximum capacity take the tank through the floor down to the base plate and try for the maximum width for stability of the boat.. For me all that meant 14" high, 48" wide, front to back 20".

Edited by John Orentas

Also remember you will not be able to use the full height; you probably won't want to fill it to the top if you can avoid it, and you won't be able to pump out the last half-inch or so (there's a trade-off between the necessary clearance to be sure there won't be a blockage when pumping out, versus the desire to get the end of the pipe as near the bottom of the tank as possible). So a flat low tank has less usable capacity than a small high one of the same cubic capacity.

A very long time ago now but when I designed my last boat, I measured a few tanks and did my best to double the size, ended up with dimensions 48" x 20" x 14" = 13,440 cu. inches (93 cu. feet).

For maximum capacity take the tank through the floor down to the base plate and try for the maximum width for stability of the boat.. For me all that meant 14" high, 48" wide, front to back 20".

You have divided by 144, it should have been 1728 (12x12x12) which leaves 7.7 cu ft = 48.6 galls

Back of the class you naughty boy :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree

With those dimensions your tank is 125 galls! Call it 120 galls as your dimensions are external+ internal baffling will reduce it slightly.

Work it out, 6.25 gals per cubic foot.

Hey...don't pick on me...

OK...as you wanted to know...and I said it was only 'memory' only....I have looked it up on the Leesan website...

It is : L 1.750 W 500 H 330 and holds 57 gallons.....

Hope that helps...

Bob

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. But you have quite a high fluid intake. But then maybe you tend to pump bilges in the pub?

Just incase you missed it, the good news is that, bar actually paying for it, we have a boat!!!

Keith

I've got a 100 gal holding tank and a dump through.

Only me on board and it lasts about 8 - 10 weeks between pump-outs.

My tank also goes across the width of the boat (it's the step up in to the engine room) so it doesn't cause any problems with trim.

Very informative thread, lots of useful information that I have been looking for.

So it looks like a two week cycle would be a good starting point for a pump-out service.

A question I like to throw in here, if I may..

How much would you be willing to pay to empty a cassete (I would empty and rinse it etc), taking into account that you would not have to walk down the towpath, don't have to carry a heavy cassette, don't have to clean it,etc.. Think rain, mud, etc... :lol:

£0.00

Sorry, but it is such a trvial job that I aint paying anybody to do it.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. But you have quite a high fluid intake. But then maybe you tend to pump bilges in the pub?

Just incase you missed it, the good news is that, bar actually paying for it, we have a boat!!!

Keith

:lol:;):lol:

Its a fine balance between flushing the kidneys and saving the liver. I'm getting the hang of it now, but its taken a lot of practice :lol:

Good news on the boat front..... so, do tell....

Our tank is only 16 gallons but we can makes it last about four weeks (although we are only there friday evening to monday morning). It helps that pubs have toiltets :lol:

Do you get them from the machine on the wall ;)

Hi Steve,

Keith

Hooray! Do tell us about it!

I'm thinking Sussex (mini-) banter, possibly. I might even get round to posting it in the proper place.