Older Boat

Whitewater

Featured Posts

maybe ! Why?

To me, there is quite a difference between an abstract discussion about a hypothetical 1960's boat, and a real discussion about a specific River class boat. You'll get better advice this way.

As it is an ex working boat someone on here will know it's history and help you out.

And get you own survey. How can you know what has happened to a hull in the last two years. Your own surveyor will give you professional advice on how the boat is now.

Richard

Nice boat!

Looking at the name on the side and the company name that 'fitted it out' could it be the same Jenkins as the owner of the broker?

If it is, in my opinion probably a good thing. I bought our boat via Simon and his cheerful company crew.

Just an observation.

Martyn

I beleive Ant is currently out of the water, so possibly a good time to either pop over and see it, or to arrange a survey?

Went to see her last weekend, she was in the water, but got some photos of her when she was in dock....

I think I'd be more worried about a 5LW engine! :lol:

If you do go ahead, it's worth seeing if they will throw in any water skis as part of the deal !

Frightening!

Am river based, so with a little stream running she should be more than able to cope

They don't apparently, hence the engine.

If it's a motorised butty, how it swims will depend much more on the (presumably 'new') stern shape than on the original bow. Until you get to waterskiing speeds, that is! :lol:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

It was a semi serious question in that the blue tops had a reputation for swimming badly compared to older carrying boats, but I wondered if they were so bad when compared to modern leisure boats, to which I would imagine their underwater shape bears a greater resemblance.

sorry being caggey as am keen on buying "Ant" was trying to avoid being beaten to the punch. As some say its an old boat, it is a Simon boat and it looks great..

If serious, put down a deposit, refundable subject to survey, and get a receipt, you now have a contract.

Get a new survey done, hopefully someone on here will recommend a good surveyor.

If you decide not to buy after the survey is done you may be able to recoup any cost by offering it to another prospective buyer.

It was a semi serious question in that the blue tops had a reputation for swimming badly compared to older carrying boats, but I wondered if they were so bad when compared to modern leisure boats, to which I would imagine their underwater shape bears a greater resemblance.

By reputation they don't swim as well as pre-war boats or ones built in a more traditional style but I have never tried one myself.

I imagine compared to a modern boat they are not much different in both will be rather slab sided. Better modern boats may have longer swims perhaps but they won't have the nice curves of the pre-war boats just straight sides. So I guess the River class could compare reasonably with a modern boat with similar length swims. The front end is rather blunt but it seems the rear swims are the more important area.